Author Topic: doesnt ice cube say "Fuck a ghostwriter" in his songs....  (Read 1077 times)

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: doesnt ice cube say "Fuck a ghostwriter" in his songs....
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 03:32:58 PM »
So Dre is wack as fuck for using a ghost writer? No one writes 100% of their own stuff, its a team effort. They sit around, throw ideas around and write songs.

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 04:58:25 PM »
So Dre is wack as fuck for using a ghost writer? No one writes 100% of their own stuff, its a team effort. They sit around, throw ideas around and write songs.

The difference is that Dre never claimed to be some super lyricist or an emcee and he never hid the fact that he uses ghostwriters. he even credits them on his song and has admitted numerous times. Eazy E and Puffy never claimed to be great lyricists either and it's no secret that both used ghostwriters. Besides, Dre came into the game as a DJ and a producer, that's where his artistry lies.

However it's a totally different situation if the artist in question is a self-professed great lyricist. Ice Cube would be in that category, so would Nas, Common, Jay-Z, Rakim, etc. For someone on that level to use ghostwriters even some of the time is definitely wack and violates the spirit of being an emcee in the first place.

With that said, Ice Cube has always been a writer so I find it highly unlikely that he ever used ghostwriters. I could see maybe getting help with a hook ro maybe taking suggestions, but writing whole songs? I don't see it.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

WestCoasta

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2006, 05:04:21 PM »
if you proclaimed yourself as a true lyricist, and you had ghostwriters, how could u sleep at night?

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2006, 05:06:56 PM »
cube used to BE a ghost writer...I heard that he was making a flick during the time of terrorist threats and had some assistance in his rhymes for that album.

The Predator

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2006, 05:46:39 PM »

The difference is that Dre never claimed to be some super lyricist or an emcee and he never hid the fact that he uses ghostwriters. he even credits them on his song and has admitted numerous times. Eazy E and Puffy never claimed to be great lyricists either and it's no secret that both used ghostwriters. Besides, Dre came into the game as a DJ and a producer, that's where his artistry lies.

However it's a totally different situation if the artist in question is a self-professed great lyricist. Ice Cube would be in that category, so would Nas, Common, Jay-Z, Rakim, etc. For someone on that level to use ghostwriters even some of the time is definitely wack and violates the spirit of being an emcee in the first place.

With that said, Ice Cube has always been a writer so I find it highly unlikely that he ever used ghostwriters. I could see maybe getting help with a hook ro maybe taking suggestions, but writing whole songs? I don't see it.

Well said.

westkoastanostra

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2006, 07:06:59 PM »
maybe after cube's war and peace albums he's been using ghostwriters.....but who knows...

sav-man

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2006, 10:04:46 PM »
I don't know...I doubt that he used ghostwriters on LAUGH NOW, CRY LATER...the one thing that Cube's always done, especially on his early stuff, is make a lot of references to things in popular culture, i.e., names of other rappers, R&B singers, movies, and (especially) TV shows, and he did that quite a bit on LAUGH NOW, CRY LATER, too (i.e., on "Stop Snitchin'", he called out Tammy Faye Baker and Martha Stewart, on "Spittin' Pollaseeds", he compares today's mainstream rap game to The Muppet Show, etc). A lot of the songs on LNCL resemble his earlier stuff in that a lot of the lines are dope, but they're also funny, too, and I think that's somewhat of a Cube characteristic (so to speak).

PEACE!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:48:52 AM by sav-man »

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2006, 10:41:33 PM »
off top, Cube is one of the most prolific writers in rap history. 2nd, he said fuck a WHITE ghostwriter (wit ya back pack tryna act black)