Author Topic: "New Super Mario Bros" sells half a million copies in 1 month  (Read 601 times)

Trauma-san

Well, in just over a month, Nintendo has managed to sell, in the United States, half a fucking million copies of 1 game, "New Super Mario Bros." for the Nintendo DS.  What a silly idea the "Dual Screen" was... people should be fired over this phenomenon that's topping the sales charts around the world and selling in Japan, for instance, at a faster rate than any system ever released. 

Can't wait for the Nintendo Wii to be an even BIGGER FLOP.  I'm sure Nintendo is really sweating this one, They *only* made 26 times as much profit as Sony's PS2 and PSP combined did last year. 

Here's the condensed review of the game in case you didn't catch it.

Gamespot.com

9.0 "superb"

New Super Mario Bros. is a terrific 2D side-scroller that makes you think of the old games but never feels like it's just cashing in on past success.
The Good: Terrific control; classic gameplay that still works; great presentation; evokes the original games without feeling shameless.
The Bad: Additional modes aren't nearly as interesting as the main game; some levels seem a little too short.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, Gamespot says that the only bad things about the game are, the additional modes added onto the main game aren't as fun as the main game which they call "terrific", and "superb"... and they also say that they wish some of the levels were longer so they could play the game for even longer hours at a time.

Lets go see what IGN thinks.

Ign gave it a 9.5, and the piece is titled "Welcome back Mario, We Missed You"

"An official Super Mario game would have to be something special for it to exist on a current Nintendo system, which is why the release of New Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo DS is so significant: it absolutely is something special. This game marks a brilliant return to Mario's side-scrolling environments, with a look, feel, and play that feels unbelievably classic, with new elements that do a fantastic job advancing the design."

I imagine Nintendo will finally be going out of business soon.  Sony is KICKING THEIR ASS, Making 1/26th of the profit Nintendo is, and all Nintendo can do is release the oldest game in their catalogue (Super Mario Bros. was the first game for the Nintendo in 1985)... add the word "new" in front of it, and sell games at the rate of half a million a month and get nearly sterling reviews with words like "Incredible' "Superb" and "Unbelievable" used by reviewers to describe it.  Yeah; ring the death knoll for Nintendo, we all knew this day would come when they would RELEASE ANOTHER MARIO AND ONCE AGAIN OWN SHIT..... I mean, when they would finally put the last nail in their coffin. 

acgrundy

Re: "New Super Mario Bros" sells half a million copies in 1 month
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 05:18:14 PM »
Inconcievable!

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 06:11:37 PM »
I bought the game a week ago, i fuckin love it. Id suggest that anyone with a DS go out and buy it right now.

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
got it the day i got my DSlite,great game,brings back memories  8)

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Sikotic™

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 11:18:30 PM »
I still play Super Mario Bros every once in awhile. It's the GOAT of all games.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 08:57:24 PM »
Well, in just over a month, Nintendo has managed to sell, in the United States, half a fucking million copies of 1 game, "New Super Mario Bros." for the Nintendo DS.  What a silly idea the "Dual Screen" was... people should be fired over this phenomenon that's topping the sales charts around the world and selling in Japan, for instance, at a faster rate than any system ever released. 

Can't wait for the Nintendo Wii to be an even BIGGER FLOP.  I'm sure Nintendo is really sweating this one, They *only* made 26 times as much profit as Sony's PS2 and PSP combined did last year. 

Here is what I originally said of the DS and the Revolution now Wii;

Both of these handhelds are gonna bomb. It is was and always will be about the original Gameboy, and it's adavancements. People don't want to play high tech games on small screens. People want simple games like basic side scrollers, and puzzle games. Action RPGs like Zelda are also very popular. People don't want to play something like Metal Gear Solid, or Madden 2005 (console version) on a screen smaller than my fist.

The only hand held that had a chance of competing with the Gameboy was the Game Gear, and that lost due to Sega's lack of dedication and poor game selection. If Sega had put time and thought in to the Game Gear instead of the Sega CD and 32X, then the Game Gear could still have been around today. All they had to do was keep upgrading, change the design every time, and create better games. Sega always had some of the most innovative game makers in the business, and I'm sure they could have come up with some bangers, but instead they wasted time on trying to win a console war that no one even knew they were in. The Genesis was good and did it's best to compete. The rest were a joke, in business terms (except for the first stage of the Dreamcast). I still love the Saturn and Dreamcast. I can only imagine what could have happened if Sega forgot about trying to desperately win the console wars and focused on hand held.

I'm am now going to do something that Trauma would dare never do because he is a stubborn coward like those he admires; I WAS WRONG. At least I think I was. I was at one of those DS party's as my friends called it and played Mario Kart on the DS Lite. I was wrong about 3 things. 1) I thought it was too early to release it, and I while I still believe they would have had an even bigger launch if they waited one more year I realize that doesn't matter now. 2) I was wrong about what the dual screen meant to the games and the types of games this system would have. I had thought that the second screen was going to be necessary to every game's game play and would end up driving away 3rd party developers. I now see that the second screen for most games acts only as a menu screen, like the Dreamcast controller's screened memory cards did, and that you mainly play on the one screen while checking the bottom screen every now and then. And 3) I thought they were going to try and make next gen games in the sense of over-detailed 3D games when they major games they have released have been simple 3D games. It was a brilliant move as all their other handhelds have been and after seeing the wireless connection at it's finest I predict big things for this DS and have considered buying one myself. I haven't bought a system since the Dreamcast. (Wll I did get the SP and Game Cube but that's because my friend was desperate to get rid of them and me and my brother both pitched in $35 for them, since I really wanted to play the GC Zelda, which was great).

on the Wii

I feel bad for everyone at Nintendo that knew this was a bad idea and are now going to lose their jobs once this thing tanks. Why do they always focus on this bullshit by trying to make new things. NES took what Atari was and beat it because the games were better. SNES kept the same formula with a graphics improvement. Then the norm changed from cartride to CD and Nintendo played the old fogie and refused to change. Since then it's almso as if they are trying to overcompensate from not moving forward to moving too far ahead. No one is going to want to play a system like this and no developers are going to want to mae games forthis that they can't make for PS3. Nintendo's first part games should be nice but the system as a whole is going to fail.

I saw the video of the conference and the moron actually used the logic that non gamers are more used to TV remotes rather than video game controllers and they will be drawn to this system because the psychological barrier will be broken. What a bunch of idiots. My dad hates video games and can't use the controller but he loves TV and uses the remote all the time. There is no way he's going to get into this system because of that. Even if you can turn it sideways for old games it sill only has 2 buttons ont he front for your right hand.

It's real easy Nintendo; a D-pad and analog stick next to the D pad, 6 buttons on the front and two on the shoulders and a bunch of decent games. That's how you sell video game systems.

The guys at Microsoft are having a field day right now, and the guys at Sony are so far ahead they don't care one way or the other.

I'm less certain than I was but I still feel this will land in 3rd place, maybe a distant 2nd. If Sony tanks with the early adopters and the PS3 completely bombs the Wii could fall behind Microsoft. But I see Sony's market being to big as it is and I don't see many people over 20 buying into the Wii or it's style. I could end up being a huge hit for the kids like Tickle Me Elmo was or it could flop altogether. It'll vome down to 3rd party and most 3rd parties aren't going to devote their time to making games for that controller style in the small Nintendo console market. I say if Nintendo does well they can score 30 million sales by the end of it's run, and under 15 if they flop. While the DS could eventually break the 100 mil mark.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 05:11:15 AM »

Here is what I originally said of the DS and the Revolution now Wii;

Both of these handhelds are gonna bomb. It is was and always will be about the original Gameboy, and it's adavancements. People don't want to play high tech games on small screens. People want simple games like basic side scrollers, and puzzle games. Action RPGs like Zelda are also very popular. People don't want to play something like Metal Gear Solid, or Madden 2005 (console version) on a screen smaller than my fist.

The only hand held that had a chance of competing with the Gameboy was the Game Gear, and that lost due to Sega's lack of dedication and poor game selection. If Sega had put time and thought in to the Game Gear instead of the Sega CD and 32X, then the Game Gear could still have been around today. All they had to do was keep upgrading, change the design every time, and create better games. Sega always had some of the most innovative game makers in the business, and I'm sure they could have come up with some bangers, but instead they wasted time on trying to win a console war that no one even knew they were in. The Genesis was good and did it's best to compete. The rest were a joke, in business terms (except for the first stage of the Dreamcast). I still love the Saturn and Dreamcast. I can only imagine what could have happened if Sega forgot about trying to desperately win the console wars and focused on hand held.

I'm am now going to do something that Trauma would dare never do because he is a stubborn coward like those he admires; I WAS WRONG. At least I think I was. I was at one of those DS party's as my friends called it and played Mario Kart on the DS Lite. I was wrong about 3 things. 1) I thought it was too early to release it, and I while I still believe they would have had an even bigger launch if they waited one more year I realize that doesn't matter now. 2) I was wrong about what the dual screen meant to the games and the types of games this system would have. I had thought that the second screen was going to be necessary to every game's game play and would end up driving away 3rd party developers. I now see that the second screen for most games acts only as a menu screen, like the Dreamcast controller's screened memory cards did, and that you mainly play on the one screen while checking the bottom screen every now and then. And 3) I thought they were going to try and make next gen games in the sense of over-detailed 3D games when they major games they have released have been simple 3D games. It was a brilliant move as all their other handhelds have been and after seeing the wireless connection at it's finest I predict big things for this DS and have considered buying one myself. I haven't bought a system since the Dreamcast. (Wll I did get the SP and Game Cube but that's because my friend was desperate to get rid of them and me and my brother both pitched in $35 for them, since I really wanted to play the GC Zelda, which was great).

on the Wii

I feel bad for everyone at Nintendo that knew this was a bad idea and are now going to lose their jobs once this thing tanks. Why do they always focus on this bullshit by trying to make new things. NES took what Atari was and beat it because the games were better. SNES kept the same formula with a graphics improvement. Then the norm changed from cartride to CD and Nintendo played the old fogie and refused to change. Since then it's almso as if they are trying to overcompensate from not moving forward to moving too far ahead. No one is going to want to play a system like this and no developers are going to want to mae games forthis that they can't make for PS3. Nintendo's first part games should be nice but the system as a whole is going to fail.

I saw the video of the conference and the moron actually used the logic that non gamers are more used to TV remotes rather than video game controllers and they will be drawn to this system because the psychological barrier will be broken. What a bunch of idiots. My dad hates video games and can't use the controller but he loves TV and uses the remote all the time. There is no way he's going to get into this system because of that. Even if you can turn it sideways for old games it sill only has 2 buttons ont he front for your right hand.

It's real easy Nintendo; a D-pad and analog stick next to the D pad, 6 buttons on the front and two on the shoulders and a bunch of decent games. That's how you sell video game systems.

The guys at Microsoft are having a field day right now, and the guys at Sony are so far ahead they don't care one way or the other.

I'm less certain than I was but I still feel this will land in 3rd place, maybe a distant 2nd. If Sony tanks with the early adopters and the PS3 completely bombs the Wii could fall behind Microsoft. But I see Sony's market being to big as it is and I don't see many people over 20 buying into the Wii or it's style. I could end up being a huge hit for the kids like Tickle Me Elmo was or it could flop altogether. It'll vome down to 3rd party and most 3rd parties aren't going to devote their time to making games for that controller style in the small Nintendo console market. I say if Nintendo does well they can score 30 million sales by the end of it's run, and under 15 if they flop. While the DS could eventually break the 100 mil mark.

It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top. No matter what numbers people put up, we all know Nintendo owns 3rd place!!!!!!

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 06:39:01 AM »
I bought a DS last week, have been impressed with it so far. I only have 2 games at the moment Mario Kart and sonic Rush, super mario bros will be my third !

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Trauma-san

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 04:35:05 PM »
I couldn't be bothered to read that long-ass post above; can somebody summarize for me, please? 

I Am The Anton

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
I couldn't be bothered to read that long-ass post above; can somebody summarize for me, please? 

Regarding the DS and Wii- Him=wrong,You=right

I need some meaning I can memorize
The kind I have always seems to slip my mind

Black_Smoke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 06:43:13 PM »
I bought a DS last week, have been impressed with it so far. I only have 2 games at the moment Mario Kart and sonic Rush, super mario bros will be my third !

u got the DSlite right?

"Its the length of 1 day, one half, one shotclock, this number is my promise.....to Dominate every moment"-Kobe #24

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2006, 07:40:52 AM »

It wasn't that long you coward. Most of it was just old posts reshown to show what I said.

Here's the short version.

-I showed that I never said Nintendo would lose jobs because of the DS but I said they would because of the Revolution.

-I said I was going to do what a coward like you could never do and admit I was wrong. And I did. Then I gave examples of what I was wrong about.

-"I was at one of those DS party's as my friends called it and played Mario Kart on the DS Lite. I was wrong about 3 things. 1) I thought it was too early to release it, and I while I still believe they would have had an even bigger launch if they waited one more year I realize that doesn't matter now. 2) I was wrong about what the dual screen meant to the games and the types of games this system would have. I had thought that the second screen was going to be necessary to every game's game play and would end up driving away 3rd party developers. I now see that the second screen for most games acts only as a menu screen, like the Dreamcast controller's screened memory cards did, and that you mainly play on the one screen while checking the bottom screen every now and then. And 3) I thought they were going to try and make next gen games in the sense of over-detailed 3D games when they major games they have released have been simple 3D games. It was a brilliant move as all their other handhelds have been and after seeing the wireless connection at it's finest I predict big things for this DS and have considered buying one myself. I haven't bought a system since the Dreamcast. (Wll I did get the SP and Game Cube but that's because my friend was desperate to get rid of them and me and my brother both pitched in $35 for them, since I really wanted to play the GC Zelda, which was great). "

-Then I saoid I'm not as sure about the Wii's doom as I once was but, since it could be the next tickle me elmo or the huge bomb. I'm not sure.