Author Topic: Player Watch = Stephen "Spliff" Hacker - Cam'ron and 50 Cent's Beat Supplier  (Read 150 times)

Word to Everything

At Diplomat Records Stephen "Spliff" Hacker earned his A&R stripes under Duke Da God, but the Miami-bred industry hustler has also put in advertising and marketing work at LRG Clothing projects. Hacker is also a founding member of Tapemasters Inc, and recently entered the beat peddling business with producer management firm Spliffington Management; making this 23-year-old former DJ a Player to Watch in 2006.

Born in London, England Stephen "Spliff" Hacker moved to Miami with his parents at age 9. Always passionate about music, Spliff got his first taste of the entertainment industry interacting with label reps as Deejaing at his University of Central Florida college radio show in Orlando.

"Being in touch with numerous record companies getting music for the show often put me in New York. I interned at Universal one summer and one thing led to another, rubbing elbows with different people. Sometimes after work I'd spend time at Roc-A-fella Records, where the Diplomats' offices were located; they saw different things I was trying to do and took me under their wing. It was just a mutual respect that we had. I'm fortunate how it happened," Spliff said.

After being asked to join the A&R department at Diplomat Records, Hacker eagerly accepted.

"I started out working for the Diplomats three years ago under VP of A&R, Duke Da God. I was his understudy, in the studio all the time. I enjoyed being on the creative side contributing to how the music was made. I don't rap, but if I could bring a producer to the table with some crazy beats I took pride in having a role in that music happening. After dealing with a lot of producers for the Diplomats, I decided it would be wise to take some of them under my wing and branch out further, so that's when I started Spliffington Management," Hacker recalled.

Founded last summer, Spliffington Management has seen a few changes in its roster since its inception, but when it comes to the four producer clients he currently represents, Freebass, Pro-V and Streetrunner from Miami and I.N.F.O. (acronym for I'll Never Fall Off) from Pittsburgh, Stephen is certain in their ability to make the same mark in pop, R&B and other genres that they have with Dipset artists.

"I'm extremely confident in my producers' talent and skill level. I believe they can take it to the next level and become super-producers. I would not hesitate to play my clients' tracks for Jay-Z or anyone of stature. Having a talented team behind me makes my confidence and determination that much stronger," Spliff told SOHH.

Though he and his business endeavors are still young, Spliff is already accomplishing impressive feats, gaining placements for his producers that include the Jim Jones ft. Trey Songz smash from last summer "Summer Wit Miami" as well as four tracks on Cam'ron's Killa Season, including the Jay-Z diss "You Gotta Love It" and "Get 'Em Daddy."

While Spliff continues his challenge to get to the top, he acknowledges that much of his struggle lies in the day to day.

"Staying on top of artists and A&R's is not as easy as it may seem. You have to play your cards right, being extremely persistent without being too pushy. It's like a chess game. Your moves have to be strategic. If you move certain pieces in the right direction, while keeping tab on your other pieces, you can win. Learn from your mistakes and always show respect," Spliff says.

For more information, you can reach out to Spliff at info@spliffingtonmanagement.com.

Stephen "Spliff" Hacker's Play-o-graphy

Projects

Production placement on projects for 50 Cent, Cam'ron, JR Writer, Fabolous, Trey Songz, Hell Rell, Lil' Wayne, Petey Pablo, Erykah Badu, Rakim and more.

Watchlist

FreeBass, I.N.F.O., Pro-V & STREETRUNNER - "The Spliffington Management producer roster, remember their names!"

Jonas Bevacqua & Robert Wright - The L-R-G Clothing Co. founders

Kevin Delaney, Albert Rosario & Woodie White- L-R-G Marketing trio

Bobby Creekwater - "New artist from Atlanta signed to Eminem's Shady Records, OutKast meets T.I."

The Alchemist- "Legendary producer and DJ for Eminem, new album coming soon."

Cristal- "17 year old pop diva from Miami signed to Atlantic Records."

Reggie Saunders - "BNCPR Marketing genius"

L-R-G Skate DVD- "Featuring the L-R-G Skate team on tour in Europe, directed by Coodie-N-Chike. Music exclusively produced by The Alchemist, Just Blaze & 9th Wonder."

Miss B - "Up and coming songwriter working with Spliffington Management."