Author Topic: ~The Lakers Are Ready~ No more moves required this off-season+Bynum tears it up!  (Read 359 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

First and foremost, I'd like to make sure EVERYONE takes note of the way Bynum has been tearing up the summer league. Today, he hit 10-10 FG, 5-7 Free Throws, 11 rebounds, 2 blocks, 2 steals to finish with 25 points in 32 minutes...Guys! Amare Stoudamire is only averaging 20 points and 6 rebounds in the summer league, Bynum is NO DOUBT going to be something... Also, Devin Green is probably gunna secure that last roster spot, as he's been playing excellent as well. Today, Green had 12-14 FG, 8 Rebounds, 4 assists, and 1 steal to finish with 26 points!!!! If that doesn't beat out Wafer (who's been stinking it up in the summer league) and Pinnock (who's impressed most, but doesn't have the experience Green does) for the last roster spot, then I don't know what will...

http://www.summerproleague.com/july18game3.pdf

PG Smush Parker...Jordan Farmar/Shammond Williams
SG Kobe Bryant...Sasha Vujacic/Maurice Evans
SF Vladimir Radmanovic...Luke Walton/Devin Green(?)
PF Lamar Odom...Brian Cook/Ronny Turiaf
C Kwame Brown...Chris Mihm/Andrew Bynum

Coach: Phil Jackson
:rock: :banana_cow: :rock:

And here's the article:

Roster Set Already?
By Eric Pincus
for HOOPSWORLD.com
Jul 17, 2006, 21:12    

With the initial rush of free agency subsiding, the Los Angeles Lakers have already improved upon the 2005/6 roster that won 45 games.  Though further changes are possible, the current crop of players is probably close to the group that will be at training camp in October.

The Lakers have already used four of their five major assets to add a few new faces to the roster:

Mid-Level Exception $5.2 million:
  The Lakers badly needed a shooter.  With their mid-level they acquired Vladimir Radmanovic who has good size (6'10") and is very effective at the catch and shoot.  He can play either forward position and is a proficient team defender (rotates well), though he's not particularly strong defensively one-on-one.  Although Radmanovic does not have the game that Peja Stojakovic had at his peak a few years back in Sacramento, Radmanovic is a younger, healthier version of the current Stojakovic, but at half the price.  The Lakers won't suddenly fill every hole with one move, Radmanovic addresses a need.

Bi-Annual Exception $1.75 million:  In a move that left most fans scratching their heads, the Lakers used their BAE on free agent Shammond Williams who has been out of the NBA for a couple of seasons.  Yes, he's Kevin Garnett's first cousin and maybe that was a minor consideration, but Williams has been tearing it up from behind the arc in Europe.  He's a cheap, short-term fix while the Lakers look to improve long term.  Though a player like Flip Murray signed with Detroit for their BAE, he was less of a triangle fit considering his lack of shooting range.

Trade Exception $1.975 million:  Laker GM Mitch Kupchak parlayed the team's trade exception from the Jumaine Jones trade (Charlotte Bobcats) along with the team's 2006 second round pick to bring in guard Mo Evans.  With Evans, the Lakers get an athletic, capable defender with an ability to score.  Although he doesn't have much of a three-point shot, he's a career 44.7% shooter from the field.  How someone will fit into the triangle can sometimes be a mystery, but Evans was a solid pickup at a very low price.  He's under contract for the next two seasons at $1.5 million each.  With Shammond and Radmanovic, LA got a pair of shooters.  With Evans the team's perimeter defense should improve.

2006 NBA Draft:  The Lakers used their 26th pick to draft UCLA point guard Jordan Farmar.  After a handful of games with the Laker summer league entrant at the SPL, Farmar looks to be a steal that low in the first round.  Though he needs to prove himself against NBA caliber talent, his performance in Long Beach showed a natural understanding of the triangle offense.  If he can add some strength and improve his jump shot, Farmar could be a long term solution at the point.  It's too early to expect too much from Farmar, but the potential is there.

With three point guards on the roster with one-year deals, Smush Parker, Sasha Vujacic (if the Lakers don't take up his fourth-year option) and Williams . . . the Lakers may be saving a spot in the starting lineup for Farmar down the road.  Whether it be Farmar, a future acquisition, or even Lamar Odom . . . the point guard position is currently the team's biggest question mark.

The Lakers also acquired Danilo (JR) Pinnock from the Dallas Mavericks on draft day.  Unfortunately there is no roster spot available, which suggests Pinnock will be headed overseas next season.  Pinnock has the tools to develop into a solid defensive player.  He also showed a number of flashes offensively on the summer league team.  If the Lakers do manage to make a roster spot, Pinnock could end up the 15th man next season.

Thus the Lakers have used four of their five primary tools to improve.  Although the team can still sign veterans to the minimum salary, without the roster space it's unlikely they do so unless they use the fifth and final tool this summer.

Trades: Other than the few swaps the Lakers made around the draft, the team has yet to subtract a player.  Assuming that Ronny Turiaf is a lock to have his contract guaranteed, the Lakers already have the full complement of 15 players under contract.  If they are still in the market for talent, someone will have to go to make room.  Along with Pinnock's uncertainty, Von Wafer's contract is not guaranteed and in jeopardy.  Free agents Devin Green (restricted) and Laron Profit (unrestricted), both highly regarded, are also out of a job.

A recent report on ESPN.com indicated that the Lakers made a pitch to the Atlanta Hawks for forward Al Harrington.  It appears that this coincided with the brief window when a Maryland judge ruled that the Hawks could only add players on a one year deal (part of the ownership dispute legal battle).  That decision was quickly amended to allow for four year deals, this making a Laker package built around Chris Mihm far less attractive.

Despite the uncertainty at the point guard position, word is the Lakers have made inquiries around the league looking for another forward.  Unfortunately, a young talented prospect like David West would be unavailable for the bait the Lakers are willing to offer.  If the team is indeed serious about a forward, they may have more success going after a veteran like Juwan Howard.

The Laker bait would appear to include Chris Mihm, Aaron McKie and Von Wafer (as filler).  With the current roster duplication, Brian Cook and Sasha Vujacic may also be available.  In the right package, could the Lakers even move Smush Parker?

The Bottom Line
The Lakers have improved.  They may already be a 50-win team, if healthy.

Although the core is primarily in place, a deal with multiple players going out to create roster space is a definite possibility.

No one is mistaking the Lakers for the elite of the NBA, but they should already be a bottom four seed in the West.  With a favorable playoff match up, the Lakers may even surprise with a series victory or two.

That's not bad considering there are still three and a half months to go until training camp . . .

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18152.shtml

rik

I can't wait till the start of the season.

Doggystylin

seriously man, i hate the off-season, its a bunch of shit....cant wait til october, im fiending for the laker season to begin

wcsoldier

I can't wait till the start of the season.

PLANT

Hopefully Bynum can bring the Lakers a solid inside presence and Kobe can stay healthy.....I think Odom will be the key factor to them having a good year and making the playoffs.

rik

Hopefully Bynum can bring the Lakers a solid inside presence and Kobe can stay healthy.....I think Odom will be the key factor to them having a good year and making the playoffs.

Yeah man...if he plays like he did towards the end of the season and most of the playoffs we should make some noise.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

seriously man, i hate the off-season, its a bunch of shit....cant wait til october, im fiending for the laker season to begin

Yea...But at least we bettered our team. That's 2 years in a row that we've done so, we should be no less than a 4th or 5th seed this year... 8)

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Summer league means absolutely nothing though,not hating but until he does anything in an actual game i wouldnt get hyped about it.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Summer league means absolutely nothing though,not hating but until he does anything in an actual game i wouldnt get hyped about it.

Summer League means nothing? LOL...Then what's the point of having it? Summer League show-cases skill, potential, upside, etc. in young players...PeACe

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Summer League means nothing? LOL...Then what's the point of having it? Summer League show-cases skill, potential, upside, etc. in young players...PeACe
Let's be real...obviuosly there is a point to Summer League. Like you said its for young players to work on thier game...but lets not turn Bynum into Hakeem Olajuon because he had a goodnight in summer league.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Let's be real...obviuosly there is a point to Summer League. Like you said its for young players to work on thier game...but lets not turn Bynum into Hakeem Olajuon because he had a goodnight in summer league.

A good night? He's been owning, not only 1 night...Like I said, Amare Stoudemire is putting up worse stats than Bynum in the Summer League. I'm not saying he's the next Hakeem without a doubt, but he definitely has a nice future ahead of him, especially if you take his age into consideration...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Oh, and Summer League is not to "work on your game", it's for scouts/coaches/front-office/etc. to see which players are the best to make the teams final roster...PeACe

PLANT

Summer league is a good thing IMO....it showcases a players talent, and willingness to prove the team that he deserves to be there.  They're still playing against decent competition.  It also helps develope young players and lets them take on a "lead role" so to speak.....I think the summer league does great things for players like Bynum, Bargnani, Aldrige ect....

Suffice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ain't no motherfuckin' llama!
NIk you're an idiot. This team is even weaker than last year's. We don't need any more moves? Are you retarded? This team looks like the clippers 5-6 years ago
"You only live once, you might as well die now" - Slim Shady (RIP)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

NIk you're an idiot. This team is even weaker than last year's. We don't need any more moves? Are you retarded? This team looks like the clippers 5-6 years ago

LMFAOOOO!! I'm an idiot? Please, never try discussing basketball. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about, Phil Jackson addressed his needs for the triangle and Lakers went out and got them. How is this team worse than last years? LOL, idiot, we didn't even lose any players, we only added a younger, healthier Peja Stojakovic who can shoot lights out and create openings for Kobe in Vladimir Radmanovic, and brought in security at the point guard by drafting Jordan Farmar and signing Shamond Williams...and the triangle takes more than a year to learn, the fact that this team has been together for a year is in its own an improvement...Please don't think you are worthy of posting in a basketball topic, or even try doubting me when it comes to knowledge in basketball, ESPECIALLY the Lakers...PeACe