Author Topic: The WACK emcees!!!  (Read 1147 times)

Patrick Bateman

• Lil Geezy
Re: The WACK emcees!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 06:52:48 PM »

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 08:21:47 PM »
And Bone Thugs always got respect. Bizzy & Krazyie were some of the top lyricsts of there genre.

You kidding me?  Ten years ago, cats used to talk about Bone the same way y'all talk about Nelly or Yung Joc or anyone in G-Unit.  They got some love in the West cause they were down with Eazy and cause most of their production was G-Funk, but just about everywhere else, they were considered the epitome of everything wrong with hip-hop, the commercial pop-thugs of the moment that everyone loved to hate.  I remember when I used to post on Steve "Flash" Juon's site (one of the first online hip-hop message boards, BTW), cats would trip off on me cause I said I liked Bone when they were all bumpin Digable Planets and De La Soul and their old PE tapes.  If you said you liked Bone back then, you usually had to justify it by saying, "Ah, they're a guilty pleasure", not that you respected them as artists who had their own unique style.  Niggas would look at you like you was fuckin crazy if you said that.

So no, Bone almost never got respect back in the day.  I never would've figured that a decade later, everybody would be talking about "E 1999 Eternal" in the same breath as "Doggystyle" or "Ready To Die" as one of the best hip-hop albums of the 90s.  It just goes to show you how everyone's always looking for rappers to scapegoat for the state of hip-hop, when the truth is that that's been going on since forever.

And BTW, I would hardly call either Bizzy or Krayzie "top lyricists".  They did show some growth on their solo albums (especially Krayzie's "Thug On Da Line" record), but Bone was always far more about style than substance.  They did what they did really well, but don't get it twisted - none of them niggas can be called "lyricists" by any stretch of imagination.

You are right about bone not getting much respect outside of Cali and among their cult following but come on, Bizzie and Layzie did have lyrics.

My wack trio:

Hurricane G
2006 Kurupt
Gerardo (anyone remember that guy? That rico suave fool, he was terrible)
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

youngmessnucca

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 09:42:57 PM »
And Bone Thugs always got respect. Bizzy & Krazyie were some of the top lyricsts of there genre.

You kidding me?  Ten years ago, cats used to talk about Bone the same way y'all talk about Nelly or Yung Joc or anyone in G-Unit.  They got some love in the West cause they were down with Eazy and cause most of their production was G-Funk, but just about everywhere else, they were considered the epitome of everything wrong with hip-hop, the commercial pop-thugs of the moment that everyone loved to hate.  I remember when I used to post on Steve "Flash" Juon's site (one of the first online hip-hop message boards, BTW), cats would trip off on me cause I said I liked Bone when they were all bumpin Digable Planets and De La Soul and their old PE tapes.  If you said you liked Bone back then, you usually had to justify it by saying, "Ah, they're a guilty pleasure", not that you respected them as artists who had their own unique style.  Niggas would look at you like you was fuckin crazy if you said that.

So no, Bone almost never got respect back in the day.  I never would've figured that a decade later, everybody would be talking about "E 1999 Eternal" in the same breath as "Doggystyle" or "Ready To Die" as one of the best hip-hop albums of the 90s.  It just goes to show you how everyone's always looking for rappers to scapegoat for the state of hip-hop, when the truth is that that's been going on since forever.

And BTW, I would hardly call either Bizzy or Krayzie "top lyricists".  They did show some growth on their solo albums (especially Krayzie's "Thug On Da Line" record), but Bone was always far more about style than substance.  They did what they did really well, but don't get it twisted - none of them niggas can be called "lyricists" by any stretch of imagination.

You must be catching what they are saying. Shit, even in one of the most biased magazines ( The Source ), had there 100th issue with 100 greatest albums of all time. This was in like 97' or 98' and both Creepin on a Come up & East 1999 are up there. Of course people who listen to Digable Planets & De La werent gonna feel Bone. The fuck are you thinkin? Thats like tryning to put someone who listens to The Game, Riock Ross, etc on to Murs or Keak da Sneak or something like that. Bone was plenty respected, you just had your head up your ass.

J Bananas

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 09:52:08 PM »

wow doggie u mad? that sure was a lot of effort just to tell us your two cent OPINION

smp4life

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
Creepin' on a Come up was dope, then they went too commercial, IMO.

J Bananas

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2006, 10:13:10 PM »

whatd you think about eternal? to me it had pretty much the same raw vibe of creepin just longer.

youngmessnucca

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2006, 10:13:34 PM »

I dont get how East 1999 is a commercial album at all? The main, and pretty much only topics of that album were: smoking weed, killing people, selling drugs, killing cops & money over hardcore beats. What is commercial about that. Also remeber, the more well-know version of the Crossroads came out on a re-print of the album I guess about a year after it's inital release.

Narrator

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »
You must be catching what they are saying. Shit, even in one of the most biased magazines ( The Source ), had there 100th issue with 100 greatest albums of all time. This was in like 97' or 98' and both Creepin on a Come up & East 1999 are up there. Of course people who listen to Digable Planets & De La werent gonna feel Bone. The fuck are you thinkin? Thats like tryning to put someone who listens to The Game, Riock Ross, etc on to Murs or Keak da Sneak or something like that. Bone was plenty respected, you just had your head up your ass.

I had my head up my ass?  Son, how old were you in '95?  Was your little ass even listening to ANY hip-hop back then?  Juronimo is the same age I am, and he backs me up on this.  Respect your elders' wisdom.

You cite The Source as proof?  The Source were often being accused of catering too much to the mainstream even back in '98, so it doesn't surprise me if "E 1999 Eternal" was praised by them.  But heads were most definitely different - I remember plenty of fan polls on Flash's site where Bone were voted worst group.  And it wasn't just the "underground" heads hating on them - often, it was also cats who bumped stuff like Bigge, Mobb Deep, Nas, and the Wu.  In fact, I remember when "Life After Death" came out and people heard "Notorious Thugz", they were screaming bloody murda mo at Biggie for working with Bone.

I dont get how East 1999 is a commercial album at all? The main, and pretty much only topics of that album were: smoking weed, killing people, selling drugs, killing cops & money over hardcore beats. What is commercial about that. Also remeber, the more well-know version of the Crossroads came out on a re-print of the album I guess about a year after it's inital release.

Commercial hip-hop in mid-90s = G-Funk beats, lyrics that were overly violent and not socially conscious, weed-smoking, all that shit.  If you were that kind of rapper in 1995, everyone outside of the West would have treated you the same way Southern rappers are treated today.

Oh, yeah, and Bone's style were considered gimmicky.  Plus, you know how everyone complains about mixing hip-hop with R&B?  Well, that applied back then, too.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:23:42 PM by Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson »

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 04:28:07 PM »
D4L, Yung Joc and Mike Jones

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

"THE" MoSav

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 06:25:53 PM »
B-Legit, Bizarre, Daz

LOL THATS A GREAT ONE! Cuz they all think they are tight as fuck and bosses and shit

The Best of 3 Worlds

BigBDrugStores

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »
pretty much 90% of the rappers you hear on todays radio...

youngmessnucca

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2006, 01:11:40 PM »

I had my head up my ass?  Son, how old were you in '95?  Was your little ass even listening to ANY hip-hop back then?  Juronimo is the same age I am, and he backs me up on this.  Respect your elders' wisdom.

You cite The Source as proof?  The Source were often being accused of catering too much to the mainstream even back in '98, so it doesn't surprise me if "E 1999 Eternal" was praised by them.  But heads were most definitely different - I remember plenty of fan polls on Flash's site where Bone were voted worst group.  And it wasn't just the "underground" heads hating on them - often, it was also cats who bumped stuff like Bigge, Mobb Deep, Nas, and the Wu.  In fact, I remember when "Life After Death" came out and people heard "Notorious Thugz", they were screaming bloody murda mo at Biggie for working with Bone.

Commercial hip-hop in mid-90s = G-Funk beats, lyrics that were overly violent and not socially conscious, weed-smoking, all that shit.  If you were that kind of rapper in 1995, everyone outside of the West would have treated you the same way Southern rappers are treated today.

Oh, yeah, and Bone's style were considered gimmicky.  Plus, you know how everyone complains about mixing hip-hop with R&B?  Well, that applied back then, too.

While I was young in '95 ( only 11 ), I had listened to an heard plenty of hip-hop, more than you most likely, and only people listening to shit like ATCQ, Pete Rock and shit like that were complaing. People who like good music were listening to Bone Thugs. Seems like I was smarter than you when I was 11, then you are now.

CanadActive

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Only one GOAT... MJ
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2006, 05:22:15 PM »
pretty much 90% of the rappers you hear on todays radio...
Yup...

But if I had to chose, that would be...

Jim Jones, Drag-On and Spider Loc

They are signed to The Dipset label and Lil Jon executive produce the album

Now that's WACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Canadian Polish

Narrator

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2006, 06:15:35 PM »
While I was young in '95 ( only 11 ), I had listened to an heard plenty of hip-hop, more than you most likely, and only people listening to shit like ATCQ, Pete Rock and shit like that were complaing. People who like good music were listening to Bone Thugs. Seems like I was smarter than you when I was 11, then you are now.

No, I'm afraid you weren't...then or now.

Bone were not respected in '95, and if you really believe otherwise, you're the one who REALLY had his head up his ass.