Author Topic: African Americans (from maddox lol)  (Read 370 times)

J Bananas

African Americans (from maddox lol)
« on: July 16, 2006, 12:25:07 PM »
the label "African American" is the dumbest, most persistently used phrase in our vernacular. Every time you call someone an "African American," you're making at least two assumptions about the person:

1. That the person is an American. For example, if you saw this guy walking along on a street, you would probably think:

...which is fine, except for one small detail: this man is British, which makes you a presumptuous cock.

2. That the person is African (because it's inconceivable that black people could come from Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica). Nevermind that; BLACK PEOPLE ONLY COME FROM AFRICA.

Not to mention that every time you give a black person the distinction of being "African American" out of a mixed group, you're making an assumption about an entire continent; not everyone from Africa is black. I guarantee all you politically correct morons out there have never called a white person an African American. Of course you could avoid all these problems by using the same standards on blacks as you would on whites by simply assuming that all whites are from Africa just as you do for all blacks, but that might be too forward, and in a polite society like ours, people would be all too pleased to point out which of the 192 countries you didn't guess they were actually from.

coola

Re: African Americans (from maddox lol)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 12:26:58 PM »
haha good post... maddox for president.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 01:00:38 PM »
Good post. The definition of "African American" has some holes in it, but as long as stupid (or some common) assumptions aren't made it is a satisfactory term IMO.

Not to mention that every time you give a black person the distinction of being "African American" out of a mixed group, you're making an assumption about an entire continent; not everyone from Africa is black.
I guarantee all you politically correct morons out there have never called a white person an African American. Of course you could avoid all these problems by using the same standards on blacks as you would on whites by simply assuming that all whites are from Africa just as you do for all blacks, but that might be too forward, and in a polite society like ours, people would be all too pleased to point out which of the 192 countries you didn't guess they were actually from.
I'm pretty sure the definaintion of an African American includes the fact that they ARE black.

Eihtball

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 01:08:04 PM »
I am an African...I was made in the image of GOD.  Africa is the homeland of GODS...the only whites on it are occupiers who are not originally from there.  Likewise, the blacks in North and South America were taken from their homeland against their will to serve the devil as slaves.  So in that respect, there is nothing wrong with considering all blacks to be Africans.

As far as African-American goes, I see no reason to use that label when I am not considered welcome in AmeriKKKa.

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 01:22:34 PM »
My parents were born in haiti I consider myslef Haitian African-American and Black but if that dude  u got in ya pictures insists hes British then hes a uncle tom whos not proud of who he is.

Don Seer

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »
african-american sounds cooler than african-anglomofo or whatever the correct phrase would be..

african englishman i think?

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 01:27:33 PM »
We should all just be people. Labels are what keep people seperated.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

Don Seer

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 01:28:41 PM »
I consider myslef Haitian African-American and Black but if that dude

shouldnt that be african-haitian-american?

boycriedwolf619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 01:34:08 PM »
I consider myslef Haitian African-American and Black but if that dude

shouldnt that be african-haitian-american?

nah if anything Its would be Haitian-American but I just consider myslef all three

Fiyah

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 01:34:54 PM »
its still a fucking person!!!! i agree with that lincoln dude

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 02:07:42 PM »
I totally agree with Maddox, the term African-American always pissed me off for those exact reasons and I never use it.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Word to Everything

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 07:14:16 PM »
Maddox has no point...

If Mauzip or 7 were walking down the street in America, I would assume they were American  :o OMG I'm a presumptuous cock.

BLACK PEOPLE ONLY COME FROM AFRICA.

The same way every Latino in SoCal is Mexican  :D

Anywho I wasn't born in America so fuck 'em.