Author Topic: Text Winters speaks on Bynum, Cook, Farmar & more...  (Read 99 times)

GangstaBoogy

Text Winters speaks on Bynum, Cook, Farmar & more...
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:22:35 AM »
Bynum
“We all were in hopes that he would really arrive,” Winter explained.  However, after studying the tape, Winter offered the truth. The 7-1 Bynum had “a couple of really good games,” Winter said, but the 84-year-old guru came away with questions about Bynum’s intensity, his lack of “fire in the belly."

"His energy is a question,” Winter said.  Winter also raised questions about Bynum’s quickness, his reaction to the ball, to events on the floor.
Part of that lack of reaction time is due to his size, Winter said. “He seems to still be getting bigger. He is huge, but the bottom line, in my opinion, is that we can’t rush him.”  Because Bynum is so big, and a true center, his development is going to take longer, Winter predicted.

Farmar/Pinnock/Green
Winter said rookie first-round pick Jordan Farmar could possibly help. “He’s tough, but he’s still probably not ready. I also liked J.R. Pinnock. He could be some help as a reserve. He’s a keeper. He has enough talent.”  Winter also liked the play of Devin Green. Beyond that, though, he said there’s not much in the way of talent ready to help.

Expectations for 06-07
On the other hand, Winter said, a realist also has to look at last season and realize the Lakers exceeded expectations. “We could still wind up being a pretty good team this season,” he said. “It wouldn’t take a whole lot more for us to win 55 or 60 games. Actually it would take people continuing to get better like they did last year. You would hope we could duplicate last season and improve on that. But each year is a new situation.”

In other words, for the Lakers to have a good season, they’ll have to hope for very good fortune, because the talent level is good but not overwhelming.

It seems that the Lakers don't expect Odom to play the 1
• If the team can find guard help (if Jordan Farmar or one of the veterans can play well), the Bryant can move to the 3 and that frees up Lamar Odom to play more at the 4, or power forward. “I think Odom will end up playing quite a bit of 4 depending on who fills those guard spots,” Winter said.

Cook will be probably be cut loose next summer unless he improves
• As badly as the team needs players with experience in the triangle offense, it was time to cut loose Devean George. “He couldn’t develop the kind of consistency it takes to help us,” Winter said. “In his defense, he was hurt an awful lot and that hurt his efficiency. (Brian) Cook is another one in that situation. Can he show he’s more than just a shooter?”

Rush still a possibility
• The Lakers staff is divided on free agent Kareem Rush. Some want to sign him (likely Jackson and Winter), while others (assistant GM Ronnie Lester) don’t think Rush is the answer. “Some say he might help us a lot,” Winter said.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"