Author Topic: Amnesty International accuses Israel of war crimes in Lebanon  (Read 150 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
Amnesty International accuses Israel of war crimes in Lebanon
« on: August 23, 2006, 11:13:45 PM »
Amnesty International has accused Israel of war crimes in Lebanon, including indiscriminate and disproportionate attacks and the intentional destruction of civilian infrastructure.

"Israel;s assertion that the attacks on the infrastructure were lawful is manifestly wrong. ... The evidence strongly suggests that the extensive destruction of power and water plants, as well as the transport infrastructure vital for food and other humanitarian relief, was deliberate and an integral part of a military strategy," said Amnesty's executive deputy secretary-general, Kate Gilmore.

The London-based human rights organization issued a report Wednesday saying both Israel and its Lebanon-based foe, the militant group Hezbollah, have repeatedly committed grave violations of international humanitarian law over many years of conflict.

As in the past, the Israeli government rejected Amnesty's charges.

The report focuses on Israel's latest air and ground campaign in Lebanon, a bid to crush Hezbollah and halt its practice of firing rockets into Israel.

"The widespread destruction of apartments, houses, electricity and water services, roads, bridges, factories and ports, in addition to several statements by Israeli officials, suggests a policy of punishing both the Lebanese government and the civilian population in an effort to get them to turn against Hezbollah," the report said.

"Israeli attacks did not diminish, nor did their pattern appear to change, even when it became clear that the victims of the bombardment were predominantly civilians, which was the case from the first days of the conflict."

In her statement, Gilmore dismissed the idea that Israel targeted Hezbollah positions and support facilities and that other damage to infrastructure was a result of the group using civilians as human shields.

"The pattern, scope and scale of the attacks makes Israel's claim that this was 'collateral damage' simply not credible,” she said.

Israeli foreign ministry spokesman Mark Regev said his country acted legally.

"Israel's actions in Lebanon were in accordance with recognized norms of behaviour during conflicts and with relevant international law," he said. "Unlike Hezbollah, we did not deliberately target the Lebanese civilian population."

Regev said that Lebanese infrastructure was "targeted only when that infrastructure was being exploited by the Hezbollah machine, and this is in accordance with the rules of war."

Israel began attacking targets in southern Lebanon after Hezbollah guerrillas operating there killed three Israeli soldiers and captured two in a cross-border raid July 12. The fighting, which included a rain of Hezbollah rockets on Israel, continued until a United Nations-brokered ceasefire on Aug. 14.

The UN children's fund, UNICEF, estimates that some 1,183 people died in Lebanon, mostly civilians and about a third of them children.

With files from the Associated Press

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/23082006/3/world-amnesty-international-accuses-israel-war-crimes-lebanon.html

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
Re: Amnesty International accuses Israel of war crimes in Lebanon
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 11:48:13 PM »

Amnesty International accuses Israel of war crimes in Lebanon

So what else is new man?
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 11:52:04 PM »

of course israel does not consistently commit war crimes, as is documented for decades.

it is of course, part of a bigger plot, by human rights organizations, the new cartel running the world, headed by the RINGLEADER amnesty, to defame the character of the jewish state by churning out palestinian propoganda as fact

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

I TO DA GEEZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Humankind will thrive on compassion
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 11:58:46 PM »
U got it.
We are all human beings isn't that a good enough reason for peace?