Author Topic: Kufi  (Read 307 times)

J Bananas

Kufi
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:08:23 AM »
A kufi is a short rounded cap, traditionally worn by Muslims, although within the US it has become more commonly identified with persons of African descent, who wear it to show pride in their history and their religion. Often made of kente cloth or crocheted in a variety of yarns, kufis were popular fashion items throughout hip hop culture during the late-1980s/early-1990s. Musical performers such as Marvin Gaye and Common have been noted for wearing kufis as part of their personal style.

Within Islam, it is considered part of sunnah and tradition that the companions of the Prophet Muhammad were never seen without their heads being covered. In order to emulate their actions, and thereby approach closer to being correct in their actions, Muslims throughout the world wear a variety of kufis, caps, and other headgear. Another goal of wearing a kufi is to be more like the prophet and therefore obey and follow his tradition. Kufis, therefore are not a modern invention within the US-based Muslim community, but a tradition from antiquity. In fact ancient Arabs had the habit of always wearing something on their heads. They considered it inappropriate not to wear headgear such as a turban.

ωεεźγ ғ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Kufi
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:16:05 AM »
I traded in my Kufi for a New Era

Sikotic™

Re: Kufi
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:14:49 AM »

Dipset
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

T-Storm