Author Topic: Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang  (Read 898 times)

Matty

Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:08:15 PM »
i thought i had to a do a review of this album cause i listened to it enough and after initial dissapointment i think im now in a pretty fair position to judge it.

track 1 - get you some - good intro record to set the tone. dre drops a ridicolously hard hitting bit. a deep thudding bass accompanied by a smash of a clap and metallic strings, some highly creative shit. busta rides the beat nicely, commenting on his new aftermath situation and hyping things up as dre uses trademark piano chords and further strings to carry the track along. a track to bump in the car and supposedly was the intro record from detox. the quality of the production cannot be denied. 9/10

track 2 - touch it - the first video single produced by swizz beats. another minimal beat with deep bass and loud claps, a similar sound to the neptunes produced light your ass on fire. busta varies up his flow between the different drum patterns, his relaxed flow at first changing to a hyped up tone where he yells madly. a catchy and original record which has caught on in the clubs served its purpose. the kind of track that only someone like busta could pull off. 7.5/10

track 3 - how we do it over here - obviously made with the clubs in mind. a completely different kind of beat for dre, with thick bass and exotic horn sounds which spiral continously over the beat, giving it a unique hypnotic quality. very similar drum pattern to candy shop, which dre mixed. busta spits some generic club lyrics 'we got some shit for that ass' while missy eilliot handles the hook 'see that ass, touch me right there'. a quality production and sounds excellent in a club as the melody switches up, but something seems to be lacking which would make this the smash single it could be. busta's flow is a little lazy and someone needs to tell missy elliot that her delivery of more erotic lines can be a little unsettling. could be a big single if its released with a decent video. 8/10

track 4 - new york shit - smooth jazzy horns and bass give us an instant east coast flavour. busta drops rhymes of new york imagery and its importance to hip-hop. a great head nodder and swizzy delivers a hook which doesn't detract from the vibe. 8/10

track 5 - through the storm - sha money xl with an incredibly emotional beat (dre's input is obvious) and a standout track. stevie wonder sings about the struggle of his harsh upbringing on the hook and busta tells a similar story through his rhymes. an entire orchestra accompanies the simple but poignant piano loop and bassline. a track that any music fan can appreciate. 9.5/10

track 6 - in the ghetto - a dark twist on the rick james classic ghetto life. sounds like the rick james part is sampled but he apparently worked on the track before his death. a slow and sinister beat where busta rhymes about the seedy side of ghetto life. a perfect accompanyment to rick james vocals and some saxophone instrumentation brings the funk back. not sure about the comical low voice used to say 'in the ghetto' but a solid track. 7.5/10

track 7 - cocaina - a smooth east coast style beat from dre as busta spits about his talents and relating his energy to the drug cocaine. great keys and strings over the booming bass and some nice vocals from marsha of floetry. an incredibly smooth dre production, one of the best tracks on the album. 9/10

track 8 - you can't hold a torch - old school sounding beat from the late j dilla, a smooth simple melody and nice bassline. buss and q-tip rhyme about the lack of love for the true art of hip-hop music. incredibly smooth. 8.5/10

track 9 - goldmine - raekwon and busta reminisce about a shadier past over the smooth piano chords and organ sounds. erick sermon proves his production calibre with some help from dre. another great track with a back in the day vibe. 8.5/10

track 10 - i love my bitch - funky pop sounds from from will i.a.m of the black eyed peas and the second single. a catchy beat but busta seems out of place and uncomfortable on the track. a very forced single but to give busta credit he manages to inject it with a little of his normal swagger. 5/10

track 11 - don't get carried away - dre drops a dark end of the world style beat, fight music part 2. big strings with a big clap as busta provides some typically agressive rhymes. nas handles the second verse and drops some heat as the production switches up. 'pardon dre this beat is a monster' may be a bit obvious but its nice to hear nas sounding this good on a dre beat. a very solid track that bangs hard. 8/10

track 12 - they're out to get me - a longer track and another mellow funky beat to showcase busta's vocals as he rhymes about his stuggles in the game. solid track but doesn't add much to the album. 6.5/10

track 13 - get down - a crazy jungle beat from timbaland with crickets sounds included. another track where busta switches up his flow to match the shifting drum patterns but a weak hook and the feeling that timbaland's normal funk is severely lacking. 5/10

track 14 - i'll do it all - slow r&b beat from jellyroll with spacey sounds and big funky twists. similar to busta's earlier hit with mariah and obviously made with the clubs in mind. pales in comparison and a weak effort. 4/10

track 15 - legend of the fall off's - dre visits the recycling centre again and revives the hook from rakim's unreleased after you die. however, the track is an experimental production using the sounds of shovels and dirt as the backdrop to dark, booming piano chords. busta rhymes about artists inevitable death as they fall off but persist in the game and is then buried alive. a dark track which is well executed both conceptually and lyrically. 8.5/10

overall - a very solid album with excellent production and some brilliant tracks. somewhat of a showcase cd for busta (especially with the quanitiy of guest features) to celebrate his past success. however, the album suffers in several departments. it features a relatively consistant sound compared with many modern releases but lacks overall cohesion thanks to the tracks that have been deliberately thrown in as pop singles (in particular i love my bitch and i'll do it all). these tracks in particular bring the overall standard of the album down and while the rest of it is extremely solid, you cannot help but feel that the hyped up combination of busta and dre should have resulted in more and even better cutting edge records. the album also lacks an original smash hit single which would seriously heat the clubs up in the same vein as the earlier dre produced break ya neck. so in conclusion, the big bang could of and should have been bigger, but it's still well worth checking out due to the quantity of high quality material on offer. 7/10
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 04:12:40 PM by Matty »

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Busta Rhymes - The Big Bang
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »
Great review, props 8)

Matty

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 03:23:11 PM »
thanks 8)

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 01:46:06 PM »
I disagree with you on the point that the album is not cohesive. I find it very well put together exept for maybe the Jelly Roll track .

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 04:56:49 AM »
Been bumping this a lot latley, heres my rating:

Get You Some 5/5
Touch It 4/5
Over Here 4/5
Ny Shit 4.5/5
Been Through The Storm 5/5
Ghetto 4/5
Cocaina 4.5/5
Pass The Torch 5/5
Goldmine 5/5
I Love My Bitch 3/5
Carried Away 5/5
Out To Get Me 4/5
Track with Latoya Williams 3/5
Get Down 3/5
Fall Offs 4/5

+
bonus:
Money 5/5
Ill Hurt You 4/5

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 02:56:54 AM »
overall - a very solid album with excellent production and some brilliant tracks. somewhat of a showcase cd for busta (especially with the quanitiy of guest features) to celebrate his past success. however, the album suffers in several departments. it features a relatively consistant sound compared with many modern releases but lacks overall cohesion thanks to the tracks that have been deliberately thrown in as pop singles (in particular i love my bitch and i'll do it all). these tracks in particular bring the overall standard of the album down and while the rest of it is extremely solid, you cannot help but feel that the hyped up combination of busta and dre should have resulted in more and even better cutting edge records. the album also lacks an original smash hit single which would seriously heat the clubs up in the same vein as the earlier dre produced break ya neck. so in conclusion, the big bang could of and should have been bigger, but it's still well worth checking out due to the quantity of high quality material on offer. 7/10
i would pretty much agree with such an overall rating. the typical interscope tracks really drag it down like you said.

however i think most of dre's input on this album is some of his best work in years.

HEC

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 07:44:21 AM »
I would give this album a solid 4/5, agreed Dre's beats on here were fire