Author Topic: FAT JOE INTERVIEW...only for you  (Read 83 times)

Crenshaw_blvd

FAT JOE INTERVIEW...only for you
« on: January 19, 2002, 02:52:25 AM »
Why the long hiatus between solo projects?

I was busy working on Pun's shit...Cuban [Linx]'s album. I was trying to get them off the ground first. We got a crew, the Terror Squad crew. It's a bunch of us, so we try to give everyone a fair shot. We did the Terror Squad album, so some of the artists could get some exposure. After Pun died, I realized that if anyone was going to bring the Squad back it'd have to be me. So, that's when I stepped up.

What's the concept behind the new album, J.O.S.E.?

My favorite album ever was my second album, Jealous Ones Envy. That was my pride and glory and that was when I was all alone. I had just met Pun at the end of the album. So, when he died I felt real alone. I knew I had to go in the studio and record a hell of an album...get back in that all alone zone. Almost like when Michael Jordan came back with the Washington Wizards and they would go to the playoffs, he would put himself back in that zone of when he was in Chicago and try to duplicate that. If not make it better.

How have the WTC attacks affected you?

I just feel very sad for what happened to all the victims; all of New York City. Why did it have to happen here? When I pray at night, I say man, at least, Pun didn't get to see this. This is some disgusting shit. But, we gotta move on with life. We need to help the volunteers, the police, the firemen...I think the Hip-Hop community is really doing that and will continue to in a major way. We're always viewed as negative and that we're f*cking savages, we don't know sh*t.

With America's new war, do you think twice about your lyrics?

No way, because it's still eff the police. It's that they're doing a hell of a job right now. Who's to say a year from now they won't be sticking a plunger up the next Abner Louima's ass? I'm a guy that's affected by what goes on in life, momentarily, what happens in history and what can happen. I don't run with emotions at that moment, I think logically.

Have you ever thought of doing a Spanish cut for the Latin American market?

I would never do that...I can't do that. But, I'm doing the "La Rumba" remix with RZA and Method Man. I'm going to rhyme in Spanish and English, it's a choice I wanted to do. For years, people have been trying to make me do songs in Spanish, but I always felt like it was a stereotype. People be like, "Yo Joe, do a song with me," and it has a Spanish beat. I'm like come on man, I'm Latino, but I'm into the real Hip-Hop sh*t. I don't get down like that. But, with the RZA and Wu-Tang, nigg*s that I appreciate what they've done for the Hip-Hop game, I know they real. I know they're not coming on some stereotype sh*t.

Have you ever visited your islands of your origin, Puerto Rico and Cuba?

Personally, I'm was scared to fly way before this [WTC]. I haven't flown in, like, nine years. So, I don't get to go to Puerto Rico or Cuba. I just do bus tours all around the country. Once or twice I went to the Bahamas and Jamaica on a boat, and I hated that, too.

What's your stance on the U.S. military occupation of Vieques?

It's f*cked up; they need to get the f*ck outta there. Poisoning the water and sh*t. But anyway, they're leaving in 2003, so we just gotta put up with it for the next two years. I mean, we support our country; we pay taxes. But, at the same time, you're throwing bombs where people live at and messing up a beautiful place.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »