Author Topic: I'm about to get it started! Post your top 10 favorite producers of all time!  (Read 363 times)

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
In order:

1.  Dr. Dre- Even though it is questionable if he actually produces, if his name is on it you know it will be a hot record.  Look at Busta,Game and an early 50 Cent.  Work with Dre and a star is born.  Period.

2.  J-Dilla-I might have him higher than most but he has worked with so many great artist and according to Pharell, the greatest producer of all time.  Dilla produced Common's Like Water For Chocolate which is one of my favorite albums of all time.  It is unfortunate
that we will never be able to hear his music again but he will always be remembered for ATCQ, Q-Tip, Busta Rhymes, Slum Village,
Common, and even a little bit of the Roots.

3.  DJ Premier-Arguably the hardest producer of all time.  He has laced classic beats with almost every major artist from Snoop to Common, Nas, and Jigga.  Known for classics on the Gangstarr albums, Premo reached out to the mainstream culture and produced Limp Bizkit's N2gether Now.  Even though he hasn't done much in the last few years, he is working on tracks with Royce and Nas.

4.  Kanye West-Almost every record this guy touches turns to gold.  Look at his last two albums.  Look at Roc-A-Fella's dynasty.  K. West was on the scene.  He is working on Common's new album Finding Forever and his own.  Mr. West has had a great last few years and is arguably hip-hops future by taking music in the right direction.

5.  The Neptunes-At one point in time, the Neptunes were considered the best producers in hip hop by many.  In the same category as Premo, they have worked with virtually every big artist in hip hop.  Known mostly for club bangers, they have also branched out and worked in R&B and Rock.  Definately the most musically gifted on this list.

6.  Timbaland-From back in the days with Missy to Nelly Furtado, Timbo has laced hip hop with a genuine sound.  Known for his techno-like sound, Timbo is one of hip hops more consistent producers.  In my opinion, his best beat might be Put You On The Game from The Documentary.

7.  Hi-Tek-A producer who rose from the underground to now working on the Aftermath staff.  Hi-Tek's production skills have fallen in the last few years.  He is known for his work with Blackstar and working on recent projects with G-Unit.  Definately a one of a kind sound.  However, I hope he returns to his from from around 98.

8.  Havoc-Havoc has produced mostly every Mobb Deep track ever recorded (except from the terrible Blood Money).  Havoc would be the second hardest prodecer on this list with his New York bangers.  One of his strengths would be the uniqueness of his sound.  Known for producing Shook Ones, Quiet Storm, and Hell On Earth, Havoc has created some of hip hop's greatest instrumentals.  However now, that he is with G-Unit and Prodigy can't flow anymore, I don't know where his legacy will end up.

9.  Erick Sermon-Probably the most overlooked producer of all time.  E-Dub has been producing tracks since the 80's and has worked with Redman, Method Man, himself, Keith Murray, LL Cool J, and many other artists.  His tracks have always flown under the radar.  Little people know how many tracks he has produced.  Method Man and Redman's How High would be one of the many.

10.  Scott Storch-Last year this man was a hot commodity.  He has produced so many tracks in such a short time.  He has worked with almost every artist in hip-hop learning from Dr. Dre.  Storch has a tendancy to go very pop at times.  However, when you hear a track of his, you know it is a banger.

Post it.

8)
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
1. Dr. Dre
2. DJ Premier
3. DJ Quik
4. The Alchemist
5. Scott Storch
6. Fredwreck
7. Kanye West
8. Battlecat
9. Timbaland
10. Just Blaze

PLANT

Dre
Neptunes
RZA
Timbo
Premier
Just Blaze
Kanye
Scott Storch
HiTek
Battlecat

ecrazy

Premier
Dilla
Madlib
Dre
Neptunes
Fred Wreck
Kanye West
Just Blaze
RZA
Quik

herpes

primo
dre
pete rock
eazy mo bee
dj quik
havoc
marley marl
rza
the beatminerz
qtip

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
i'm not going to post my top 10 favorites cuz it's just going to be dre @1 and then 9 other producers similar to him

but i want to shout out a couple of producers that may or may not get the credit they deserve on this board

- timbo- when he drops a beat it's fresh , it's exciting and it's always 100% original. and on top of that the replay value is eternal, IMO he's not going to be mentioned in the same breathe as dre and rza and primo from hip hop heads 20 years from now (it's a shame cuz he's jsut as good) but i think he'll still be around in that time , relavent just like dre is .

- danger mouse- with the gorillaz album and his solo stuff and even the gnarls barkley album ,and i can't forget the danger doom album. this is where i see hip hop or music really heading towards. his work is amazing IMO

- rick ruben- the only producer who's been associated with hip hop that i will ALLOW to be spoken of  higher than dre. rick ruben was there as a pioneer of the genre, he basically created the sound and style of the second generation of hip hop , and he even left the genre and created CLASSIC albums in other genres creating new sounds and styles for another generation of rock and metal lsiteners. then he comes back and makes one of the hottest songs on a jay-z album. to me that says alot about a man's talent and skill

-muggs- to me cypress hill is dj muggs, when you hear a muggs record you're in a dark place , you're taken away from all the pretty clubs jams, you're taken away from all the conscience harvard rap , you're taken into reality . IMO RZA and his cinematic style is directly related to the way muggs makes his music. muggs' (even though he's not from the west) music is what it's like to walk down the street in the middle of the night in southern california

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J Bananas

DJ Quik - well i dont have to convince dubcc, yall know.

Primo - invented the scratch chorus, every track got that eastcoast feel u just wanna bump all thru the winter.

MF Doom - Like a thousand sci fi movies mashed together with classic rock and soul, completely original sound.

Dre - His overall sound feels engineered to be played loud, outdoors, in cali. its the soundtrack.

Heatmakerz - these nigz supply the raw powder for dipset to cook up into delicious crack music.

RZA - you can literally rap for days over his instrumentals, makes my brain feel like it will explode and just music will come out.

Fredwreck - everytime I'm in LA i gotta bump his sound, its made for southern cali

Quincy Jones - Thriller. Thriller.

Just Blaze - superhero music.

Alchemist - i used to cop his instrumental records he put out before he was a huge name. good eastcoast sound but not too prominent, u can play his beats in the background wherever.

BigBDrugStores

1.mannie fresh
2.heatmakerz
3.david banner
4.dj paul juicy j
5.crack tracks
6.klc
7.hush
8.base heavy
9.g-sta
10.arkitechs
11.kidd
12.b.g
13.juvenile
14.mouse
15.sinista
16.coree benton
17.tone tone
18.slice t
19.xl
20.ad future
21.tmix
22.batman
23.doe boys
24.deezle
25.griz
26.shondrae
27.davor & vanex
28. gurilla tek
29.mike dean
30.dave junco
31.cool&dre
32.scarface
33.rkelly
34.lesile brathwaite
35.u.p.
36.mr lee

if you want to know why i picked 36 of them, just pick up:
bun b- trill
turk-penn. chances
boo & Gotti- perfect timing
bird man-fast money
8 ball and mjg-living legends
juvenile-juve the great
lil wayne-carter 2
UTP-begining of the end
bg-heart of tha streetz vols 1&2
bg-life after cash money
lil wayne-carter 1
any hot boys CD
any HCP cd
any Dipset cd
any david banner cd
any old cash money cd

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
1.Dr.Dre
2.J.Dilla
3.Dj Premier
4.Mike City
5.Raphael Saadiq
6.Fredwreck
7.Timbaland
8.Battlecat
9.Kay Gee
10.RZA

mauzip

in no particular order:

Mannie Fresh -> a great hip hop producer and a possibly even better R&B producer, time will tell
Dr. Dre -> as far as R&B goes, he's not one of the greatest, but as far as hip hop goes there is no question he is one of the greatest
DJ Quik -> incredible producer for both R&B and hip hop
Mike Mosley -> legendary underground West Coast hip hop producer and main producer of my favorite (R&B) album
Damizza -> very underrated cat... he's in my list because of some songs he's done with TQ are some of the greatest songs of all time in my opinion (Our Life, The Ghetto, Used To, The Grind)
R. Kelly -> probably the best R&B producer EVER
Battlecat -> I just love the man's beats, lol
Kanye West -> he hasn't been in the game for so long, but to me he's the high light of urban music in the last few years
The Neptunes -> versatile duo with classic records under their belt
Erick Sermon -> I agree with Minkaveli there... not many people know Dr. Dre jacked the idea to use that sample in California Love from Erick Sermon, lol

Eddie G.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
1.  DJ Quik
2.  R. Kelly
3.  Dr. Dre
4.  Jermaine Dupri
5.  Mannie Fresh
6.  Battlecat
7.  The Neptunes
8.  Warren G
9.  Mike Dean
10.  Pimp C