Author Topic: i need more help in calculus !!  (Read 186 times)

coola

i need more help in calculus !!
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:14:02 AM »
 :'( i have exams in a week, and i suck... i'm trying to cram 4 weeks worth of work...

anyway, i'm struggling with area under curve, only when the boundaries are the y-axis... i cant re-write the equation to suit the x-axis and work it out from there... thats just my lack of high-school knowledge i know... but these calculus books dont teach shit.

y=X^(1/2) , x=0, y=1, y=3

it's all too easy when the boundaries are the x-axis, but y just shits me... please help !!!

coola

Re: i need more help in calculus !!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »
ivee sussed out you just substitute the y=3 or y=1, and get the values of x through algebra... but how do i re-make the equation into y= ???

damn this late night study is killing me  :-X

coola

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »
so i did it, but using unorthodox methods...

i got the area for the boundaries x=1 and x=9, (the area under the curve), then i subtracted it from the area of the square (luckily in this problem it was a strait line boundary), the remaining shizz is the area over the curve..

but i wont know how to do it for quadratics  :-\

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »
LMAO...Holy shit I couldn't solve that if my life depended on it :-\

coola

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 12:56:03 PM »
LMAO...Holy shit I couldn't solve that if my life depended on it :-\

i bet you could if you were studying calculus  ;) it's all just formula bullshit, i can do it, i just leave everything to the last minute... i am seriously cramming like crazy... i have 6 days to learn 3 weeks worth of syllabus, then revise 8 weeks worth of work... and i need a minimum of 60% in this exam to pass the unit... THE PRESSURE IS ON !!! BOO YAA !  8)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:01:29 PM »
Is this a mandatory course or did you chose it?

coola

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »
Is this a mandatory course or did you chose it?

it's mandatory, i only have 2 chances to pass this unit, if i fail 2 times i'm deemed too dumb to complete the course..

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:11:00 PM »
That's crazy. I can't do shit like that becuz if it doesn't hold much interest to me I can't learn it. :D. Good luck to you muthafucka anyways! 8)

coola

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 01:13:47 PM »
cheers, yeah i dont find it extremely interesting, but it has it's moments... what keeps me goin is thinking about my salary when i graduate.

coola

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 01:17:10 PM »
plus my other units are pretty rewarding and fun... i'm sure i'll enjoy my job when i get in the field..  8)

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:56:37 PM »
What you plan on doin?

coola

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 11:28:26 PM »
well if i was in America, i'd be considered an engineer... but because i'm studying in australia, i'm classified as a Surveyor... basically i measure shit, boundaries, movement of dams, mapping and planning... shit like that... i'm also doing a double degree, so i'm doing surveying & commerce entrepreneurship...

theres a heap of math, but at the end of the day, i'll be out-side most the time, there wont be much office time, thats the big seller..

ecrazy

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »
well if i was in America, i'd be considered an engineer... but because i'm studying in australia, i'm classified as a Surveyor... basically i measure shit, boundaries, movement of dams, mapping and planning... shit like that... i'm also doing a double degree, so i'm doing surveying & commerce entrepreneurship...

theres a heap of math, but at the end of the day, i'll be out-side most the time, there wont be much office time, thats the big seller..
In America we Call That Surveying as well, we did that in the 9th grade, we had this huge scavanger hunt at this park that lasted from morning to sunset, great fun....they still have surveying type scavanger hunts around my area, do aussies do that?

coola

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »

In America we Call That Surveying as well, we did that in the 9th grade, we had this huge scavanger hunt at this park that lasted from morning to sunset, great fun....they still have surveying type scavanger hunts around my area, do aussies do that?

nah didnt do that in high-school... our lecturer told us in the U.S surveyors are classified as engineers ?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 03:03:22 PM »
just started my summer class for calculus 1