Author Topic: Busta Rhymes Is Probably In Debt To Aftermath/Interscope Right About Now  (Read 1411 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
-He probably got a big advance from the label, assuming his album would already be platinum by now.

-The deal he signed probably wasn't that lucrative, considering the biggest incentive was to work with Dr. Dre.  Some artists like Sticky Fingaz have even turned down deals with Dre, because he doesn't offer artists alot of points on their contract.

-The album was expensive to make, look at all the expensive production and guest artists.  It was also said that the album took years for him to make, so you got to factor in all the money the label loaned him for studio time, etc... Busta is gonna owe them all that money.

-All the hype and advertising blitz surrounding the album.  The expensive video's and remixes, that was all on loan to Busta Rhymes, so the artist owes all that money.  If the album don't sell enough, it becomes a debt.

...so what ya'll think?  This dude talking about how rich he is on the whole album, and he might be in debt right about now.  The album probably had to sell nearly a million copies just to break even, and he's sitting at 300,000 right now after about a month.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

J Bananas

-how many points/percentage does busta get for each album sold on aftermath?

Big Bang has had the most commercial success over any other album in bustas career. the "seven day stretch" from soundscan show his latest album as yielding higher sales than any of his other material. He might be in debt, he might not I'm not his accountant and none of us are. Until we get the numbers of what he makes off each album and what his loans were, what the interest on them were, Dre's recording costs, etc.....it wouldnt be right to specualte on how broke he is...

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
What albums are selling well this year? TI and chamillionaire. Theirs not multiple rappers going platininum so I doubt they expected him to go plat so quickly.

Suga Foot

Busta doesn't pay that money back.  The label invested in Busta's album, if it doesn't make money, it's the labels fault, not Bustas.

mauzip

What I find sad about The Big Bang is that Dr. Dre made him redo the album and then the album ended up with only a few Dre beats; Dre beats that weren't even all that in most cases.

J Bananas

Busta doesn't pay that money back.  The label invested in Busta's album, if it doesn't make money, it's the labels fault, not Bustas.

thats fuckin cool. i guess its a perk of being a legend it becomes less of a gamble with each release

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Where did you read that?

Because in most deals, the label gives advances, and pays for everything up front, but the artist ultimately owes all that money back, so everything is a loan.  So if the album doesn't sell, then artists can be in debt and have to file for bankruptcy. 

Remember MC Hammer's second album?  It sold 5 million, but the label had spent so much money on the album they were expecting it to sell 15 million. So Hammer actually ended up losing money on an album that sold 5 million, and as an artist he was in debt.  Look at TLC, they had to file for bankruptcy after they had an album sell 10 million, because they weren't awarded many points for the record, they signed a bad deal. 

^^ These are extreme examples, I know, but Busta's project was a very expensive project.  I definitely think they expected to be platinum already, and spent accordingly.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Busta Rhymes Will Probably Be Dropped From Aftermath, no second album
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 02:08:20 PM »
If your on Aftermath, you better sell big numbers or your gonna be dropped and dissapear the way Truth Hurtz did.  Look at all the artists that were dropped before there album even came out, because Dre didn't think they would sell, Rakim, King Tee, Hitman. 

If your on Aftermath, you better sell atleast 3 million, and you better sell fast.  The Aftermath Presents and the Firm album sold platinum, the Firm album debut at #1, and still those albums were considered failures by Dre's standards.  So no doubt Busta's album is considered a failure right about now.  There will be no second album, Busta is finished.

J Bananas

did busta diss islam or why the fuck do you have such a hard on for him?

BigBDrugStores

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Re: Busta Rhymes Will Probably Be Dropped From Aftermath, no second album
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 02:40:04 PM »

youngmessnucca

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 03:29:33 PM »
Busta did decent numbers...when Im On My New York Shit drops, itll reach platinum status.

youngmessnucca

Why did you feel the need to make 2 separate threads about Busta. You mad he chopped his dreads off or sumthin?

Native_Joe99

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 04:15:06 PM »
If your on Aftermath, you better sell big numbers or your gonna be dropped and dissapear the way Truth Hurtz did.  Look at all the artists that were dropped before there album even came out, because Dre didn't think they would sell, Rakim, King Tee, Hitman. 

If your on Aftermath, you better sell atleast 3 million, and you better sell fast.  The Aftermath Presents and the Firm album sold platinum, the Firm album debut at #1, and still those albums were considered failures by Dre's standards.  So no doubt Busta's album is considered a failure right about now.  There will be no second album, Busta is finished.
I thought Rakim left because of creative differences between him and dre??

notorious^q8I

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • KUWAITI........
bare in mind that busta is a co-excutive producers...
which means that he himself, invested money in the project, and he's prolly gettin a good cut from the sales to pay em back
in addition to doing show, bustas shows r always packed.. he makes enough show money to live rich, he aint dropped an album since 2002 and we was bling blingin and livin well through that time...

anothe rimportant fact is, the album has 5 dre beats, dre is an in house producer of his own label... i highly doubt dre charged busta 250 k each beat....

however, busta might be in debt to the label.. who knows none of us works there

CLASSIC.... west is BACK