Author Topic: Busta Rhymes Is Probably In Debt To Aftermath/Interscope Right About Now  (Read 1410 times)

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
so its safe to say ice cube is happy right about now then.

coola

i'll tell you why infinite is on bustas nuts... because he raps about money, and his liking to money... what infinite forgets is that he recently was gloryfying an album called "BLOOD MONEY" not too long ago...

and busta rhymes is far from broke, he has been releasing hit records for fucking years... if you dont know busta's influence, you should stick to reading the qu'ran.

ABN

^uhh there´s dozens of artists who´s put out hit record for years that are broke. and he didn´t say that Busta was broke he said that he´s in debt to Aftermath and Interscope which he obviously is.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

LOL...You're crazy if you think Busta is broke...Even if he doesn't make any money off this album (which he most likely did), the fool is stacked...From tours, TV spots, commercials, movies, guest spots, EVERYTHING. Busta is a true celebrity, not a pure rapper who's only in the spotlight when his albums are being released...Busta Rhymes is a millionaire...PeACe

tonyscarbones

• Muthafuckin' OG
why should the artist have to pay for the companies loss, it's thier investment and if it don't work it should be on them

if they advance him more than it makes, too fuckin bad

it's the same in non-music investments so why should it be different

Spicemuthafuc*in1

LOL...You're crazy if you think Busta is broke...Even if he doesn't make any money off this album (which he most likely did), the fool is stacked...From tours, TV spots, commercials, movies, guest spots, EVERYTHING. Busta is a true celebrity, not a pure rapper who's only in the spotlight when his albums are being released...Busta Rhymes is a millionaire...PeACe

no shit Busta is superpaid

kingwell

What I find sad about The Big Bang is that Dr. Dre made him redo the album and then the album ended up with only a few Dre beats; Dre beats that weren't even all that in most cases.

Wasn't that all assumptions people made that the album would have all Dre beats....

PLANT

so why dont some of these co-called "rich rap artists" just buy their own studios like Snoop and Dre and shit and just record music in your own studio then it wouldnt cost you shit no matter how long it took to make the album....

BTW, I HIGHLY doubt that Busta is going broke over the big bang....all you guys who think you are making more paper than Busta Rhymes are fuckin dumb asses.....seriously....lets not start comparing busta to mc hammer, are you guys serious?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 03:24:54 PM by PLANT »

Sikotic™

If the album bombs, all Busta has to do is pawn off a couple of those ridiculously big chains hes got around his neck, and he'll be back.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Now_Im_Not_Banned

so why dont some of these co-called "rich rap artists" just buy their own studios like Snoop and Dre and shit and just record music in your own studio then it wouldnt cost you shit no matter how long it took to make the album....

BTW, I HIGHLY doubt that Busta is going broke over the big bang....all you guys who think you are making more paper than Busta Rhymes are fuckin dumb asses.....seriously....lets not start comparing busta to mc hammer, are you guys serious?

I'm pretty sure Busta does have a studio in his crib...Most rappers do. It's just that real studios are usually the best, as opposed to home studios...

westkoastanostra

yea man...busta aint broke....dude's been active during his four year gap...remixes,featurings,movies...

somp

• Lil Geezy
After reading this thread and about how artists gets fucked by record companies (which really aint a big secret, but anyway) I got a bit more interested. Is there any web pages or articles that dig a bit more into the subject? Perhaps with the main focus on hip-hop and how record deals really work.

Don Seer

I'm pretty sure Busta does have a studio in his crib...Most rappers do. It's just that real studios are usually the best, as opposed to home studios...

yeah home studios are for prototyping.. you save money making skeleton songs there..a nd touch em up in the studio..

as usual infinite has been a bit extreme with this post.. but there are some very good points in amongst it, and those are built up and reinforced by what trauma's posted..

the industry is shady. busta knows what he's doing at this stage.. i hope!

dre will have given "mates rates" thats the best thing about being on aftermath.. no 5 figure sum for a dre beat, just a promise you'll guest if he needs you on detox etc..

Trauma-san

^ I hope that's how dre handles it, but I'd bet there's more to it.  It'd be interesting to know what kind of percentage of the album dre expects for having such a heavy hand in it. 

One thing rappers have going for them that many other musicians don't, is that they usually write their own songs and have the publishing credits for the songwriting (usually shared with the dj/producer who made the beat). 

Nashville works an entirely different way... and in my opinion, it's much more focused on good songmanship and quality musicians.  In country, almost unique to every other genre, the musicians usually don't write their own songs (save a few ultra-talented artists like Brad Paisley or Shania Twain).  The "nashville way" is usually to find a good singer, and sign him/her to a contract.  Then, you have an entire city of the world's greatest songwriters give that artist 15 songs to sing, and they put an album out.  The videos are typically inexpensive (in a half-mil type of way), and then the artist tours all year making money from the tour and also the album.  In a year, he puts out another... every year there's a new album.  Every year there's a new tour.  Every year, fans get 15 new songs written by the best songwriters in the world.... that's why country's going through the top of the charts in the past few years, its' very effective.

Now, about now you're saying "Fuck country"... well, keep in mind that this is the same way that Motown ran their business, and they were incredibly successful with great songwriters like Smokey Robinsion writing everything, and great singers like Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell, and The Temptations and the Supremes, etc.... eventually, by doing that, they gave birth to several legends who wrote, produced, AND sang their own stuff like Marvin, Smokey, and Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, etc.  So by taking a business approach in an intelligent way, Motown created legends who have immense respect today and are some of the best selling and most loved singers of all time.

Flash forward to Death Row.  Dre produces everything.  Snoop, RBX, DOC write everything.  They get a few talented MC's (Snoop, Kurupt, Daz, Rage) and have the songwriting team help them tighten up their lyrics.  The Chronic one year.  Doggystyle the next year.  "Dogg Food" the next year, etc. and they turn out hit after hit album with the same people on it, in what's really a reflection of the way of business pioneered by Nashville and Motown.  It's incredibly effective and what SOMEBODY, ANYBODY needs to get back to, to make hiphop great again, imo.

coola

^uhh there´s dozens of artists who´s put out hit record for years that are broke. and he didn´t say that Busta was broke he said that he´s in debt to Aftermath and Interscope which he obviously is.

...so what ya'll think?  This dude talking about how rich he is on the whole album, and he might be in debt right about now.

he clearly says busta is broke (being in debt = broke).