Author Topic: What song did it for you?  (Read 607 times)

Jakubs

Re: What song did it for you?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2006, 11:09:28 PM »
I don't know how hip hop they are, but the first songs I remember hearing that were brand new to me were "Rumpshaker" by WRECKX-N-Effect and "Informer" by Snow. When I was younger my aunt, who watched me everyday after school, always listened to the soft rock station so I heard a lot of stuff like Phil Collins/Genesis, Richard Marx, etc. My mom grew up on country music and I lived in a rural area outside of Sacramento from ages 9-12, so that was what I heard the most of, especially artists like Garth Brooks, Brooks & Dunn and John Michael Montgomery. My dad was the complete opposite. He was raised in Chicago and loved blues and classic rock. He was always listening to The Beatles, The Doors, etc. So I pretty much grew up listening to everything but hip hop, until around 4th grade. That was around '92-'93, right around the time The Chronic dropped. I remember hearing "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang," still one of my favorites, and a few years later I heard "Gin And Juice" and finally "Crossroad." I wasn't aloud to listen to rap until I was in junior high, which would've been '95-'96. Since then it has been my favorite genre of music. I still listen to everything that I was raised on, but hip hop has easily become my favorite music. I guess it's a perfect example of wanting to do, or in this case listen, to something that you're told you can't. So, thanks mom and dad for turning me onto rap.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 11:11:31 PM by bdjac »
AKA: bdjac, Da Bears, Fonksta, Return Of Da Bears, Da Supa Bears, Da Bulls, Jake

suckaa free

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 11:20:03 PM »
deep cover, 3rd grade, wasnt aloud to watch mtv but sneaked a peek while my parents were at work, saw the video, it was on like donkey kong ever since

exact same story with me, but i think $hort really got me going.
too $hort

Life is...

Cusswords was the shit!

kriss kross - jump

Fuck JD.

J Bananas

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2006, 11:24:52 PM »
alright guys what i said above was a lie, ive really only been listening to hip hop for a year, fuckin ever since i heard laffy taffy, i knew i was down with the hood

suckaa free

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »
alright guys what i said above was a lie, ive really only been listening to hip hop for a year, fuckin ever since i heard laffy taffy, i knew i was down with the hood

i hope you are telling another joke, because that shit is funny as hell.   :laugh:

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 11:55:59 PM »
Damn, I Can't Even Remember. I Remember Growin Up With Shit Like Rodney O & Joe Cooley, Geto Boys, Dj Magic Mike, South Central Cartel, Whodini, Shit Like That. But For Some Reason, I Clearly Remember Rolling With My Brother In His Car Bumping "Posse On Broadway" .
My Future Wife:

WestCoasta

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2006, 01:02:52 AM »
I liked rap music for a couple years before, but I was younger and didn't know anything about it

then I heard "Smooth" on Dogg Food and after that I began searching for more

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2006, 01:05:49 AM »
I liked rap music for a couple years before, but I was younger and didn't know anything about it

then I heard "Smooth" on Dogg Food and after that I began searching for more

Man that song is sooo incredible.  Kurupt is fuckin great in his verse, Pac never sounded as tight as Kurupt did in that verse.

reguLAtor

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2006, 01:11:57 AM »
Damn youngsters.... i got hooked with"dream team is in the house... you be illin...basketball"...  What ya'll kow about that shit?   Goddamn I'm old!!!   When I was finally old enough to drive, I had a Dodge Dakota that ran like shit, but u know it had some slump.  Music to Driveby... In a Major Way... N Gatz we Truss... Murder he Wrote... The chronic... opened up a whole new world for me.  11 at night or 7 in the mornin I was bumpin that shit on the daily.  ahhh.. to be young again.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 01:28:34 AM »
Probably the first song I heard that really made me want to find more was Warren G - Regulate, that was so dope, and then my mate's brother lent me that Coolio - It Takes A Thief album, and that just had me hooked (I think I still got my tape copy around somewhere). I then pretty much went through all the west coast stuff I could get my hands on (because this was before I had internet access this was mainly through word of mouth or buying albums from people who had dope features on other albums I had), reaching 2 Pac who I was really into for a while. I then picked up Notorious BIG - Ready 2 Die to see what the fuss was all about and loved it, which then got me into the east coast scene, Gangstarr (and then anything else Premier produced), Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Bootcamp Click, Nas, etc. When I finally got proper internet access at home it then all just took off for me as I found out about all these other classic west coast albums I'd never heard (through this site), and loads of other albums I should own.

The Watcher

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 01:30:26 AM »
straight outta compton
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

ecrazy

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 02:58:32 AM »
Souls Of Mischief - 93 til infinity
Then I jacked my sisters Tape single of Masta Aces - INC Ride
This was all around the 3rd Grade.....Oh and i cant forget
Tag Team - Whoop! There it is! <---CLASSIC! "CAN YOU DIG IT"

Diabolical

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2006, 06:17:53 AM »
Its like that - Run DMC

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2006, 06:32:16 AM »
i first got into rap because my big bro bought 2001 and marshall mathers lp
i started to listsen to whatever music my big brother bought, fx xzibit.. it was alot of westcoast i think
so for some time i wasnt that much into hiphop i was just listening to what my brother had
but what really made me get more into hiphop was actually Get Rich Or Die Tring.. when that came out i was all crazy about G-Unit.. and that got me into checking for more rap music and i started getting more in to it and getting on forums online..
it was "Masta Ace - Take A Walk" that made me take the step into what i would call "Real Hip-Hop", and that is only about 2 years ago.. from that time on i just started moving more and more away from the mainstream. And i'm glad i did..

so hurray for 50 cent.. without him i might not even be here hehe

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2006, 07:04:30 AM »
I used to listen to Cypress Hill's "IV" at my friends house a lot, I didn't really care about it but it was listenable.....but when I heard cypress hill's "rap superstar", I was like "woah!!, great song!!" .....then I started to get into more rap....another one that was huge too was de la soul's "ooh"  8)

Suga Foot

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2006, 08:31:16 AM »
I started really gettin into music when I was about 10, in 1993 so it was a combination of songs like:

Kriss Kross "Jump"
Tag Team "Whoomp There it is"
Salt N Pepa "Shoop"
Snoop "What's My Name"

and  seeing Dre's "Nothin But a G Thang" video too