Author Topic: XXL Reviews Obie Trice Second Rounds On Me  (Read 331 times)

Mr. Humonculous

XXL Reviews Obie Trice Second Rounds On Me
« on: May 31, 2006, 12:03:38 PM »
Obie Trice "SROM" Gets Rated XL in magazine

They say that whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. So maybe Obie Trice should thank the bullet lodged in his head. This past New Year's Eve, the Detroit MC got caught in the crosshairs of the escalating gun violence that has claimed the lives of three prominent local rappers in less than two years (including his label mate Proof). Based on the Motor City's rising death toll, Obie's narrow escape makes him one of the lucky ones. With a constant reminder of his mortality stuck in his skull, Obie seems determined to make the most of his second chance at life by putting the D's strife into song on his sophmore effort, "Second Round's on Me."

While Obie's 2003 debut, "Cheers" was filled with lyrical prowess, its potential was overshadowed by the cartoonish lead single "Got Some Teeth," which sounded like a Slim Shady outtake. He's obviously learned from that mistake. Mr. Mathers doesn't serve as an overbearing presence here, but rather as a worthy copilot through Obie's bleak oratories of Detroit streets. On the Eminem produced "Violent," O. Trice set the dark tone for the album, rhyming, "Hat match the jacket/Jacket match the glove/Glove match the mack that sends *****'s above."

Often associated with a tinny, keyboard-heavy sound, Eminem's expanded production palated helps his protege find his swagger on the creepy thump "Kill Me a Mutha" and "Ballad of Obie," where acoustic guitars, firecrack'r snares and soothing electric whispers are the sonic foundation. Trice's superb attention to visual details and calculated rhyme structures serves as the perfect complement. With live drums, horn stabs and a soulful moan, the Sicknotes-produced "Cry Now" shows him at his most lyricaly adept ("We cock out tools and shoot out own color / This ain't Detroit Red, you won't X me out Malcolm / My exodus woul never be from a violent outcome / I turn exorcist on *****'s with extra clips / Exit on my ethics is no longer present / X ray said I was this close to heaven.")

Second Round rises above being merely a show of complex wordplay. With producer Jonathan "JR" Rotem serving as the album's other major collaborator, Obie is able to add historical context to his struggles. Backed by JR's soulful horns and congas on the Trey Songz featured "Mama," O spits, "Been on the block form dusk 'til dawn / 'Til that shit Whites brought to America's gone." The pair creates similar chemistry on the deeply personal "Obie Story," as JR and Rigo "Riggs" Morales' layered wall of sound shifts from somber to energetic and back again, depending on the subject matter ("Dad ain't around / He left a ***** saggin' in them Superman draws that one Saturday / Is it my fault, shit got dark?").

Trice barely struggles lyrically, but on the guitar drenched "Ghetto" he spews elementary bars like, "I'm from where the diapers full of feces...Bodies lay in traffic, that's right where the streets be." Other infractions are the Mr. Lee produced bounce track "Terrible" and Eminem's faux dancehall cut "Jamaican Girl," which both sound completely out of place among the rest of the album's darker material. Aside from these awkward broad strokes, Obie paints a memorable allegory of Detroit's social woes and their affect on his own life. Filled with unflinching street tales and dense lyrical couplets, Second Round should be sipped slowly for full potency. No shots to the head necessary.

Brendan Frederick

The album got an XL

Don Breezio

Re: XXL Reviews Obie Trice Second Rounds On Me
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
sounds good...makes me really look forward to the album (not that i haven't been since cheers came out)

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 12:23:38 PM »
sounds good...makes me really look forward to the album (not that i haven't been since cheers came out)

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 02:09:45 PM »
Thanks sounds dope. How come XXL still hasnt review Big Bang ?

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 02:17:07 PM »
And the countdown begins.....
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 03:17:53 PM »
Cool, I'm not really anticipating this album but it will probably be solid.  "Cheers" was underrated.

Monotone

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
Honestly im not sure how credible this review is, XXL tend to be "kind" on Interscope artists as they are responsible for the majority of ad revenue XXL receive

So until you hear the album with your own ears, take this for what it is....just an opinion...and they come a dime a dozen

SlickPants

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:27:45 PM »
i don't trust any XXL review of g-unit/shady/aftermath.  obie getting an XL puts him on the same level as... tony yayo.