Author Topic: The Coup – Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006)  (Read 540 times)

thuggolfer

• Lil Geezy
  • King Karma
The Coup – Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006)
« on: June 22, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
I typed this up a little bit ago.  I don't know if there are many underground heads here, but The Coup are from Oalland, soo, yeah.

The Coup – Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006)

The Coup have already made the best album that they will ever make with ‘Steal This Album’, but that doesn’t mean that they can’t still deliver with some good music for us to enjoy.  People may mistake the face of Boots Riley as being the only ‘real’ member of The Coup, but more than ever they would be proven wrong with this album.  On the production side of things this is a true team effort, with rap-band teamwork reminiscent of The Roots.  The album filled to the brim with deep synth-funk that will please all of the low riders, and political aggression that Coup fans have come to expect from Boots. 

The album starts things off on a very peculiar foot.  Some of the least creative synths and drum sequencing come into play on the opening track, ‘Bullets and Love’.  Boots Riley comes with some nice lyrics and a blazing flow, but the short track does not serve it’s purpose as an introduction.  The next track, ‘We Are the Ones’, is one of the most appealing of the entire album, if you can get past one thing: Boots Riley’s voice.  The production is undeniably addictive, sporting a very infectious guitar lick from the hands of Moses Kremer.  Boots’ lyrics are very nice throughout the song, and his rhyming schemes are some of the best that appear on the album, if only he did not decide to rap with the accent that he chose.  If you don’t mind it, this should be one of your favorites, if you do, then you will most likely be skipping this particular track, much like this writer.  ‘Laugh-Love-Fuck’ is a solid track that sounds as if The Coup were trying to scare us with a taste of modern G-Funk, the way that 213 promised and failed to do with their recent album.  What follows is a clear highlight in not only this release, but one of the best to ever appear on a Coup album: ‘My Favorite Mutiny’.  Underground semi-legendary MC’s Black Thought and Talib Kweli hop on board to light up one of 2006’s best tracks.  On a track with these two accomplished writers, Boots comes out on top with a wonderful verse which says a lot about his underappreciated abilities.  To outshine these two emcees is a serious accomplishment that will not soon be forgotten.  Great song.  ‘Ijuswannalayaroundalldayinbedwithyou’ feels like it should have been included in Andre 3000’s The Love Below project.  A completely forgettable song until 3:30 into the song where drums wake up and the violin takes over, a beautifully orchestrated minute and a half of instrumentation.  ‘Head of State’ is the political track that sees Boots getting re-energized.  Boots has some very interesting views on his fearless leader; George Bush, and doesn’t disappoint us with petty insults, he opts to intellectually make his point.The tracks works fine, nothing phenomenal, but good.  ‘Shoyoass’ isn’t exactly what you would expect from reading the title.  In a track when the hook claims ‘Now it’s time for you to show yo ass” he manages to touch subjects like slave names, Uncle Sam and Ashton Kutcher.  The production is very juicy and exciting, an all around great track.  After a funny skit, Boots Riley raps about the effects of kissing too much ass on a hilarious track that should not be skipped, a light track that was needed at this point in the album.  The album takes a slight stumble with ‘Get That Monkey off Your Back’ but gets up again quickly with ‘MindFuck’.  This hook obviously gained a lot of influence from Dead Prez’s track ‘Mind Sex’.  Despite the unoriginality in the hook, the tracks worked out great.  The production includes a very nice guitar loop and some guitar solos that work out very well.  Boots works out some very impressive rhymes and concepts that would do M1 and Stic.Man proud.  The album then takes turns with stronger and weaker tracks making appearances.  ‘Tiffany Hall’ and ‘The Stand’ being the only tracks that really deserve much attention 

Pick a Bigger Weapon is a solid effort, and sigh of relief for all of the concerned Coup fans who have been waiting for a new album for 5 very long years.   As a whole, the album is nowhere near flawless with several missteps, but entertains for the most part.  The funk is there, the passion is there, the knowledge is there, however something is missing.  It continues an impressive catalogue of albums from the group, and is enough to make you wish that we don’t have to wait another 5 years to hear Boots Riley’s voice.

1. Bullets & Love (Introduction)
2. We Are The Ones
3. Laugh/Love/F**k
4. My Favorite Mutiny
5. I Just Wanna Lay Around All Day In Bed With You
6. Head (Of State)
7. ShoYoAss
8. Yes 'Em To Death
9. Ass-Breath Killers
10. Get That Monkey Off Your Back
11. Mindf**k (A New Equation)
12. Two Enthusiastic Thumbs Down
13. I Love Boosters!
14. Tiffany Hall
15. BabyLet'sHaveABabyBeforeBushDoSomethin'Crazy
16. Captain Sterling's Little Problem
17. Stand, The

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Coup – Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 07:37:43 AM »
Pretty much on point!

Picked this up a few weeks ago, I usually play it when I'm after something different to whas playing on the radio. So if yer after something different w/ a lil twist of funk, I recommend you give these guys a listen.........thas if you haven't heard of them already.

That reminds me, I gotta get 'Steal This Album'!!!!

djkoast

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: The Coup – Pick A Bigger Weapon (2006)
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »
Dope review, props!  I am suprised this album is not more talked about, it is damn good.  Worth the money I spent on it.
http://the9elements.blogspot.com/

News, fashion, audio downloads, videos, reviews, and upcoming events from LA to NYC!