Author Topic: Rick Ross: #1 Hustler  (Read 506 times)

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Rick Ross: #1 Hustler
« on: May 22, 2006, 02:58:38 PM »
Straight out of Miami, Rick Ross is the latest addition to the burgeoning Def Jam roster under President Carter’s reign. As a member of the Slip-N-Slide crew, home to the likes of Trick Daddy and Trina, Ross is coming at the rap game hard, having spent 12 years trying to get a break.

Any fan of hip hop should already be familiar with the street anthem that is Hustlin’, Ross’ debut single. Yet, this is only a taster for his upcoming LP, Port of Miami, an album which features production and guest appearances from some of today’s hottest stars, including Just Blaze, Jazze Pha, and Kanye West.

Reppin’ the 305 all the way, Rick Ross is keen to put Miami firmly on the map, and with his debut album, he’s set to do what T.I. did for the ATL and beyond.

With a sound so distinctive and unique, Rick Ross is proclaiming his debut to be a classic, in the same way that Ready To Die was for Biggie. Described as a cross between Jay-Z and UGK, the Miami hustler is ready to take his music to the masses. HHDX got on the phone to Def Jam’s new signing to find out what all the fuss was about…

You’re a member of the Slip-N-Slide crew. Can you give us a bit of background about how you got into the game?

I just started doing my thing on tapes, took it to the streets with mixtapes, and you know, Slip-N-Slide was one of only a few outlets in Miami, so I took the music over there and we had a little situation, and there you go, I signed in ’03.

You’ve been in the business for a while – why do you think it took so long to get your music recognized?

Well, you know, the music scene in Miami was never like the music scene in New York with a lot of record labels around. So I was on the streets, doing a lot of other things, and I only really started focusing on my music in the last five years, so I just felt like I had to be patient.

You’ve done some ghostwriting in the past as well – is there anyone you care to mention?

No, ’cos I wanna keep in business!

Fair enough! Tell us about the part of Miami you grew up in, ’cos it’s rather different from the sun, sea and sand we’re used to hearing about.

I grew up on the other side of the bridge. I represent Carys City, where the struggle at, the hustle at; it’s represented in my music. Miami is a melting pot – a lot of different ethnic backgrounds. You know, we got the Haitians, the Hispanics, so there’s a lot of different things happening in Miami; that’s one reason why I called my album Port Of Miami, just to show everybody the different things going on, you know, the early cocaine era, and the early Eighties/early Nineties eras. I grew up in a narcotics area, so you know, I was always in the streets and I stayed focused, did what I did, let everyone else do what they do and we just clicked, you know?

How does your upbringing in that part of Miami affect the way you do business and approach the music industry today?

Of course, I can only do what I know, so I did the same with my music, hustlin’; that’s why the first single called (Everyday I’m) Hustlin’.

How would you describe your music?

For people who haven’t heard my music, I’d call it a cross between UGK and Jay-Z.

What about the sound? It’s very different from a typical Miami beat…

Yeah, it’s a little more lyricism; the beats may be a little different from what you would anticipate, but you know, it’s most definitely some legendary material. I knew Hustlin’ was gonna be a huge hit as soon as I recorded it.

Who or what influenced you in the making of the LP, Port Of Miami?

Just being able to express my experiences in Miami and represent where I’m from on this level, that’s what really got me going into the LP the way I did, ’cos me being a fan of music, and I listen to Amerika’s Most Wanted and NWA and the most important thing I took from the music, is after I heard the CD, I felt like I knew it was right to be in California, and that’s the kinda feeling I want people to get when they listen to Port Of Miami. I wanna take you back to the classical NWA era, and the Ice Cube Amerika’s Most Wanted era.

How long did the whole process take from coming up with ideas to laying it down over the beats?

To be honest, for me it comes kinda easy, as long as I’m smoking what I desire! I usually don’t have a problem when I got great production around me, so everything came together quite well. I don’t do production, so I got Just Blaze, Cool & Dre, Jazze Pha, Kanye West, Nitty, Snoop Dogg… You know, me and Cool & Dre, they’re a part of the movement we got goin’ on in Miami, so whenever I want something special, you know. I wrote a record for Trina, that was the first record to go on a major label, so you know, we got a lot of hits together, so you know… Collaborations, you can expect Jay-Z on the album, UGK, my group Carys City Cartel, another group coming out of Miami, Briscoe… It’s gonna be a classic album.

You rate your own album as a classic – what other albums do you rate alongside it?

Port Of Miami is gonna do for Rick Ross and Miami what Doggystyle did for Snoop Dogg and Long Beach; what Ready To Die did for Notorious B.I.G. and his town… what Reasonable Doubt was for Jay-Z and Brooklyn.

What do you like best about Miami?

Other than the weather? It’s flat, it’s spread out, and it’s a beautiful organism of land… Other than the flourishing hydroponics cultivation? There’s just a lot of things good about this city, and you know, the city showed me nothing but love, so I’ma rep it till the casket rot. And the beaches… the beaches, oh yeah!

A lot of things have been said about the state of hip hop in the last couple of years – what do you think of the hip hop scene at present?

I love it!

Do you feel it’s lacking anything?

No. But you gotta understand that hip hop manages itself. When it’s time for it to evolve, it will.

You mentioned previously working with Trina, and you recently worked with Jackie-O and Angie Martinez. Who do you consider to be the best female rapper in the game?

I don’t know, but the way Mary J. Blige sounded on that Busta Rhymes’ remix, she sounded better than Rah Digga to me! But I got a female artist by the name of Ashley Walsh, she’s gonna be the best female emcee in the rap game!

What makes her so different from everyone else?

For one, she writes her own rhymes! And that separates her from all those names we just mentioned. Two, she’s gorgeous, and at 21-years-old, she’s very, very talented. And she works hard too, she’s committed.

Where do you hope to be in five years’ time?

20 million sold, successful label with Six One Entertainment, cannabis cup champion…!

E. J. Rizo

Re: Rick Ross: #1 Hustler
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »
does anyone know what this guy does every day ???  ;D

"everyday im hustlin"

LMAO annoying song

Vegasmac25

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:24:32 PM »
Is it me or is Rick Ross just another garbage rapper with a great label.

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »

average to below average, not garbage

regimemob510

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 11:31:35 PM »

average to below average, not garbage

westkoastanostra

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »
does anyone know what this guy does every day ???  ;D

"everyday im hustlin"

LMAO annoying song

Matty

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »
i think word to describe rick ross is generic. he's one of the most generic rappers to ever come out, which is lame.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 11:05:23 AM »
i remember when i heard his song on the radio for the first tyme, the first 2 minutes all said "everyday im hustlin"
it got annoyin as hell after the first 30 seconds lol

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Mr. RuthlessG

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »

Agreed.

wcsoldier

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:26:49 AM »
Wack artist and Jay is doing an incredible weak work  as a CEO

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 10:41:29 AM »
Man, mainstream hip-hop is dead, and Rick Ross represents the decaying of the corpse.  Like everyone said, he's generic, there is nothing about his music that captures the imagination, if this was the 80's or 90's this dude would be working at UPS.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

SGV

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 11:05:13 AM »
We all know everyone on this site would be on Rick Ross' dick if he was from Cali. He's got the makings of every Gangsta rapper people worship here. His only problem is that he's from the South.

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:52 AM »
I'm Diggin This Song. I'll Get Tired Of It Though, Once It Get's Played The Fuck Out.
My Future Wife:

Dj Eskimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • <iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamer
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 04:51:42 AM »
i remember when i heard his song on the radio for the first tyme, the first 2 minutes all said "everyday im hustlin"
it got annoyin as hell after the first 30 seconds lol

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/insertgamertaghere.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
http://www.myspace.com

icebergslimIII

• 'G'
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 12:42:05 PM »
That nigga Rick Ross is hot as fuck right now in Texas. I thought he was Suge Knight when I first saw that Hustlin video. I bet Rick Ross sells more than that Mobb Deep CD. Hustlin is a bigger banger than thta played sound from Cali Iz Active.  Recognize Niggaz!