Author Topic: What Made You Start Listenin to Hip Hop?  (Read 801 times)

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: What Made You Start Listenin to Hip Hop?
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:25 PM »
I fell in love with hip hop back in the late 80s.  My older sister would have to babysit me and she would have to drag me around whenever she was with her boyfriend and he was into hip hop, and was listening to BDP and N.W.A.  Riding around with my sister and her boyfriend in his car is where I heard N.W.A. for the first time.  And then not too long after Rap City  and Yo MTV Raps came along and back then that shit was fire.  This was the golden era of hip hop and my sister had just abbout every dope album that was coming out around that time, and I would just listen to her tapes.  I would tape Rap City just about everyday, but this was when they actually played  dope videos not like the bullshit BET plays nowadays.

lolpol

• 'G'
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2007, 08:22:21 PM »
boyz n tha hood

You Ain't Shit

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DPGC-WSCG-4LIFE
« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2007, 10:00:56 PM »
WSCG

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:28 PM »
all the nwa shit, old school 2pac, kool mo dee, krs one, basically everything that was on yo mtv raps from 1988-1992, i dunno bout all ya'll, but the chronic made me a believer.  8)

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2007, 11:29:58 PM »
i dunno bout all ya'll, but the chronic made me a believer.  8)

oh, i believe ;D... i think that was the first "classic" album i heard, unless i heard 2001 first... dont remember

West Coast Veteran

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2007, 12:45:23 AM »
watchin Run DMC on MTV.. in the 80s i thought michael jackson was the coolest mufucker but then saw how Run DMC rolled and then started listening to Hip Hop.. bought Raising Hell and Bigger And Deffer on the same day.. well my mom did..

Sikotic™

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2007, 12:46:49 AM »
Grew up with my parents listening to it. I was listening to it in the womb.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »
I fell in love with hip hop back in the late 80s.  My older sister would have to babysit me and she would have to drag me around whenever she was with her boyfriend and he was into hip hop, and was listening to BDP and N.W.A.  Riding around with my sister and her boyfriend in his car is where I heard N.W.A. for the first time.  And then not too long after Rap City  and Yo MTV Raps came along and back then that shit was fire.  This was the golden era of hip hop and my sister had just abbout every dope album that was coming out around that time, and I would just listen to her tapes.  I would tape Rap City just about everyday, but this was when they actually played  dope videos not like the bullshit BET plays nowadays.

I remember watching Yo MTV raps for the first time in 89 or whatever, when Fab 5 Freddy was on it. My older brother used to watch it and when I watched it with him I was blown away by what I saw. EPMD, Erick B and Rakim, BDP, I was like daaaaam.... I was mesmerized.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:30 AM »
Was dablling in both rock and rap since like 98, then in 01 it was strictly Hip-Hop cuz Rock did get lame...  Did my homework and been a head ever since.

i don't see rock got any lamer than rap did in 2001. old rock, homey. that's where it's at.

-T

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »
Was dablling in both rock and rap since like 98, then in 01 it was strictly Hip-Hop cuz Rock did get lame...  Did my homework and been a head ever since.

i don't see rock got any lamer than rap did in 2001. old rock, homey. that's where it's at.

-T
old rock is the shit. from 97 on down to the beatles (i dont really listen to much stuff before that) but rock got lame as hell in and around 98

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2007, 10:02:48 AM »
I guess what I meant and feel is , there is always gonna be artists good at what they do. and there's always gonna be artists bad at what they do. Whenever people look back into the past they wanna say "oh look how good it was back then we had this dope artist and that dope artist...now we have this and that whack shit..."  but we think there's only good artists in the past cause they're the only ones we remember. Ten years from now we'll be talking about how dope this time was because all we'll remember is the dope shit from now. there's always whack and dope shit, just a matter of finding what you want.

-T

westcoastavengers.com

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2007, 11:19:42 AM »
I guess what I meant and feel is , there is always gonna be artists good at what they do. and there's always gonna be artists bad at what they do. Whenever people look back into the past they wanna say "oh look how good it was back then we had this dope artist and that dope artist...now we have this and that whack shit..."  but we think there's only good artists in the past cause they're the only ones we remember. Ten years from now we'll be talking about how dope this time was because all we'll remember is the dope shit from now. there's always whack and dope shit, just a matter of finding what you want.

-T

You're right. Everyone remembers the good hip hop of the 90's but people forgot about Marky Mark and the funky bunch, PM Dawn, Stereo MC's, Gerardo, Young Black Teenagers. People remember Doggystyle, Illmatic, shit like that, not the bad music that was around at the time.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »

-T

Their is no chance in hell ten years from now that I will look back and say how dope hip hop was in 2007.  Their were a lot of wack records being made even in hip hops heyday, but to balance that off their were also a lot of great records.  I cant name many great records that have come out recently(And no Doctors Advocate is not a great record)

XaNdEr

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2007, 10:55:12 AM »

-T

Their is no chance in hell ten years from now that I will look back and say how dope hip hop was in 2007.  Their were a lot of wack records being made even in hip hops heyday, but to balance that off their were also a lot of great records.  I cant name many great records that have come out recently(And no Doctors Advocate is not a great record)

yeah thats what im feeling too, i dont see any records coming out 2k4-2k7 (and further) going to classic status in the future like the chronic or illmatic or eazy-duz-it or w/e other classic...

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2007, 09:34:32 AM »

-T

yeah thats what im feeling too, i dont see any records coming out 2k4-2k7 (and further) going to classic status in the future like the chronic or illmatic or eazy-duz-it or w/e other classic...

BE, for example, will be remembered. Trauma will be remembered. The Inspiration? probly not so much, even if its numbers are bigger....in 10 years it will be an irrelevant work...the difference between classics and nons, there are few dope records at any given time. that's why they're dope, they're not the everyday shit. but in a decade the 3-6 records that stand out will stand out.

-T

westcoastavengers.com