Author Topic: Stephon Marbury promoted Affordable Sneakers...  (Read 288 times)

PLANT

Stephon Marbury promoted Affordable Sneakers...
« on: August 16, 2006, 07:30:16 PM »
The $15 Mar-vels

Knick undercuts pricey Jordans

By ERIC SHAFFER and RICH SCHAPIRO
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

Stephon Marbury, seen hitting stride for Knicks, has pledged to wear his own Starbury Ones. 

Starbury Ones will go on sale for just $15 tomorrow. 

Move over, Air Jordans.
Knicks star Stephon Marbury is putting his name behind a pair of $15 basketball shoes that he's hoping will give underprivileged kids the chance to wear sneaks fit for the pros.

The black high tops drew rave reviews yesterday from the critics who matter most - young hoopsters.

"They're comfortable," said Mylique Owens, 13, a seventh-grader from midtown, after he tried on a pair of the sleek kicks at the famed basketball court on W. Fourth St. yesterday.

Owens couldn't believe his ears when told the price of the lightweight sneakers.

"Fifteen? Not 5-0? 1-5?" he asked, incredulously. "This shoe could easily go for $70 to a $100."

The groundbreaking sneaker, the Starbury One, is Marbury's attempt at combating the trend toward astonishingly high-priced basketball shoes.

Air Jordans, the sneakers that revolutionized the industry, now go for as much as $180.

The Starbury Ones are far less expensive than even the second-tier Jordans.

"I paid $130 for these Air Jordans that I bought four months ago," said Lenart Williams, a 20-year-old from Harlem. "To get them for $15 from Marbury, I think these shoes are fly."

The sneakers, which will be sold only at Steve & Barry's sports apparel stores, will go on sale tomorrow.

Produced in China, the shoes are constructed using the same materials as the other top-end basketball sneakers on the market, said Howard Schacter, chief partnership officer for Steve & Barry's.

"[Marbury] had a vision. We had an expertise. And together it became a match made in heaven," Schacter said.

Marbury has vowed to wear the shoes he's hoping will enable disadvantaged kids to feel like stars.

The mercurial guard's benevolent intentions were not lost on the young players assembled at the W. Fourth St. court yesterday.

"I feel him for doing something like this," said Mamadou Harvey, 18, of the lower East Side. "Not everyone can afford $80 or $90 shoes."

here is the shoe guys, what do ya think/.?

PLANT

Re: Stephon Marbury promoted Affordable Sneakers...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2006, 07:31:01 PM »
its a really good idea what hes doing, BUT........the shoes look like crap!

I dont think I would get them even if they were on sale for $9.99

rik

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2006, 07:35:33 PM »

really though.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2006, 07:35:41 PM »

LMAO...It's nothing new really, Shaq and Hakeem have done this typa' shit in the past with Payless...PeACe

herpes

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 08:33:17 PM »

LMAO...It's nothing new really, Shaq and Hakeem have done this typa' shit in the past with Payless...PeACe
cept it looks better then the shaq and hakeems.  Hakeems was horrible and anyone that rocked them back in the day got clowned on lol.

ecrazy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 09:04:52 PM »

cept it looks better then the shaq and hakeems.  Hakeems was horrible and anyone that rocked them back in the day got clowned on lol.
LOL, the Hakeems were the team shoe back in middle school

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 09:11:44 PM »
Eh......thing is, whenever athletes do this, it is a good idea....but it will NEVER work....

The reason that kids all rush to stores and compliment each other is because Jordans are exclusive and cost a lot. You can EASILY put a $25 $15 dollar price tag on some Jordans, and watch them sell a LOT LESS than they do at $150. It doesn't even matter how dope shoes are....Jordan has the name that no other player will have for a while....and even the poorest kids in the hood will clown somebody for having on Payless level shoes. And that's a terrible thing....but that's how it goes...

And damn, these shoes here are pretty weak...

PLANT

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 03:44:21 AM »
does anyone remember seeing the "hakeem" footprint along the ground in walmart?  back in the day they used to have his footprints around the store and if you followed them it would lead you to his sneakers....that shit was classic

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 10:04:52 AM »
does anyone remember seeing the "hakeem" footprint along the ground in walmart?  back in the day they used to have his footprints around the store and if you followed them it would lead you to his sneakers....that shit was classic

LMAO...Can't say I do...

TuSlic

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 12:30:55 PM »

lmao thats what those were for?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:02 PM »
i don't remember that

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

PLANT

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

lmao thats what those were for?
they were for the hakeem olajuwon spaldings.....they had that shit at walmart here in canada anyway.