Author Topic: What is missing from Hip Hop today?  (Read 478 times)

The Classics

• Lil Geezy
Re: What is missing from Hip Hop today?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 02:59:19 PM »
Variety. It's too much of a risk to be creative and if someone steps out of the box and is successful with it then the new trend is set and we complain about that.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »
Hip Hop is missing FREEDOM. No artist will put out an album of what they want to, and if they do, they get hated on like Kanye West.

Nice job on the research. I did the same back in the 90's. Now I think I have a full feel of Hip-Hop. I knew it from the westcoast side, but I never truly understood the east, which is why I was so quick to say Fuck New York, Jay-Z sucks, and so on. Then you realize the whole picture, now I can truly enjoy an old school eastcoast album. I remember I had the whole MC Shan/KRS-One battle in my headphones for a week and I could not stop listening to it.

And maybe that's what's missing. These new cats aren't listening to the true old school. They think Hard Knock Life is an old school track.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
Hip Hop is missing FREEDOM. No artist will put out an album of what they want to, and if they do, they get hated on like Kanye West.

Nice job on the research. I did the same back in the 90's. Now I think I have a full feel of Hip-Hop. I knew it from the westcoast side, but I never truly understood the east, which is why I was so quick to say Fuck New York, Jay-Z sucks, and so on. Then you realize the whole picture, now I can truly enjoy an old school eastcoast album. I remember I had the whole MC Shan/KRS-One battle in my headphones for a week and I could not stop listening to it.

And maybe that's what's missing. These new cats aren't listening to the true old school. They think Hard Knock Life is an old school track.

Word!! Agreed Definetly.

WestCoasta

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 03:42:44 PM »
hip-hop is missing albums from artists, period

too many politics get in the way leading to people (companies) making shitty records and aiming it at shitty audiences

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »
hip-hop is missing albums from artists, period

too many politics get in the way leading to people (companies) making shitty records and aiming it at shitty audiences

True definitely too much politics in hip hop going on right now and the rap game is over crowded so many new artists popping up left and right and most of them are just followers not trendsetters...

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 05:09:17 PM »
I can sit here and type up an article about this shit, but the things missing in (what the general public knows as) hip-hop is basically everything it was based on to begin with...And it starts with REALNESS. Sure, there are lots of real cats coming out, but they are overshaddowed, and I really don't agree with that...The real cats don't get the shine...PeACe

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 06:00:23 PM »
Mainstream Hip Hop of today (and I use that term loosely), is by and large a joke in my opinion.  Peeps have touched on the big problems:  lack of creativity, major label monopolies, radio station monopolies, too predictable, redundant, payola, etc.   The balance of power is heavily skewed to one side, and it's killing the game.

There are still quality artists, but it is very difficult to get their voice heard.  Let me ask yall this:  Do you think a major corporation wants an independant thinking, intelligent person dropping albums on their roster, or some ignorant ass mother fucker that can't read contracts and will do any fucking thing you tell them for a few bucks?  If all you're concerned with is your bottom line rather than the art, you want that shit to be as dumb and accessible as possible - gotta get that mass appeal.  Little kids don't know any better, and they gobble anything up that they are told is "hot".  That's a huge problem to me.  

Do you think songs like Laffy Taffy are new to Hip Hop?  Hell no, that isn't something new.  The problem is that balance is lacking.  If I turn on the radio to "THE NUMBER ONE STATION FOR HIP HOP & R&B!" to check for new songs (LOL, haven't done that in years), all I'm really hearing is the same fucking bullshit over and over.  I'm not learning anything new, i'm being fucking brainwashed.  They're telling me this bullshit is Hip Hop?  I'd accept that statement if they were to play some half way intelligent music after Laffy Taffy.  I could digest hearing that song if it was complemented with something else of substance, but it's followed up with more bullshit.  They're not interested in the artistic side, they're interested in brainwashing the youth that all this shit is hip hop, and it aint.  It's monopolistic corporate America's brainchild to exploit the youth in turn padding their pockets.  But I guess getting paid justifies anything in the Hip Hop world.

You think rappers doing love songs is something new?  Hell no, that isn't something new.  The main difference I see nowadays is that cats have no shame nor accountablity for their music that they put out.  All these rappers act so fucking hard in their interviews and shit, and then these faggots start skipping around on tv in fucking sweater vests, singing along.  Then, the next thing they tell you (and lots of people buy this) "I'm just doing this type of joint for the ladies"  or "I'm just trying to create a buzz" or "This is my club banger" or "This is my street anthem".  LMFAO!!  Who the fuck is talking here?  The 'rapper' or the douche bag business man that knows dick about music?  Why in the fuck do hip hop fans accept these answers?  They don't even hide or deny this shit! And people continually gobble this bullshit up.

Some of the most classic hip hop songs ever made were about relationships or spittin at a girl or whatever.  Big Daddy Kane made numerous songs about ladies, but he NEVER sacrificed his credibility in doing so.  He was still mad lyrical.  Same with Tupac - he touched on so many subjects, but he always did it having true hip hop as the backbone.  Cats today unapologetically put out tracks that any self respecting "MC" wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

And all you guys throwing your hands up and act like you cant do shit kill me.  For one, if there is an artist that you really respect and admire, BUY THEIR FUCKING ALBUM.  Don't just download the shit.  Don't get it twisted, it's all gravy to listen to it prior to making the decision to purchase, and it keeps everyone honest.  But if you download an album and bump the shit out of it with no intention of supporting the artist financially, then you're a piece of shit.

Also, i'd highly recommend satellite radio.  I have Sirius - it's got 3 hip hop stations:  2 of which I listen to <2% of the time, and 1 I can't seem to ever turn off.  It plays classic commercial free hip hop from 1979 to 1995 and its the greatest hip hop radio station that i've ever heard.  I'd pay 12 bucks a month for this station alone.  The other 2 HH stations will play some great contemporary hip hop, but they do play some bullshit that doesn't keep me tuned in all the time.  Sirius now has over 4 million subscribers.  That = serious $, so don't think you have no influence.  

Another thing is alternative media, ie DUBCC.  The quality of info I get on this board exceeds pretty much any news outlet.  You think this site and others like it don't effect hip hop?  Look at people they've interviewed here over the years.  

So there are a few things you can do to change hip hop, even if it is on a small scale.

Anyways, sorry for writing a fucking book here but music is my favorite thing in the world.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 06:40:24 PM »
^ Propz for that shit.

Do you think songs like Laffy Taffy are new to Hip Hop?  Hell no, that isn't something new.  The problem is that balance is lacking.  If I turn on the radio to "THE NUMBER ONE STATION FOR HIP HOP & R&B!" to check for new songs (LOL, haven't done that in years), all I'm really hearing is the same fucking bullshit over and over.  I'm not learning anything new, i'm being fucking brainwashed.  They're telling me this bullshit is Hip Hop?  I'd accept that statement if they were to play some half way intelligent music after Laffy Taffy.  I could digest hearing that song if it was complemented with something else of substance, but it's followed up with more bullshit.  They're not interested in the artistic side, they're interested in brainwashing the youth that all this shit is hip hop, and it aint.  It's monopolistic corporate America's brainchild to exploit the youth in turn padding their pockets.  But I guess getting paid justifies anything in the Hip Hop world.

Hell yeah. Now that I've been listening to some real ol shit, I can tell you how clear the meaning and story behind each rhyme in each line is. Not that there is completely none out today but now it's called conscious rap. Back then it wasn't called that becuz it didn't have to be. It was conscious. It was real. It's crazy how a yesterday M.C. for example, like Rakim has to be categorized into a style of hip hop known as a form of conscious rap becuz his lyrics aren't like today's rappers.

"I'm just doing this type of joint for the ladies"  or "I'm just trying to create a buzz" or "This is my club banger" or "This is my street anthem".  

And it's funny how M.C.'s back then didn't have to use them excuses.

Now I like this shit, the 'Fuck off' rap songs. 'I don't give a fuck'...Club bangers wit bumpin beats...and hell, so do a lot of other people and we became so used to it we don't appreciate the REALNESS no more, unfortunately. It's overlooked. :-\

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »
Damn Jrome, you said 4 much here. You dropped a lot of shit. Here are my thoughts.

Mainstream Hip Hop of today (and I use that term loosely), is by and large a joke in my opinion.  Peeps have touched on the big problems:  lack of creativity, major label monopolies, radio station monopolies, too predictable, redundant, payola, etc.   The balance of power is heavily skewed to one side, and it's killing the game.

I agree with that, but what are we as hip hop heads doing to change this? We need to do our part.

There are still quality artists, but it is very difficult to get their voice heard.  Let me ask yall this:  Do you think a major corporation wants an independant thinking, intelligent person dropping albums on their roster, or some ignorant ass mother fucker that can't read contracts and will do any fucking thing you tell them for a few bucks?  If all you're concerned with is your bottom line rather than the art, you want that shit to be as dumb and accessible as possible - gotta get that mass appeal.  Little kids don't know any better, and they gobble anything up that they are told is "hot".  That's a huge problem to me.  

It is a problem and the only way to even come close to fixing it is to take the music back to the streets. The streets have been essentially eliminated from the equation in order to mass produce a commoditity. Modern day rap music for the most part is manufactured just like cereal or toilet paper. Speaking of toilet paper, most of that music is barely worthy of it.

I'm with you on that, there's a complete lack of balance. In the early 90's, you'd hear some bullshit like PM Dawn or Marky Mark but after that, you'd hear Naughty By Nature or Geto Boys. That balance is gone and that's the main reason I don't fuck with radio anymore. For every Julio G, there are 10 no balls having ass-kissing faggots pretending to be cool playing whatever the program director tells them to play.

You think rappers doing love songs is something new?  Hell no, that isn't something new.  The main difference I see nowadays is that cats have no shame nor accountablity for their music that they put out.  All these rappers act so fucking hard in their interviews and shit, and then these faggots start skipping around on tv in fucking sweater vests, singing along.  Then, the next thing they tell you (and lots of people buy this) "I'm just doing this type of joint for the ladies"  or "I'm just trying to create a buzz" or "This is my club banger" or "This is my street anthem".  LMFAO!!  Who the fuck is talking here?  The 'rapper' or the douche bag business man that knows dick about music?  Why in the fuck do hip hop fans accept these answers?  They don't even hide or deny this shit! And people continually gobble this bullshit up.

Some white man in a suit should not be dictating what hip hop is. The streets dictate what it hip hop is. Period.

Some of the most classic hip hop songs ever made were about relationships or spittin at a girl or whatever.  Big Daddy Kane made numerous songs about ladies, but he NEVER sacrificed his credibility in doing so.  He was still mad lyrical.  Same with Tupac - he touched on so many subjects, but he always did it having true hip hop as the backbone.  Cats today unapologetically put out tracks that any self respecting "MC" wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I don't disagree with that, but I think many of them have been forced into that position. They may not want to do it but they have to. Did you know that Common's label made him record "Reminding me of Sef" to put on his album? Well the song turned out to be a banger and one of my alltime favorite Common joints...What was my point again? Never mind.

And all you guys throwing your hands up and act like you cant do shit kill me.  For one, if there is an artist that you really respect and admire, BUY THEIR FUCKING ALBUM.  Don't just download the shit.  Don't get it twisted, it's all gravy to listen to it prior to making the decision to purchase, and it keeps everyone honest.  But if you download an album and bump the shit out of it with no intention of supporting the artist financially, then you're a piece of shit.

*applause* Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, i'd highly recommend satellite radio.  I have Sirius - it's got 3 hip hop stations:  2 of which I listen to <2% of the time, and 1 I can't seem to ever turn off.  It plays classic commercial free hip hop from 1979 to 1995 and its the greatest hip hop radio station that i've ever heard.  I'd pay 12 bucks a month for this station alone.  The other 2 HH stations will play some great contemporary hip hop, but they do play some bullshit that doesn't keep me tuned in all the time.  Sirius now has over 4 million subscribers.  That = serious $, so don't think you have no influence.  

I have XM radio since it came with my car when I bought it. The old school station (channel 65) is pretty good, they have a couple of good shows like the backyard boogie mix which plays all west coast shit and then they have the Prince Paul illout show, which is tight. They were talking about Stetsasonic and I learned something listening to it. I didn't know they were the first rap band, I thought it was Digital Underground. Prince Paul is the shit, one of the most underrated producers if you ask me. They also have a mix that comes on around 6pm, which plays alot of mid 90's east coast shit.

Another thing is alternative media, ie DUBCC.  The quality of info I get on this board exceeds pretty much any news outlet.  You think this site and others like it don't effect hip hop?  Look at people they've interviewed here over the years.  

Sites like dubcnn/dubcc are crucial, since we can find out about music that's ignored by the large media outlets.

So there are a few things you can do to change hip hop, even if it is on a small scale.

I agree, and that's where we need to start. We need to support the local underground artists that are blowing up the spot and producing good music by buying their music and seeing their shows. We need to expose other heads to whatever good music that you find. And most importantly, buy the fuckin album if it's good instead of downloading it! At least see that artist perform live or something. It's up to us too keep this shit moving or else we will lose it forever. Also everyone needs to study their history. I was dismayed when only a handful of people responded to that post about Afrika Islam that was made on this board. That's our history, our culture. It belongs to us and we need to take this shit seriously.

I've been into this shit since the 80's and I was in the underground hip hop scene as a rapper in the early 90's. I've done the freestyle thing, battling, making tapes using my homies secondhand equipment, all that shit. Some folks I used to run with back then are still trying to get on to this day. This shit is precious and we need to protect it and we can't let them kill it. It's up to us.
Anyways, sorry for writing a fucking book here but music is my favorite thing in the world.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2006, 08:54:28 PM »
fuck mang....this hip hop sounds like slavery to me.....just can't do anything but to do what others say is GOOD.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2006, 11:43:44 PM »
hip hop has been dumbing itself down more and more

everything is being materialized , watered down, and stripped of originality

everything is a recycled formula to sell records or create an image or used as a stepping stone for business ventures,,,love for the craft and its art is neglected. the music has become secondary to artists putting out the records.

when artists do put out something meaningful and/or original it usually a) gets ignored or b) gets copied and overdone

hip hop is in it's hair metal stage. and as big as it is and as much as many of you and i love the culture.....hip hop will lose it's spot on top

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J Bananas

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2006, 12:32:50 AM »
a lot of recent "hip hop" makes me feel like i'm watching a bunch of liquored up slaves at a plantation goin jive and tribal. thats why i made this audio tribute to modern rap i hope you all will take a peek, and drop feedback:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=D02CF1074A490378

Leggy Hendrix

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2006, 01:49:35 AM »
integrity

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LllJK5DjofM</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/g7DMeTPvZCs</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yRfQGXFRr30</a>

dude im baning you mother over here in eu. but im not a white,brown,black,yellow etc. im your nightmare

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2006, 01:50:03 AM »
Topic: What is missing from Hip Hop today?

Tupac, Biggie, Big L

kemizt

Semir

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 03:40:57 AM »
It's all about money these days, they don't care what they write and what the fuck they talkin about as long as it's commercial and it sounds good and got a catchy hook its all good for them, that's what got them wrong.