Author Topic: 50% of Adults in the UK are overweight  (Read 759 times)

Logic

50% of Adults in the UK are overweight
« on: August 30, 2006, 08:51:25 AM »

The report says 50% of adults in the UK are overweight

A leaflet sent to MPs has warned that government targets to reduce cancer and heart disease will not be met without more effort to cut levels of obesity.

The document from the Medical Research Council's centre for nutrition says the problem of people who are overweight is putting a huge burden on the UK.

"Obesity is a missing link in the chain of health problems"
-Dr Susan Jebb

It says half of all adults in the UK are overweight and one in five are obese, compared with one in ten French people.

People clinically defined as obese are twice as likely to die from heart disease and obese women are 27 times more at risk of developing diabetes.

Obese men are 33% more likely to die from cancer and obese women are 50% more at risk of dying from breast cancer.

'Enormous strain on resources'

Dr Susan Jebb, head of nutrition and health at the Medical Research Council, said: "There is a pressing need to recognise that obesity and overweight place an enormous strain on our health and on NHS resources.

"Obesity is a missing link in the chain of health problems such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease and cancer.

"As the number of obese people in the UK rises, it will become increasingly difficult to meet government targets for heart disease and cancer."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/826546.stm

**********************************************************************************************************

England another nation facing obesity crisis

LONDON: Nearly a third of men in England will be obese by 2010 if no measures are taken to tackle the problem, a government report warned on Friday.

A quarter of adults are already obese with the level nearly doubling among men since 1993 as the consumption of "energy dense" junk food rises and levels of physical activity fall.

Among children, the report added, the number of obese girls will overtake boys over the next four years if current trends continue.

Obesity is one of the leading preventable causes of death and costs the National Health Service 1 billion pounds a year and the wider economy 7 billion pounds annually.

The Health Department report forecast levels of obesity in England by 2010 based on a study of the nation's health published in 2003.

It showed that on current trends 19 per cent of boys and 22 per cent of girls will be obese.

That compares with obesity affecting 17 per cent of boys and 16 per cent of girls just three years ago.

The figures are likely to suggest the government will miss its health target of halting the rise in obesity of under-11s by 2010.

Other trends revealed by the statistics:

# More boys in middle-class (non-manual) households were obese compared to manual.

# In households with two obese parents, one child in four is obese, compared to one in eight where only one parent is obese and one in 20 where neither parent is obese.

"In the old days, the big health challenges were infectious diseases like Typhoid and TB, but these days, our health depends much more on what we do for ourselves than on what the NHS does for us," said Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt in a statement.

"That's why each of us needs to think about how we can lead healthier lives.

"It might be as simple as cutting down on the number of take-aways we eat, saying 'no' to that extra pint of beer, getting off the bus one stop earlier or walking our children to school."

In February, a joint report from the Audit Commission, the Healthcare Commission and the National Audit Office said central government needed to show greater clarity and direction in dealing with obesity in children.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Tony Blair gave Public Health minister Caroline Flint the job of working across government with a brief to get the nation fitter and more active ahead of the 2012 Olympics.

But the Conservatives dismissed her appointment as "minister for fitness" a gimmick, describing the government's track record on tackling obesity as "woeful".

Claire Williamson, a scientist at the British Nutrition Foundation, said obesity was a complex disorder with a range of causes.

But she said the decline in physical activity was a major contributor to the increasing levels of obesity in the country.

"We live in an increasingly 'obesogenic' environment which affects us all, with ready access to food and no need to take any exercise due to the availability of the car to get us around and machinery to replace physical labour," she added.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3776635a12,00.html

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: 50% of Adults in the UK are overweight
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 08:53:50 AM »
Alright Kain, I get the point, but keep in mind that I have a Anti-"XX% of Adults in Norway are overweight"-policy  ;D  .. Just in case Jome starts to talk shit and/or closes/merges this thread.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Sikotic™

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 09:01:05 PM »
You fat motherfuckers.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:42 AM »
Doesn't suprise me, we're starting to turn into America. I hate fat people, just do some fucking exercise and stop eating chocolate all day.

Boo-Yaa †

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Keep the Faith
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »
 if they are fat and happy then let them fattys be

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 12:01:33 PM »
NO MORE WAR

Narrator

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 12:08:19 PM »
fat people need love too

But they gotta pay.

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »
Word, cuzzo. The problem with it, however, is that society begins to try and accomodate to fat people.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

J Bananas

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
ive said it before but it disgusts me when fat people look at you eat, especially when ur in a restaraunt and u catch some hefer out the corner of your eye staring at your plate as you chow down. just last week i almost tossed my glass of white zinfandel no homo in some middle aged cows eyes, cuz i kept noticing her look at me like jabba objectified leya

Jome

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 02:35:51 PM »
Alright Kain, I get the point, but keep in mind that I have a Anti-"XX% of Adults in Norway are overweight"-policy  ;D  .. Just in case Jome starts to talk shit and/or closes/merges this thread.

??? Why would I talk shit about Kain's anti-UK propaganda ?

Like N.Y. Times said: "If you see a fat guy/woman in Norway, it's most likely a German or American tourist"  :wavey:

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:08 PM »

I dunno, to me thats even worse, especially in women. When they are ridculously overweight and then talk to you as if you are going to find them attractive, it just makes me sick. They have nothing to be proud about, they need to be dealing with their problem.

Let me just add that a few drunken experiences with "larger" women have made me disgust them even more as well. It's bad enough trying to have sex when your off your face anyway, but when you got to be rolling back layers of fat to find where you want to be going its definitely not a good look.

Sikotic™

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 03:09:02 PM »
ive said it before but it disgusts me when fat people look at you eat, especially when ur in a restaraunt and u catch some hefer out the corner of your eye staring at your plate as you chow down. just last week i almost tossed my glass of white zinfandel no homo in some middle aged cows eyes, cuz i kept noticing her look at me like jabba objectified leya
That right there is the worst. I don't even like my own dog doing that shit, but fuck, at least he's a dog.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Diabolical

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »

Like N.Y. Times said: "If you see a fat guy/woman in Norway, it's most likely a German or American tourist"  :wavey:

haha

I don't like fat people.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 03:14:33 PM »

that's bad attitude, my friend.  If they happy to explode when they 40...that's sad...

I seen people literally exploded on news...their guts popped like a balloon...

naw..gotta have war on obesity. 
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »

why do muthafuckaz always take shit personal these days?
you know exactly why I said what I said, cmon now, if you're innocent be cool, only the guilty one is catchin offense
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin