Author Topic: Airline passenger wearing Arabic script on shirt forced to cover it up  (Read 279 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
http://travelcanada.sympatico.msn.ca/Airline+passenger+wearing+Arabic+script+on+shirt+forced+to+cover+it+up/Home/ContentPostingNS.aspx?isfa=1&newsitemid=23067019&feedname=CP-TRAVEL&show=True&number=5&showbyline=False&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc

NEW YORK (AP) - An Arab human rights activist was prevented from boarding a plane at Kennedy Airport while wearing a T-shirt that read "We will not be silent" in English and Arabic.

Raed Jarrar was at the gate to board a JetBlue Airways flight to Oakland, Calif., on Aug. 12, when four officials from the airline or a U.S. government agency stopped him and told him he could not board with the shirt on, he said Wednesday.
One official told him: "Going to an airport with a T-shirt in Arabic script is like going to a bank and wearing a T-shirt that says: 'I'm a robber,"' he said.

Jenny Dervin, a JetBlue spokeswoman, acknowledged the dispute and said the airline was investigating. She noted the incident came two days after British authorities announced they had foiled a plot to blow up jetliners over the Atlantic.

Though rules banning liquids and gels in carry-on baggage went into effect at U.S. airports, Dervin said there are no specific rules governing clothing.

Jarrar, who directs the Iraq project for Global Exchange, a San Francisco-based human rights organization, said he refused a suggestion from the officials that he turn his shirt inside out. In the end, officials gave Jarrar another shirt to wear over his and he put it on rather than miss his flight.

Jarrar said he was forced to give up his seat near the front of the plane and was issued a new boarding pass for a seat in the rear.

It was unclear whether it was officials from JetBlue, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration or the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airport, who told Jarrar to remove his shirt, Dervin said.

Officials for the TSA and Port Authority said the agencies were investigating.

Jarrar, 28, is half-Iraqi and half-Palestinian and moved to the United States last year from Jordan, where he was studying. The slogan "We will not be silent" has been adopted by opponents of the war in Iraq.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

DipsetGeneral

Re: Airline passenger wearing Arabic script on shirt forced to cover it up
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 12:03:23 AM »
good, I dont want to see a shirt like that in this country

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 12:12:25 AM »

and i dont like to see lil shits like you post on this forum, what is your point?
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 12:17:22 AM »

and i dont like to see lil shits like you post on this forum, what is your point?

If you are not bright enough to see my point, then you are not deserving enough for an answer,  go choke on some wet wipes doggie

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 12:28:25 AM »

If you are not bright enough to see my point, then you are not deserving enough for an answer,  go choke on some wet wipes doggie

I been on that propane piff for years, while you been terrycloth, meaning you very soft.

i say that to say this

Fall Back Youngin

- Lewis Carroll

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 12:33:58 AM »
^^lmao, propz on the terrycloth line, Dipset Bitch

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:08:43 AM »
These niggas gettin' shook too hard. If someone really wanted to blow shit up, they would be rockin' a shirt with a fuckin bald eagle on it or Mickey Mouse.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

DipsetGeneral

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 01:17:04 AM »
These niggas gettin' shook too hard. If someone really wanted to blow shit up, they would be rockin' a shirt with a fuckin bald eagle on it or Mickey Mouse.

I agree, but I still wouldnt care for that shirt much if I saw it

Primo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I just want to fit in!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 09:49:39 AM »
I think they would cover it up because it would impose fear on the passengers.

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 11:04:50 AM »
Its sad that it has got to the point where whenever a muslim looking man gets on a plane everyone is instantly wary of them, but thats the image that news networks around the world are showing us everytime they mention terrorism so its only natural that there appearance provokes such a reaction in people. Although this man himself has done nothing wrong, it was a bit of a silly decision for him to wear that shirt on a flight and he must have been aware this would cause further insecurity in the other passengers. As it say, its sad its got to that point, but now that it has, stories like this are going to be a regular occurence.

Diabolical

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:14:21 PM »
"Going to an airport with a T-shirt in Arabic script is like going to a bank and wearing a T-shirt that says: 'I'm a robber,"' he said.

''Yeah, exactly"

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »

- Lewis Carroll