Author Topic: How long will the US lead the world?  (Read 454 times)

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
How long will the US lead the world?
« on: June 04, 2006, 08:47:59 PM »
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13123358/site/newsweek/

Intell CEO Andy Grove:  "America ... [is going] down the tubes," he says, "and the worst part is nobody knows it. They're all in denial, patting themselves on the back, as the Titanic heads for the iceberg full speed ahead."

Another quote:

So what should the United States do? What has it done in the past? First, be scared, be very scared. The United States has a history of worrying that it is losing its edge. This is at least the fourth wave of such concerns since 1945. The first was in the late 1950s, produced by the Soviet Union's launch of the Sputnik satellite. The second was during the early 1970s, when high oil prices and slow growth in the U.S. convinced Americans that Western Europe and Saudi Arabia were the powers of the future and President Nixon heralded the advent of a multipolar world. The most recent one was in the mid-1980s, when most experts believed that Japan would be the technologically and economically dominant superpower of the future. The concerns in each one these cases was well founded, the projections intelligent. But the reason that none of these scenarios came to pass is that the American system—flexible, resourceful and resilient—moved quickly to correct its mistakes and refocus its attention. Concerns about American decline ended up preventing it. As Andy Grove puts it, "Only the paranoid survive."

America's problem right now is that it is not really that scared. There is an intelligent debate about these issues among corporate executives, writers and the thin sliver of the public than is informed on these issues. But mainstream America is still unconcerned. Partly this is because these trends are operating at an early stage and somewhat under the surface. Americans do not really know how fast the rest of the world is catching up. We don't quite believe that most of the industrialized world—and a good part of the nonindustrialized world as well—has better cell-phone systems than we do. We would be horrified to learn that many have better and cheaper broadband—even France. We are told by our politicians that we have the best health-care system in the world, despite strong evidence to the contrary. We ignore the fact that a third of our public schools are totally dysfunctional because it doesn't affect our children. We boast that our capital markets are the world's finest even though of the 25 largest stock offerings (IPOs) made last year, only one was held in America. It is not an exaggeration to say that over the past five years, because of bad American policies, London is replacing New York as the world's financial capital.

J Bananas

Re: How long will the US lead the world?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 09:07:43 PM »
so should the government create a branch dedicated to scaring people? ooh youd love that it would be something else to bitch about

Ant

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:50:20 PM »
so should the government create a branch dedicated to scaring people? ooh youd love that it would be something else to bitch about

I sincerely hope you don't struggle as much as it seems to make sense of written words.  I'd really like to know what your honest intentions are with most of your posts here. Most of the time I'm sharing articles I find interesting, sometimes I'm here just for relaxation and entertainment.  As best I can figure, your just around to make an ass out of yourself. 

You think you're being cute, but 10 years from now, my taxes will be subsidizing your stupidity, and probably the stupidity of your kids.  What's even worse is people like yourself, get enjoyment out of bein retards now, but ultimately your enjoyment is fleeting.  10 years from now you'll be upset with your life for lack of personal accomplishment, and you'll be too stupid to dig yourself out of your hole.  Take a look at the general middle age population.  This country, and others, are littered with depressed losers that spent too many years thinking they were cool.

The very fact that you get to dick around on your ass posting nonsense is made possible because of hardworking open minded, intelligent people, that behave in manners much different than yourself.  Your arrogant enough to call yourself "God Logic" but try to imagine a world really ran by people of your intelligence.  Do you really think people driving US power and innovation behave and think like you? Luckily, there are at least a few million people in the world that contribute enough to make up for your wasted existence.

WestCoasta

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 09:57:53 PM »
^^ hilarious

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 11:39:11 PM »

I sincerely hope you don't struggle as much as it seems to make sense of written words.  I'd really like to know what your honest intentions are with most of your posts here. Most of the time I'm sharing articles I find interesting, sometimes I'm here just for relaxation and entertainment.  As best I can figure, your just around to make an ass out of yourself. 

You think you're being cute, but 10 years from now, my taxes will be subsidizing your stupidity, and probably the stupidity of your kids.  What's even worse is people like yourself, get enjoyment out of bein retards now, but ultimately your enjoyment is fleeting.  10 years from now you'll be upset with your life for lack of personal accomplishment, and you'll be too stupid to dig yourself out of your hole.  Take a look at the general middle age population.  This country, and others, are littered with depressed losers that spent too many years thinking they were cool.

The very fact that you get to dick around on your ass posting nonsense is made possible because of hardworking open minded, intelligent people, that behave in manners much different than yourself.  Your arrogant enough to call yourself "God Logic" but try to imagine a world really ran by people of your intelligence.  Do you really think people driving US power and innovation behave and think like you? Luckily, there are at least a few million people in the world that contribute enough to make up for your wasted existence.

HAHHAHAHAHAHAH  good shit..
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

J Bananas

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2006, 12:02:40 AM »

rotfl

Word to Everything

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 12:06:56 AM »

Dipset

coola

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:39:52 AM »
power and control is only maintained whilst there is growth and expansion. no expansion = loss of power...

therefore the iraq war..

Don Rizzle

• Capo Di Tutti Capi
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 02:24:16 AM »
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/13123358/site/newsweek/

Intell CEO Andy Grove:  "America ... [is going] down the tubes," he says, "and the worst part is nobody knows it. They're all in denial, patting themselves on the back, as the Titanic heads for the iceberg full speed ahead."

Another quote:

So what should the United States do? What has it done in the past? First, be scared, be very scared. The United States has a history of worrying that it is losing its edge. This is at least the fourth wave of such concerns since 1945. The first was in the late 1950s, produced by the Soviet Union's launch of the Sputnik satellite. The second was during the early 1970s, when high oil prices and slow growth in the U.S. convinced Americans that Western Europe and Saudi Arabia were the powers of the future and President Nixon heralded the advent of a multipolar world. The most recent one was in the mid-1980s, when most experts believed that Japan would be the technologically and economically dominant superpower of the future. The concerns in each one these cases was well founded, the projections intelligent. But the reason that none of these scenarios came to pass is that the American system—flexible, resourceful and resilient—moved quickly to correct its mistakes and refocus its attention. Concerns about American decline ended up preventing it. As Andy Grove puts it, "Only the paranoid survive."

America's problem right now is that it is not really that scared. There is an intelligent debate about these issues among corporate executives, writers and the thin sliver of the public than is informed on these issues. But mainstream America is still unconcerned. Partly this is because these trends are operating at an early stage and somewhat under the surface. Americans do not really know how fast the rest of the world is catching up. We don't quite believe that most of the industrialized world—and a good part of the nonindustrialized world as well—has better cell-phone systems than we do. We would be horrified to learn that many have better and cheaper broadband—even France. We are told by our politicians that we have the best health-care system in the world, despite strong evidence to the contrary. We ignore the fact that a third of our public schools are totally dysfunctional because it doesn't affect our children. We boast that our capital markets are the world's finest even though of the 25 largest stock offerings (IPOs) made last year, only one was held in America. It is not an exaggeration to say that over the past five years, because of bad American policies, London is replacing New York as the world's financial capital.
pfffff London has been financial capital for years!!

america is slowly losing their dominance they don't have the same weight in the major internationa; institutions they once had they'll slip behind india and china in the next 30 to 50 years........

iraq would just get annexed by iran

That would be a great solution.  If Iran and the majority of Iraqi's are pleased with it, then why shouldn't they do it?

Trauma-san

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »
How long will the US lead the world?

Forever