Author Topic: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop  (Read 1067 times)

Diabolical

Re: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 11:31:38 AM »
I remember when I was just getting into Hip-Hop, when a rapper was mentioned, or played I'd always smile that they were getting attention because it was nowhere then a few years later it was everywhere. They even use Rap to advertise Broadsheet newspapers.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 11:38:39 AM »
For me it started out with Dre and Snoop, 2001 and Doggystyle.  I heard Common for the first time on the weekend of September 11th when MTV played videos all weekend and The Light came on.  I asked my brother if he had the CD and I copped it from him.  From then I expanded away from the mainstream bullshit.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2006, 02:21:27 PM »
These kids I know around 14 and 15 years old are always rapping songs on the radio like Young Joc, or E-40's new stuff, Franchise Boys, stuff like that.  So anyway, I wanted to try and expose them to some of what I consider to be real hip-hop.  Because to me, real hip-hop involves great lyrics, so I wanted to play them something really lyrical.  I decided to pull out a concept song.

I played Common's "I Used To Love Her" track.  It failed to have any impact on them.  They thought the song was about a woman, and by the time Common indicates to the listener that the woman is a metaphor for hip-hop their short, abbrievated tension spans had long forgotten the song was even playing.  I had to later explain to them what the song was talking about, which took the piss out of the whole thing.

I think it went way over their heads, I think these kids only understand basic lyrics about money or sex, two of the most basic desires.

Well, guess what? Not everybody cares about "real hip hop." Just because the hip hop they like isnt the kind of hip hop you like doesnt mean the shit they like is not "real hip hop." Hip hop is hip hop. We just need to come to grips with the fact that hip hop as we knew it growing up is not hip hop as it is today, and yesterday is not coming back. Besides, people are not gonna pay you no mind when you're telling them "Hey, you listen to bullshit. Listen to what I listen to." People dont respond well to that type of thing.

teecee

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2006, 02:42:12 PM »
The term "real hiphip" is kinda wack, really.  These kids will expand their listening if they are really down with hiphop, if not, who cares, they will find some other genre.   Even thought some of the artists these kids listened to are wack, it's understandable how its catchy.  Besides, hiphop was created as a party music, not necessarily some shit to educate.  Some people don't need to LEARN when they are listening to music, they just wanna have a good time.

Myself, i really got into hiphop with DOggystyle in Grade 8, but eventually i started listening to a lot of old school stuff, checking out all the classics, PE, Rakim, etc.  Basically, don't force anything on these kids, they'll figure it out if they want.

For the kids nowadays, Pac is the best way.  Kids worship Pac to this day, and his music is a good start cuz it goes from gangster to conscious, so tehy get some of both, and the music is still commerically viable.  If you want to start them on some Nas, start with some of his more catchy songs, like Message, If I Ruled, One Mic, etc .  Masta Ace, go with some INC Ride, Cube go with Lethal Injection, and then from there if they want kids will look into Illmatic, Amerika's Nightmare, Disposable arts.  But to go straight from Dem Franchise BOys or Camron to "real hiphop" is kinda tough

macknlatin36

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 03:20:06 PM »
These kids I know around 14 and 15 years old are always rapping songs on the radio like Young Joc, or E-40's new stuff, Franchise Boys, stuff like that.  So anyway, I wanted to try and expose them to some of what I consider to be real hip-hop.  Because to me, real hip-hop involves great lyrics, so I wanted to play them something really lyrical.  I decided to pull out a concept song.

I played Common's "I Used To Love Her" track.  It failed to have any impact on them.  They thought the song was about a woman, and by the time Common indicates to the listener that the woman is a metaphor for hip-hop their short, abbrievated tension spans had long forgotten the song was even playing.  I had to later explain to them what the song was talking about, which took the piss out of the whole thing.

I think it went way over their heads, I think these kids only understand basic lyrics about money or sex, two of the most basic desires.

To me it seems that if they were into that "mainstream vibe" you cant go from something with simple lyrics to something really deep like common.  Kinda like learnin to stand before u crawl, they just started and not yet ready for deep lirycal meanning.  If u wanna help just try to spark the interest, not enforce it.  Cuz in the end they choose what they wanna hear.

When i was like in 4th-5th grade all i could do was record songs on tape from the radio beacuse of cost of cds (and the parents :P).  SO all i knew about rap was wateva the radio played (coolio, ll cool j, etc).  Then i heard my cousins wu-tang tape (enter the wu) and it just sounded different from what i was use to (from the radio) and it just sparked real interest.  She gave it to me as a gift along with odb's "return of the 36 chambers" and ever since then ive been a "real" hip hop fan just cuz i was able to see what else is out there and not just bump wateva the radio plays.

Alot of people have proven that everyone finds "true" hip hop in their own ways. So inorder to help with their direction simply just play what u llike when u around them but dont bother explaing it unless they ask because at that age they already hate school,IMO.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2006, 03:45:44 PM »
You just gotta know your audience man.  When I introduce Hip Hop to peeps, I'm consciously thinking on how I can play to their ear.  From production style, rap style, tempo, subject matter, it's all crucial to know who you're dealing with.  For instance, my pops is 55 years old.  If I want to show him why I think Tupac was a dope artist, I'm not gonna bust out Hit Em Up.  I'm gonna give him something less edgy, and something that he can hear harmonies / melodies and sing / hum along too.  A song like "Skandalouz" - a nice, laid back, jazz / funk song with a great hook.  That's something he can relate to, because those elements are prevalent in the style of music he listens too.

If I'm dealing with a 14 year old that thinks 50 cent is God's gift to hip hop, then I might play Hit Em Up.  Let them hear the raw emotion / gun talk  / disses.  That song would probably blow their mind.

So, I hear you about peeps not knowing and apparently not caring about some of the classics.  But I think they can be shown the light if done the correct way.  I've introduced countless people to Hip Hop that would have never picked it up on their own.

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2006, 04:09:11 PM »

I was exposing him to some Nas' Illmatic, old skool Cube, Kam,

LMALOAMLAMAL @ you putting cam in the same group as Illmatic and old school cube
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 04:15:50 PM »

LMALOAMLAMAL @ you putting cam in the same group as Illmatic and old school cube

I think he was talking about KAM, not CAM.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »
I Remember My Brother Putting Me Up On Some West Coast Shit Early On. Like Rodney O, CMW, Dj Quik, Shit Like That. I Owe Him Big Time.
My Future Wife:

Bramsterdam (see ya)

• UG HipHop Head
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2006, 05:06:16 PM »
I was listenin to dr. dre and snoop dogg for like 4 years maybe and lots of gangster shit but then this guy who used to post here told me about some underground stuff, after that, Ive been listenin to it ever since, so Ive got him to thank really.. haha havnt hardly touched any of my mainstream/gangster albums for looong time now either..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 05:08:50 PM by Bramsterdam »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »

Please take a frying pan and bash your brains in...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 06:07:40 PM by Now_I_Know »

Diabolical

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 05:57:43 PM »

I think he was talking about KAM, not CAM.

Me too. And even so all Sikotic said was that he let him hear them not that he let him hear 'the reatest rappers ever' or whatever.

BizzyR.I.P.

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2006, 06:08:04 PM »
LMAO if you don't know the difference between Kam and Cam don't ever enter a Forum dedicated to westcoast rap.

J Bananas

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2006, 07:59:14 PM »
Times Change Niggas, Aren't You Tired Of Older Cats Telling You Rap Music Isn't Music? Shit's Just Evolving. Which For Muslims Like Bryan, Is  A Threat To Their Way Of Life

Sikotic™

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 03:28:11 AM »

Looks like jokes on you, clown. I'm not your resident wanna-be blood or cuzzo on this forum. When I use a "C", I mean a "C". When I use a "K", I mean a "K".

Kam as in Brother Kam from Watts, ya okie doke muthafucka, not Cam as in Cam'ron from Harlem. Catch up on ya Sesame Street, son.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE