Author Topic: LOL.. suprise suprise, Jay-Z is making a Comeback album, another fake retirement  (Read 2257 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before

He's not even all that great at that. He only has one real mega hit and that was vol. 2 which sold over 5 million copies. He sells okay numbers but for this great business mind he claims to have he really hasn't sold all that much or made all that much as an artist. RD went Gold (finished at platinum years later), Vol 1 went platinum, Volume 3 did good with the rebound sales finishing off at 3x, but Dynasty only went platinum right after, and the highly touted Blueprint only went 2x and he blamed it on 9/11. Maybe if he was smart enough to release Renegade as a video he would have went 4X or 5X but then he'd look bad. The Black Album did alright at 3x so far. That's about 16 million on solo album sales, and throw in another and make it 17 for Best of Both Worlds. Blueprint 2 says 3 platinum but that's abunch of shit. It sold 1.5 and counts as two because it was double but it only cost as much as 1 disc. The magic of illusion. But let's make three and bump him to 20 million because I'm nice. So after10 discs worth he has sold 20 million of them (that's assuming the alleged soundscan scams he was part of were false) while someone like Nelly sells 19 million discs with 4 albums.

I dare someone to show Jay Z as a top ten moneymaking artist any year from '97 to '06, because I've never seen him there.

His label was able to make Memphis Bleek sell platinum.. that's great marketing.  I don't think we can argue that he's been able to generate record sales, maybe not as many as Nelly or Eminem, but he's got other ventures like the clothing line that was really successful with Rockefella.  The dude is a great businessman.  I'll give him that.  As an artist, he's average.  He's an average east coast rapper, he's an AZ level rapper, talent wise.

I was referring to his sales alone as an artist. He does well but he presents himself to be much higher than he really is, and the media maintains that illusion. Just like with Timberlake or Beyonce, the way they talked about those artists when their albums came out you'd think they went diamond, when they were far from it.

SGV

Today: Jay-Z >>> Eminem.

There could not be another emcee like Jigga, no matter how hard dudes try. Eminem, if his skin was darker, would've been another Ras Kass, Talib Kweli, etc. Dude's NOT as great as everyone TRIES to make him out to be. Dude fell off after his first album and just continues to sink lower and lower. People have the nerve to diss someone like Cam'Ron for rapping non-sensical shit, but will be quick to give Eminem a pass for making a song like "Ass Like That." LOL. Dude's garbage.

In their prime's: Jigga > Eminem.

That "Renegade" track was a bunch of hype. You would hope that Eminem, as an emcee, would have crafted a beat that he knew he could rip.

As Business Men: Jigga >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eminem

Roc-A-Wear (though not Jay's sole creation) shit's all over Shady Wear (LMAO. Who wears that shit?). Roc-A-Fella (and now Def Jam) shit's on Shady.

Take away Slim Shady LP, Eminem is just another rapper that makes a catchy first single but follows up with mediocre albums.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Eminem, if his skin was darker, would've been another Ras Kass, Talib Kweli, etc.

LMAO!...How embarrassing.

SGV

Eminem, if his skin was darker, would've been another Ras Kass, Talib Kweli, etc.

Yes it is embarrassing for emcee's like Ras Kass and Kweli. They have amazing skills, but you'd be damned to hear them get the credit they deserve for it on a regular basis.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Yes it is embarrassing for emcee's like Ras Kass and Kweli. They have amazing skills, but you'd be damned to hear them get the credit they deserve for it on a regular basis.

Yeah Ras Kass is the shit and I dont care what anyone says.  Dude is amazing and deserves sooooo nuch more credit

BizzyR.I.P.

Yeah Ras Kass is the shit and I dont care what anyone says.  Dude is amazing and deserves sooooo nuch more credit
But he never will. He usually gets tagged as another underground rapper, a great rapper with wack ass beats, or a racist.

Spicemuthafuc*in1

"Ras Kass king of the west acknowledge this, or get a piece of the rock like meteorologists"   

Dude is raw

Now_Im_Not_Banned

They have amazing skill, but they never were anywhere NEAR the charisma or significance of Eminem in his prime...Kweli is on some complete other shit, with his conscious rap, you know most people don't eat that, and Ras Kass just has a flow that, sadly, isn't really catchy amongst the mainstream...You're out of it man, just slap them chins...PeACe

Spicemuthafuc*in1

They have amazing skill, but they never were anywhere NEAR the charisma or significance of Eminem in his prime...Kweli is on some complete other shit, with his conscious rap, you know most people don't eat that, and Ras Kass just has a flow that, sadly, isn't really catchy amongst the mainstream...You're out of it man, just slap them chins...PeACe

doesnt matter pound for pound ras kass could easily hang with eminem and i think he would beat him in a battle

Now_Im_Not_Banned

doesnt matter pound for pound ras kass could easily hang with eminem and i think he would beat him in a battle

Ras Kass is a great lyricist...Eminem is more of a battle rapper and is much better at putting together songs. Despite all that, Ras Kass has amazing talent, he's one of the greatest westcoast lyricists ever...PeACe

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Ras Kass is a great lyricist...Eminem is more of a battle rapper and is much better at putting together songs. Despite all that, Ras Kass has amazing talent, he's one of the greatest westcoast lyricists ever...PeACe

its hard to pick one or another if your comparing them both in their primes, amazing talent

Sikotic™

Ras Kass's inability to make songs that appeal to the general public is what holds him down. Definitely a lyrical giant though. Just listening to Soul On Ice is an experience.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Spicemuthafuc*in1

Ras Kass's inability to make songs that appeal to the general public is what holds him down. Definitely a lyrical giant though. Just listening to Soul On Ice is an experience.

neway ne1 can hook up that album, i havnt heard it in days

SGV

Like I said, change the skin color, you'd be singing a different tune (instead of Dreidel Dreidel Dreidel).

Sikotic™

neway ne1 can hook up that album, i havnt heard it in days

I'm on it, like Sparegeez mom.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE