Author Topic: Your Expectations Regarding Dr. Dre's Production  (Read 386 times)

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
Your Expectations Regarding Dr. Dre's Production
« on: July 26, 2006, 03:40:10 PM »
I'm curious to what you guys expect from Dre in the future. I ask this because it seems that many people expect every beat that Dre puts out to be a crazy banger like "Nuthin' But A G-Thang" or "What's The Differrence". It's like even if Dre makes a dope ass track that's as good as what most of the top producers today do... people will still be dissapointed. Two Q's:

1) Before DETOX drops we know that we'll likely hear Dre production on Stat Quo's debut as well as Eve (and whatever else he drops before DETOX). What are you expecting from Dre for these projects?

2) For DETOX, are you expecting every track to be a hard-hitting banger like "Still DRE"? 'Cause even on both Chronics, there were many great tracks that were smooth, complex but mellow... but not neccisarrily a crazy hard-hitting banger.

Just curious...

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
Re: Your Expectations Regarding Dr. Dre's Production
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 04:05:13 PM »
I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.

Also, I don't know how much rock you guys listen to, but some artists like The Mars Volta structure albums that seemlessly flow from one song to the next. Usually the songs transform, or carry on a certain sound that gradually switches up. Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspensful.

lol, these ideas might seem to complicated or "not hip hop" but I think Dre could really change the game with a cinematic approach to the Detox. It would truly be a masterpiece if pulled off together. What do you guys think?

...Another thing I want to add is that even though songs may blend, the songs can be taken individually and still satisfy the listener. This creates an effect of being able to get into the CD at different levels - the casual approach where the typical fan just bumps the singles/skips around, and another level where someone could sit down and listen to the whole thing like watching a movie. Same thing goes for a good book...on the outside it could be a gripping action novel that someone reads to pass time, but underneath it could have endless layers you could analyze over and over again.

Matty

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 04:26:16 PM »
i want dre to continue to drop some stuff which perfectly combines elements in the way that he's known for. a crisp, clean, perfectly mixed sound. id like to see him experiment with more sounds and perhaps use more instruments that he's been doing recently. the idea of a changing production throughout a track has been tested and i think its dope, but there is a lot more potential for that kind of thing to be exploited.

the only dre beat that has impressed me for a while was the outta control rmx, the bass was straight evil, the piano was smooth and the guitar gave it that added funk. if he can come up with a load more beats like this but with more instruments and his usual vocalists (nate on the hook etc) i will be more than happy. the hook on that 'talk about me' track was ridicolous as well, the way the strings kind of changed with the melody, that was some next level stuff to me. the stuff he dropped on the big bang was pretty bog standard except for get you some which was a great idea but a very basic beat.

i think the beat that timbaland dropped for promiscuous was the most insane thing that anyone has dropped this year. the way he used that instrument on the hook was just :0 for me its definitely about experimenting with these new kinds of sounds and coming up with some crazy combinations. i want to hear all kinds of sounds colliding into eachother while maintaning the bumpability that dre is known for. i cant see dre doing too much different on the stat quo or whoever he is gonna give beats to in the near future.

kaptainslapaho

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 04:57:18 PM »
I was listening to Don't Get Carried Away and noticed how during Nas' verse the beat sounds different to accompany Nas' voice/flow. Like the strings get more dramatic in the background...it really differentiates Nas from Busta in the song.

What I think Dre could be moving towards for Detox is having certain "characteristics" of the music repeat when a certain rapper comes on. I know he's expressed how he wants his final album to transcend hip hop into a more cinematic approach (this is what prog and other types of rock have been experimenting with for a long time). Attaching a certain instrument or sound to a rapper makes them more of a character and familiarizes the listener with his/her "character" so to speak. Now some of you might be put off by this, but it could be subtle things like something in the drums that is added in or a certain instrument.

Also, I don't know how much rock you guys listen to, but some artists like The Mars Volta structure albums that seemlessly flow from one song to the next. Usually the songs transform, or carry on a certain sound that gradually switches up. Interesting things come up from this. For example, the beginning and end of the album could sound structurally and musically alike, but the middle reaches depths or heights that don't sound like the intros/finales. Or the entire album completely changes from beginning to end, but the change is gradual and suspensful.

lol, these ideas might seem to complicated or "not hip hop" but I think Dre could really change the game with a cinematic approach to the Detox. It would truly be a masterpiece if pulled off together. What do you guys think?

...Another thing I want to add is that even though songs may blend, the songs can be taken individually and still satisfy the listener. This creates an effect of being able to get into the CD at different levels - the casual approach where the typical fan just bumps the singles/skips around, and another level where someone could sit down and listen to the whole thing like watching a movie. Same thing goes for a good book...on the outside it could be a gripping action novel that someone reads to pass time, but underneath it could have endless layers you could analyze over and over again.

THAT IS TIGHT. .ONE GUY NAMED GRIMM DID THAT ON HIS CD THE BROWN RECLUSE. .ALL THE TRACKS EXCEPT FOR THE LAST 4 OR 5 WHICH WERE JUST EXTRA I GUESS. .GO TOGETHER. .THE FIRST 15 TRACKS ARE LIKE A DRUG DEALERS STORY FROM HOW HE STARTED TO WHEN SOME FOOL TRIED TO JACK AND KILL HIM TO HOW HE GOT HIM BACK. .
"BIRDS FLY UPSIDE DOWN OVER YOUR HEAD CAUSE YOU AINT WORTH SHITTING ON"

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 05:07:14 PM »
I expect what ive always expected banging shit! It's taken 7 fuckin years what else should we expect? 7 years in between albums, it better be damn near perfect!  8)

The Best of 3 Worlds

Spicemuthafuc*in1

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 05:29:16 PM »
I expect perfection! He did great on the Documentary and he did real good on the Big Bang

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 05:36:15 PM »
I expect nothing. I'm just hoping it's something a little different and of course, dope.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

LakersAlldaWay

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • SG Valley, CA
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 05:51:44 PM »
If what mellowman was saying earlier this year is true and Dr. Dre is considering orchestral soundscapes, I think that is the best way to go. While an orchestra is a big step up from an MPC, a keyboard, and a turntable (standard hip hop tools), in essence it is really taking that shit back to the roots. Where do you think all the hip hop we've gotten to know and love over the years got its roots? That's right, classical instruments. The horns, the snare, some of the samples, the realistic sounding strings that have been used in the this new millenium - all of that is derived from orchestra. So what Dre would really be doing is making a more vivid sound in hip hop by introducing an epic orchestral feel. Been Through The Storm on Busta's album had additional production from Dre...and his additions make the song. I read somewhere that he used a 16 piece orchestra to add onto the track Sha Money XL originally made. To me, the best parts of that beat is when the string sectiosn pop up in the verses and the chorus.

If they had some songs with live guitar (not just accents, but some shredding) that would be crazy.

It might seem pretentious, but having a tracknames that reflect the overall theme of the album would really add to things. I remember Knoc talking abour preliminary ideas of having each tracks as just "Step 1, Step 2," etc. That's probably taking things a bit too far, but something along those lines would be dope.

Maybe I'm just overanalyzing and overestimating how great this album will be lol, but I mean we've waited for almost 7 years now. If you think about it, hip hop has changed as much from 1999 to now as it changed from 1992 with The Chronic to 1999. To me the game has not evolved too much since that time. Hip hop needs a boost and I think this album could do it.

Sriram619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 05:52:42 PM »
I hope he  makes all style beats from the west coast piano beats to the how we do club beats, i hope he comes up with a new style but includes his old style to and hopefully the cd will bang hard

acgrundy

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 05:56:37 PM »
I expect perfection.  Anything less and I will be dissapointed.

Reventón Bogotá Rolla

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • High Roller
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 07:45:13 PM »
I expect something different than The Chronic and 2001...but I think Dre is really testing our patience with this. I don't think he's lazy, but to me it seems like he has way to many comitments to commit to with his other artists and it keeps making him push this project back.

2009 Kid CuDi - Man on the Moon: The Guardians

Darksider

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:07:34 PM »
i dont think dre will create a new style on detox...i hope he will do it but i doubt

Trauma-san

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 09:47:07 PM »
My expectations for Detox basically are for Dre to come out with some "whoa, what the fuck is this?" music like he did on his first two.  Even when 2001 came out, it was a sound nobody had heard before and was fresh and exciting.  The beats were nothing short of mindblowing, it wasn't just "Oh, man, this is nice" it was "Good fucking god did you just hear that?". 

Crip2Nite: South Central LA's HoOdSTAr

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:06:20 PM »
My expectations are set to the highest level possible....I expect nothing but heat & fire, from the intro, to the skits, to the outro and everything in between...The guest apperances, the lyrics, and quality all better warrant the long ass delay, waiting, and overated hype behind this 1 project...anything less is unacceptable

LOL...U Mad? Fag :laugh:
Fuck that fake ass crip Crip2nite.  Gets on my nerves how some people on these forums

teecee

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:13:36 PM »
Like Bow DOwn said, when 2001 came out, it was like DAMNNNN!  WHen i first herad Still Dre and FOrgot about Dre, you knew the album was on some next shit!  Nothing had ever sounded like Still Dre before, it was on another level and to me still one of the greatest beats ever........Dre hasn't touched that level since, althoug Outta control remix was pretty amazing