Poll

Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast, whether it's promoting new artists or producing for upcoming ones?

Yes, it definitely is!
7 (14%)
Not at all...he has already done more than 95% of the rap game
12 (24%)
It's not his responsibility, but it would help a lot
29 (58%)
It doesn't matter, he can't bring the west back on his own
2 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast?  (Read 643 times)

Narrator

Re: Is it Dre's responsibility to help the west coast?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2006, 07:04:58 AM »
Your argument is still flawed because you are using people from a message board as your examples. I can go to sohh.com right now and make the broad generalization that East Coasters are close minded, obsessed with the thug persona, and only want to hear about selling crack in the projects and thats why they listen to jay z, 50 Cent, Mobb Deep, benie segal and dipset. I can also draw the conclusion that East Coasters dont like concious rappers based on lackluster sales from Mos Def, Kweli and De La Soul's recent albums. One might also make the generalization that all East Coasters hate cali and are ignorant 15 year olds. But I'm smarter than that. You dont judge a whole coast by a couple haters and dickriders on the internet.

You can make that generalization about the East Coast, but it'd sound a lot more ridiculous than saying it about the West Coast.

And no, you can't look at Mos Def's or Kweli's sales figures and say that proves East Coast doesn't like conscious rap.  Some of those dudes (especially Mos Def) are on major labels and at least selling Gold; the East Coast thugs who are selling Plat are selling out-of-state to mainstream fans mostly.  Most of the conscious rappers from the West aren't really selling well to anyone on their own coast at all, but at the same time, the West Coast gangstas are being snatched up by their fans but NOT the mainstream.

The point is, it's a given on any coast that the gangsta rappers will be the ones selling the most records, yes.  But it's also pretty clear that West Coast fans are far less supportive of Cali's conscious artists than East Coast fans are of theirs.

I'm just curious, when and where did you live in Cali? And are you saying that your issue is not with the actual rappers, but the fans?

I lived in Pomona from the time I was 5 until I was about 17.

I think many of the West Coast gangstas deserve some criticism for making only minor changes to their styles and lyrical aesthetics compared to the East and South and Midwest, but I sympathize with them cause their fans are a bunch of closed-minded muthafuckas who want everything to sound like the Death Row/Ruthless days of the mid-90s.  And if they don't do what their fans want, chances are they'll be selling less than they already are.

If you intend to convince anyone you need to do more than just make vague statements about the rappers on the West with no facts or figures. I bet on any given day in Queens I can go find about 67 gansgsta/thug rappers out there on the same block probably per every 1 "concious" rapper. What does that mean? Nothin really, in any actual hood (not the suburbs or the internet) in America you are going to find that type of rapper in disproportionate amounts because thats what they know better than anything else.

But it's a higher rate of disproportion in the West, because of the obsession with gangbanging that is so obviously prevalent here.  And as I've said before, the fact that the conscious artists on the West Coast are obviously getting FAR less support than many of those in the East is proof that West Coast fans aren't listening to them as often as East Coast fans listen to theirs.

And what exactly do you mean "West Coast fans are the biggest hypocrites?" Are you actually going to sit there and pretend that NY rap fans do not bitch about the state of rap and then turn around and slap some Puff Daddy and Mase (or whatever bubble gum rapper who is playing that role at the minute)? As far as the Snoop and Pac wanna bes, are you actually going to try to convince us that every other NY rapper isnt a Jay Z, Nas or Mobb Deep wanna be?

Everybody likes some thuggish commercial shit here and there.  That's a given.  But most East Coast fans I've seen are as likely to listen to Talib or Boot Camp Clik as Jay-Z or Mobb Deep.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2006, 01:28:52 PM »
You can make that generalization about the East Coast, but it'd sound a lot more ridiculous than saying it about the West Coast.

To you, maybe. But thats my whole point. Any type of generalization like that is ridiculous.

And no, you can't look at Mos Def's or Kweli's sales figures and say that proves East Coast doesn't like conscious rap.  Some of those dudes (especially Mos Def) are on major labels and at least selling Gold

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but Mos hasnt been gold in about 7 years.

The point is, it's a given on any coast that the gangsta rappers will be the ones selling the most records, yes.  But it's also pretty clear that West Coast fans are far less supportive of Cali's conscious artists than East Coast fans are of theirs.

West Coast "concious" artists dont get any type of push from any labels, plus, the quality of their music usually just isnt that good. Being "concious" (i hate that term) does not make somebody tight.

I'm just curious, when and where did you live in Cali? And are you saying that your issue is not with the actual rappers, but the fans?

I think many of the West Coast gangstas deserve some criticism for making only minor changes to their styles and lyrical aesthetics compared to the East and South and Midwest, but I sympathize with them cause their fans are a bunch of closed-minded muthafuckas who want everything to sound like the Death Row/Ruthless days of the mid-90s.  And if they don't do what their fans want, chances are they'll be selling less than they already are.

Who is still putting out music that sounds like that?

But it's a higher rate of disproportion in the West, because of the obsession with gangbanging that is so obviously prevalent here.  And as I've said before, the fact that the conscious artists on the West Coast are obviously getting FAR less support than many of those in the East is proof that West Coast fans aren't listening to them as often as East Coast fans listen to theirs.

You keep saying that, but you are not backing it up with anything. Like I said its just a vague, sweeping generalization.

Everybody likes some thuggish commercial shit here and there.  That's a given.  But most East Coast fans I've seen are as likely to listen to Talib or Boot Camp Clik as Jay-Z or Mobb Deep.

Boot Camp is considered "concious" rappers now? lol

Shawn Nutt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2006, 02:22:52 PM »
holy FUCK u guys argue a lot, lol... i cant even read it theres so much

btw, Narrator, are u the guy mentioned on the DubCNN news page? whos working with RBX? :laugh: