Author Topic: 213 - The Hard Way  (Read 1235 times)

Plumma25

• 'G'
213 - The Hard Way
« on: June 09, 2006, 07:42:22 AM »
This album gets shitted on all the time.  I know this album wasn't what everyone expected, it had no Warren G production, no guest appearances from West Coast artists and didn't sound like that vintage 213 sound.  But the album was still pretty good.  In fact, I still bump this album on the regular and when I didn't see it on the review board, I decided to post my review.  Here it is below.

1. Intro – Don’t rate skits and this counts as a skit.

2. Twist Yo Body – Hot up tempo beat by Hi-Tek.  Hi-Tek always drops heat when he produces for Snoop and this is no different.  Snoop drops a hot verse but Warren G lacks with his verse.  But it’s OK, because Nate Dogg just kills this song with his verse at the end of the song.  Great start to the album.  4.5/5

3. Absolutely – When I first heard this track, I thought it was produced by Timbaland, but later found out it to be by Quaze.  Nice beat, again with the up-tempo get off your ass type of vibe.  Nate Dogg rocks the chorus and also spits a hot lilttle bridge, while Snoop spits his typical “pimp” lyrics on two verses.  While Warren G ends the song on a nice verse but again, his verse is by far the weakest on the song.  4/5.

4. Keep It Gangsta – The track is produced by Battlecat and the second I heard it I liked it.  A bit different than what we’re used to from Cat but still bangin.  I think all three of them come nicely on this one and it def bumps in your speakers.  4/5

5. Groupie Luv – The first and only single that was released from the album.  DJ Pooh takes the production on this one and man its been awhile since I heard anything from him.  Nice to hear him and Snoop on a track again and it def works.  Snoop and Warren rip the beat up, Nate comes nice but the chorus gets a bit old fast.  Overall nice song though.  3.5/5

6. Run On Up – The first song I heard off the album, I believe it was released on one of those Welcome to the Chuuch albums that Snoop released in 2003.  Made me really anticipate the album.  Produced by Tha Chill,  Warren, Snoop and Nate really kill the eerie “dark” beat.  The only thing I don’t like about the beat is the “missle” sounds in the backround.  I really think Tha Chill could’ve left those out and the song would have been perfect.  Nate’s bridge after Snoop’s verse is killer “Shut The Fuck Up and Ruuuunn Uppp”.  Love it.  4/5

7. Lonely Girl – This song is my personal favorite on the album.  I love the laid back beat by Nottz and all three come nice.  Warren and Nate really shine on this type of beat.  Snoop is good but I really like Warren and Nate on this song.  Song is perfect in my opinion.  5/5

8. Another Summer – Another laid back track, this time produced by Kanye West.  I like the beat and think its perfect for just sitting back and chilling.  All three come nice, but I wish Nate had some more time on the track.  LaToyia Williams sounds nice on the hook, fits song perfectly.  I like this Kanye West laid back west coast vibe he’s got going.  4/5

9. 213 Tha Gangsta Clicc – Different kind of beat here and at first I hated it.  But over time this song has grown on me.  I still view it as one of the weaker tracks but Snoop just destroys this song.  His verse is HOT!!!!  Nate comes pretty good while Warren is just average.  Like I said the beat took some time getting used to but I bump it more and more now.  2.5/5

10. Gotta Find A Way – My second most favorite song on the album.  Great laid back feel and Nate is just amazing on it.  Snoop and Warren have good verses also but to me this is Nates song.  I still can’t believe Lil ˝ Dead co-produced this.  Has that old school vibe to it.  5/5.

11. Ups & Downs – This one is produced by Battlecat and Tha Chill.  Def one of the more “hard” beats on the album.  The beats nice but I don’t think Warren and Snoop come all that good on this track, their verses are above average and nothing spectacular.  Nate also doesn’t sound as good as usual on this track, its really too bad because the beat is nice but they just aren’t up par, nice chrous.  3.5/5

12. Joysticc – This is another one of my favorites on the album.  The beat is kind of old school 80’s ish.  Only Nate and Warren G sing/rap on this one.  Snoop comes in at the end with a speaking part.  I wish Snoop would of had a rap verse but Nate and Warren do pretty well on this song.  Like I said it has an 80’s feel and it really works.  Def a song I play over and over again.  4.5/5

13. Rick James Interlude -  Dave Chappelle doing his Rick James impersonation.  Just a skit.

14. Mary Jane – Remake of an old Rick James song of the same name.  Nate does a great job with the chrous and really does a comprable version of the song.  Snoop and Warren both come correct (when don’t they with a “weed” song).  Beat is nice, Quaze doesn’t bring anything new to the table but still a tight beat.  3.5/5

15. MLK – Hot beat provided by Battlecat.  Snoop and Warren really rip up the track and Nate chrous is GREAT.  Wish Nate would’ve spit more than the chrosus but thats the way it goes sometimes.  Beat is one of the hardest on the album and really a nice fit.  4.5/5

16. Lil Girl – To me this is the WORST track on the album.  I hate the beat, it gets annoying to me and all three sound “lost” on the track.  I always skip it.  1.5/5

17. My Dirty Ho – This track is a little better than Lil Girl but still the second weakest on the album.  The beat is dark and eerie and not that bad.  The verses by all are a bit boring and the song just doesn’t do anything for me.  2.5/5

18. Appreciation – When I first heard this song, I though man Battlecat with another banger.  Then I saw that J-Hen produced this.  Man what a great Battlecat impersonation.  This beat is hot, nice and laid back and while the chorus is a bit weak and gets a little annoying Warren and Snoop come off nice.  3.5/5

19. So Fly – Another banger.  They took the beat from Monica’s “So Gone” produced by Missy and just made it there own.  All three come tight and Nate just rips it up.  He really knows how to steal the show.  5/5

Overall a nice effort, while it would have been nice to include some West Coast artists and Warren G production this album was still bangin and people that hate on it need to give it another chance.  3.5-4/5.
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.

WestCoasta

Re: 213 - The Hard Way
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 11:15:06 PM »
that's crazy cuz I was just playin it today and thinkin that it's pretty good

most people who said it sucked picked it up once and put it down for good, listening for a second

2 years have passed since it's release and I must say it's a legit release, lots of good quality tracks

although there was lots of fillers, I like lots of shit from this cd

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 01:53:01 PM »
MLK & So Fly are my 2 fav tracks off the album.. Absolutely is pretty good too

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 02:17:15 PM »
MLK  :o :o

thuggolfer

• Lil Geezy
  • King Karma
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »

yeah, I liked a few tracks, including this, but for the most part this was a sack of crap.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:14:02 PM »

yeah, I liked a few tracks, including this, but for the most part this was a sack of crap.

Yeah I didnt like the album I just loved this song

thuggolfer

• Lil Geezy
  • King Karma
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 06:49:06 PM »

Yeah I didnt like the album I just loved this song

What's with all the Cam'ron in your sig, you loose a bet or something?

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 05:06:02 PM »
good review man....I like 213 The G Clik more than 2.5/5  but, its a solid, laid back westcoast album IMO

Paul

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 06:10:57 AM »
the longer i have this album the more it grows on me. its a solid laid bacc westcoast album, nice to hear in the summer
funkyfreshintheflesh

WestCoasta

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 04:00:37 PM »
my favorites are "Lonely Girl" (Nate shines) and "Twist Yo Body" (great Hi-Tek beat)

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 12:41:12 PM »
I should give this another listen. On the first listen only 'Twist your body' stood out to me. That 'So Fly' was ripped straight from it's 'Welcome to da Chuuch'-mixtape, Snoop's 'this is welcome to da chuuch volume ...' included. I thought that was a very cheap move and it really bugged me.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:43:04 AM »
I'd say it's a solid 8/10....one of the few albums I can listen to all the way through, and it has a great vibe to it.

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 01:10:51 PM »
This album is dope, my favorite tracks R: "Twist Yo Body" and "So Fly".
But most of songs sound similar...

StevenQBosell

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 08:40:25 PM »
the longer i have this album the more it grows on me. its a solid laid bacc westcoast album, nice to hear in the summer

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
"Another Summer" is such a chillin tune. Something to smoke a fatty too. Thats prolly my fav on the album.