Author Topic: Trees could grow in Antarctica within century: scientist  (Read 785 times)

J Bananas

Trees could grow in Antarctica within century: scientist
« on: July 12, 2006, 04:46:35 PM »
SYDNEY (AFP) - Trees could be growing in the Antarctic within a century because of global warming, an international scientific conference heard.
ADVERTISEMENT

With carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere set to double in the next 100 years, the icy continent could revert to how it looked about 40 million years ago, said Professor Robert Dunbar of Stanford University.

"It was warm and there were bushes and there were trees," he told some 850 delegates in the Tasmanian capital Hobart, the national AAP news agency reported.

The delegates are attending the combined meetings of the Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research and the Council of Managers of National Antarctic Programs.

Dunbar said climate experts were predicting a doubling of the levels of carbon dioxide by 2100, "but it actually looks like it's going to come sooner unfortunately."

Scientists blame greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, produced mainly by the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil, for causing rising temperatures worldwide.

I for one am looking forward to global warming. It will do wonders for real estate across northern cali, imagine the san francisco avg temp up in the seventies, the bay area would become an even better tourist destination, and my families homes resale would skyrocket.. bye bye san diego  :), lets all spray some aresol cans in the air tomorrow morning

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Trees could grow in Antarctica within century: scientist
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 05:29:43 PM »
san francisco is already an expensive place to live

are they saying trees growing in the arctic bad or good?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

mauzip

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:34:31 PM »

It's an objective article, they're just saying what could happen. Not if it's good or bad :P

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »
Cant wait to live there.  ;D

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:40:13 PM »

It's an objective article, they're just saying what could happen. Not if it's good or bad :P

i figured that about THAT article but what is the general concensus about this. if trees growing in the arctic is a reality, then what is the scientific community saying about this ?

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 05:45:26 PM »
we should be gone by then  :D
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »

i figured that about THAT article but what is the general concensus about this. if trees growing in the arctic is a reality, then what is the scientific community saying about this ?

Not good

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »

Obviously not good, if it's gunna be due to global warming...LMAO.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 11:51:01 PM »
that's a pretty blanket statement....because it's caused by global warming

would some of you care to elaborate more why this would be bad

coola

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 03:24:05 AM »
^ the rest of the world would probably be flooded.. and i doubt trees would grow, too much CO2 = no life. fuckin quirky scientists.

AndrE16686

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 09:08:32 AM »
They say global warming brings cancer,
And cancer ends lives,
Real estate in Cali climbing,
while a muthafucker dies....

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 09:15:04 AM »
When it becomes "hot" enough for trees to grow in Antarctica, that would mean that humans would literally get burned like vampires by the sun in already hot places like Los Angeles, that people couldn't live in places like Kenya no more goes without saying. Jome's grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand grand [...] children would be naturally blacks in Norway. You decide if those things would be bad. In addition, all the ice in the oceans would melt and therefore the oceans would be flooded with water, therefore the land might as well be flooded. Future sucks.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Don Seer

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
^ the rest of the world would probably be flooded.. and i doubt trees would grow, too much CO2 = no life. fuckin quirky scientists.

yup around where i live would be flooded.. i think the part of town where i live would be ok.. but i wouldnt be able to cross town to say where my work is, or where the town centre is..  as the currently 4 car or so width river would be 1/2 mile wide..

time to by me some farm land high up!!

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 04:20:56 PM »
So is it possible to live on mars yet?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 04:33:40 PM »
So is it possible to live on mars yet?

The answer lies within the "delete account" button...