Author Topic: ready to die or life after death  (Read 751 times)

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
ready to die or life after death
« on: July 21, 2006, 09:44:43 PM »
                                                                      alright here it is

VS

i just wanna know what people thought in comparing the only 2 albums put out by Biggie.  If you could also please state why you chose a certain album over the other.  For example use factors like the flow, rhyme concepts, what you felt he was feeling while making both albums, etc.

would really like to know how you guys really feel about them and then ill drop my thoughts later

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 10:06:57 PM by macknlatin36 »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: ready to die or life after death
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:57:31 PM »
I don't think this deserves to be a question...

"Ready To Die" >> "Life After Death"

westkoastanostra

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 10:34:00 PM »

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 02:22:57 AM »
Clearly Ready To Die. The album was more cohensive and the rugged beats suited his flow better. Life After Death was a little all over the place in styles, had some embarassingly jiggy songs on it and didn't fit together nearly as well as Ready to Die did.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 02:45:15 AM »
I never liked "Ready To Die" so I'm goin with "Life After Death".
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 03:05:09 AM »
ready to die  8)

The Best of 3 Worlds

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:07:05 AM »
Life After Death for me. Cant really explain why. I love both albums but I bump Life After Death a lil bit more.

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 06:51:47 AM »
Ready to die easily, life after death is not a classic imo.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

hempkside2

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 08:13:30 AM »
ready 2 dizzle. 8)

Eihtball

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 08:45:05 AM »
Both are classics, but it's easily "Ready to Die" for me.  I like "Life After Death" a lot, too, but the grittier sound and cohesive feel of "Ready to Die" are more of the kind of music I like.  "Life After Death" does contain some of my all-time favorite Biggie songs, tho...like "Kick In The Door" and "I Love The Dough".

It isn't?  It only sold Diamond (one of very few rap albums to do that), contains several of Biggie's biggest hits ("Mo Money Mo Problems" and "Hypnotize", both of which are still getting rotation to this day) and confirmed Bad Boy's (and the East Coast's) rise to power in the late-90s.  Of course "Life After Death" is a classic...an album can't have that kind of impact on hip-hop and NOT be considered a classic.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 08:53:13 AM »
Both are classics, but it's easily "Ready to Die" for me.  I like "Life After Death" a lot, too, but the grittier sound and cohesive feel of "Ready to Die" are more of the kind of music I like.  "Life After Death" does contain some of my all-time favorite Biggie songs, tho...like "Kick In The Door" and "I Love The Dough".

It isn't?  It only sold Diamond (one of very few rap albums to do that), contains several of Biggie's biggest hits ("Mo Money Mo Problems" and "Hypnotize", both of which are still getting rotation to this day) and confirmed Bad Boy's (and the East Coast's) rise to power in the late-90s.  Of course "Life After Death" is a classic...an album can't have that kind of impact on hip-hop and NOT be considered a classic.

According to your definition, MC Hammer has put out a classic album...

rik

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 08:53:26 AM »

Eihtball

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 09:28:33 AM »

Hammer was important to hip-hop history.  It was his popularity that broke down the doors for greater acceptance of hip-hop in the mainstream.

On the other hand, his music is only "classic" in the sense that it's basically an amusing footnote in hip-hop history.  Biggie's music, on the other hand, is still respected and loved to this day.  In other words, "U Can't Touch This" hasn't aged as gracefully as "Hypnotize"...that is the difference, son.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 09:59:01 AM »

Hammer was important to hip-hop history.  It was his popularity that broke down the doors for greater acceptance of hip-hop in the mainstream.

On the other hand, his music is only "classic" in the sense that it's basically an amusing footnote in hip-hop history.  Biggie's music, on the other hand, is still respected and loved to this day.  In other words, "U Can't Touch This" hasn't aged as gracefully as "Hypnotize"...that is the difference, son.

You said nothing of how it "aged", all you said was...

an album can't have that kind of impact on hip-hop and NOT be considered a classic.

...son.

Eihtball

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 10:02:07 AM »

You said nothing of how it "aged", all you said was...

an album can't have that kind of impact on hip-hop and NOT be considered a classic.

...son.

And I still stand by that statement.  Generally speaking, "classic" status is determined by the effect that an album has on the genre.  It's just that "Please Hammer Don't Hurt Em" is a classic for nostalgia reasons only, while "Life After Death" is a classic because it contains some of the greatest hip-hop music ever recorded.