Author Topic: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop  (Read 1068 times)

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
Re: My failed attempt to expose some young rap fans to real hip-hop
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 06:17:51 AM »
The shit they play on the radio man is horrible. I don't see how any of it even gets airtime.  The only reason they get spins is because they forcefeed you shit. Record company pays clear channel to play that shit because they want to market their artist. there is no talent involed its all $$$$

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 07:11:19 AM »
don't get your pussies wet over this

so I thought he was talking about cam instead of Kam because he has dip all over his sig

but now we talking about Kam, what I said still holds

SMH @ anyone thinking he was on Nas and Cube's level
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 08:28:24 AM »
I just finished Dave Chappelle's Block Party (for the 200th time)...  "TURN OFF THE RADIO... TURN OFF THAT BULLSHIT"!!!!!!!!
All these guy are so talented lyricly wise and musicly wise... It's a shame they don't get that much recognition from the mainstream...

IMO this is the REAL hip-hop...
All the other "rappers" who have nothing to say better than "Shoulder Lean" and "Right Turrrr" and "Get Low", should be classified as "hip-pop"!!!!!!
The Canadian Polish

D-e-f-

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 09:09:04 AM »
I just finished Dave Chappelle's Block Party (for the 200th time)...  "TURN OFF THE RADIO... TURN OFF THAT BULLSHIT"!!!!!!!!
All these guy are so talented lyricly wise and musicly wise... It's a shame they don't get that much recognition from the mainstream...

IMO this is the REAL hip-hop...
All the other "rappers" who have nothing to say better than "Shoulder Lean" and "Right Turrrr" and "Get Low", should be classified as "hip-pop"!!!!!!

word ...

DCs block party was so much FUN (ACTUAL FUN!) to watch end seeing all these great emcees and vocalists and musicians together HAVING FUN without having a mean expression on their face or talking bullshit ... THAT IS HIPHOP ...

watch that and BROWN SUGAR ...

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 01:47:59 PM »
you got to understand one thing

they are kids still , that's the main underlining italisized fact. KIDS

when i was a kid i use to listen to everything my dad listend to, but i didn't really appreciate it, but what really got my hair to rise on the back of my neck was MC Hammer , 2 Legit 2 quit, The Ninja Rap by Vanilla Ice and some Ninja Turtles Live tape i got from pizza hut. i bumped that shit 3 million and a half times a day. Then i started liking gangster rap (all the shit we talk about here) it opened my eyes to the reality of what was happening just right outside of my door , and i grew because i knew my environment better. then when i was about 12-13 years old i discovered (or really rediscovered) Metal music , Metallica became like God to me and i was blown away with their technical abilities....i grew away from the basic sounds of hip hop . Now i can sit here and listen to Toccata and Fugue in D minor and enjoy it

you see it's all about growth from a kid to a man. Hip Hop in my eyes will always be a genre mainly for people in their teens and early to mid 20's . yes there will be people older who listen to this and such but mainly it's going to be people stuck in that  young mindset OR people following artists who CAN grow in their music as well.

most hip hop is disposable anyways ......kids today will look back in 5 years and laugh at what they USE to listen to . I do , and everyone of my friends do, and everyone i've ever known in my life do. Yes there will be songs that will be remembered. you play stairway to heaven today it's just as big as it was in 72' . just like there are Pac songs that were made in 95' that are still played today. But the point here is Most of this music is meant to have a short shelf life, it's meant to be played for 3 months in a club so people like SGV can get that quick fix of euphoria. It's only until you grow in your mindset to you learn to appreciate better music. 

heres another example:

how many of us here use to watch Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, Power Rangers, and Ninja Turtles? Back in the Day those stories were FUCKING INTENSE and DRAMATIC HUH? IF mom or dad put on the godfather....we'd be bored as fuck and crash the hell out wouldn't we? But that's when we had  child's mindset . Now ....most of us can sit there and enjoy 3 hours of the Godfather, Citizen kane, ect. IT's growth

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Narrator

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 02:06:51 PM »
Shit I started off with shit like Young MC and MC Hammer back in the day, then I gravitated towards Public Enemy and it was all over after that.

The difference between now and back then is that the mainstream stuff is so easily accessible. Back then, there were maybe 4 or 5 rap songs that were played on the radio at any given time period, so if you wanted to hear more, you had to search for it. Nowadays, mainstream rap is so huge and diluted that it's everywhere. There's no need for kids to dig deeper to find the real shit.

That's really how I see it.  I started out with Run-DMC, LL Cool J, Fat Boys, Newcleus, etc...all of whom were looked upon as "hip-pop".  It was only later that I started getting into Boogie Down Productions, Public Enemy, Ice-T, N.W.A., and all of the hardcore/gangsta rappers of the late-80s.  Of course, once I did that, I started acting like I'd never listened to the hip-pop of my earlier years and bashed Young MC, Hammer, Vanilla Ice, etc. cause that's what was trendy to do.

As far as I'm concerned, though, what's changed is that (1.) Hip-hop is more accessible than ever and (2.) There's far more thug posturing in the mainstream and underground alike.  Anyone who says shit like, "Hip-hop today" sucks obviously wasn't around for all the shit that came out in the 80s and 90s.  It will always be ironic to me that on DubCC, nobody appreciates that G-Funk was considered a "pop" rap sound in the mid-90s, and if you were doing G-Funk, you were automatically respected less.

Narrator

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 02:10:33 PM »
These kids I know around 14 and 15 years old are always rapping songs on the radio like Young Joc, or E-40's new stuff, Franchise Boys, stuff like that.  So anyway, I wanted to try and expose them to some of what I consider to be real hip-hop.  Because to me, real hip-hop involves great lyrics, so I wanted to play them something really lyrical.  I decided to pull out a concept song.

I played Common's "I Used To Love Her" track.  It failed to have any impact on them.  They thought the song was about a woman, and by the time Common indicates to the listener that the woman is a metaphor for hip-hop their short, abbrievated tension spans had long forgotten the song was even playing.  I had to later explain to them what the song was talking about, which took the piss out of the whole thing.

I think it went way over their heads, I think these kids only understand basic lyrics about money or sex, two of the most basic desires.

First of all, I bet you're lying.  You've lied before.

Second, I work on a college campus.  Many white kids I see are listening as much to "conscious" stuff as the thug stuff.  This whole "backpacker" movement is the same as the thug-pop shit...an attempt to make hip-hop palatable to white suburban kids.

Third, many rappers you've praised (most recently, Crucial Conflict) rap only about money, sex, and violence...that makes you a hypocrite.

Fourth, I have told you before that converting to Islam and being an apologist to Farrakhan will not earn you any special respect.  You are still white, and when Judgment Day comes, you will still have to perish along with the other white devils.  You are inherently devilish and cannot be reformed.

Sikotic™

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 03:24:10 PM »

Well, I agree with you. I never said Kam was on Nas and Cube's level. That wasn't the point of this thread. Those just happened to be 3 of the artist's I was exposing to my brother at the time.

It's like you didn't even read what I said. You saw my avitar, sig, the word "Kam", and busted a nut all over your monitor. But, hey, keep hatin', it only makes you look like an idiot.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Diabolical

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 05:25:50 PM »

Well, I agree with you. I never said Kam was on Nas and Cube's level. That wasn't the point of this thread. Those just happened to be 3 of the artist's I was exposing to my brother at the time.

It's like you didn't even read what I said. You saw my avitar, sig, the word "Kam", and busted a nut all over your monitor. But, hey, keep hatin', it only makes you look like an idiot.

haha at "busted a nut all over your monitor."