Author Topic: anyone ever been to jamaica for vacation  (Read 78 times)

We Fly High

anyone ever been to jamaica for vacation
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:32:54 PM »
anyone ever been to jamaica for vacation. thinking about going. please share experiences, thanks.

hotel.. airfare.. transporation.. food... things to do... access to weed.. etc..

MANBEARPIG.

Re: anyone ever been to jamaica for vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 03:53:02 PM »
i went there last year for one day on a cruise, shits beautiful!  since I was ona a cruise the tour guide stressed that weed is illegal but she said it was out there, and people will come up and try and sell.  gas was expensive as fuck, like 8 bucks american.  Um...Jerk Chicken is better out there fa sho hahaam oh btw I went to Ocho Rios, didnt have a lot of time maybe like 6 or 7 hours there to explore after my tour, saw some beautiful shit out there tho. I would reccommend it,I want to go back in two years after I graduate.

-KIDRENEGADE-

jeromechickenbone

Re: anyone ever been to jamaica for vacation
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 04:17:43 PM »
I went there on my honeymoon a little over a year ago.  We stayed at the Sandals resort in Ocho Rios which was about a 2 hour bus ride from the airport in Montego Bay.  The drivers there are absolutely INSANE.  They haul ass and pass people when they can't see around corners and shit.  You'll notice people honking when they make blind turns - it's to alert oncoming traffic.

We stopped off at some "tourist" stops on the way to the resort.  Lots of dudes just chillin and trying to sell you stuff left and right.  Also, we drove through some EXTREMELY impoverished areas.  We'd see lots rusted out buckets on the roads, and peeps wearing old school clothes that was in style about 20 years ago in the states.

Those would be the only negatives I would say.  Everything else was amazing - a truly laid back way of life, beautiful music, white sand beaches, gorgeous blue water.  We went and climbed up this unbelievable waterfall (can't remember the name) but that was amazing as well.  Tourism is their #1 export (i think bauxite was #2), so obviously they were very hospitable.

We drove past a couple of Rasta camps, whom I believe are protected by law to smoke weed but supposedly only during their worship time in their "church" (or temple / place of worship - i don't know the proper term).  Needless to say, they go to church a lot. 8)

So, I can't give you a ton of insight to the country, as I was only really exposed to it while driving to / from the airport.  We pretty much stayed within the confines of our resort.  But I would def go back again.  Oh and I was personally never offered any smoke, but some other peeps that were on vacation said they were offered a couple times.  That was my biggest disappointment actually, cuz I really wanted to toke one up and go listen to some live reggae.