Author Topic: Shark that walks on fins is discovered  (Read 683 times)

maudizzle

Shark that walks on fins is discovered
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »

this is some cool shit :D

Shark that walks on fins is discovered

By MICHAEL CASEY, AP Environmental Writer Mon Sep 18, 10:49 AM ET

BANGKOK, Thailand - Scientists combing through undersea fauna off Indonesia's Papua province said Monday they had discovered dozens of new species, including a shark that walks on its fins and a shrimp that looks like a praying mantis.
ADVERTISEMENT

The team from U.S.-based Conservation International also warned that the area — known as Bird's Head Seascape — is under danger from fishermen who use dynamite and cyanide to net their catches and called on Indonesia's government to do more to protect it.

"It's one of the most stunningly beautiful landscapes and seascapes on the planet," said Mark Erdmann, a senior adviser of Conservation International who led two surveys to the area earlier this year.

"Above and below water, it's simply mind blowing," he said.

Erdmann and his team claim to have discovered 52 new species, including 24 new species of fish, 20 new species of coral and eight new species of shrimp. Among the highlights were an epaulette shark that walks on its fins, a praying mantis-like shrimp and scores of reef-building corals, he said.

Conservation International said papers on two of the new fish species, called flasher wrasse because of the bright colors the male exhibits during mating, have been accepted for publication to the Aqua, Journal of Ichthyology and Aquatic Biology.

The group is in the process of writing papers on the other species, it said.

Carden Wallace, a coral expert and principal scientist at the Museum of Tropical Queensland in Townsville, Australia, said she was not surprised by the finding "mostly because it is a remote location and hasn't been visited by scientists very much."

Wallace said the finds should give scientists crucial data.

"This will give us a better understanding of where all this diversity originates from and how vulnerable it may be," Wallace said.

Erdmann said the discoveries add to an already legendary reputation for the area, which stretches for 70,000 square miles on the northwestern end of Indonesia's Papua province.

Dubbed Asia's "Coral Triangle," it is home to more than 1,200 species of fish and almost 600 species of reef-building coral, or 75 percent of the world's known total.

But the region's biodiversity faces threats from subsistence fishermen who use dynamite and cyanide, as well as a government plan to introduce commercial fishing along the coast. That has prompted Conservation International to call for the government to set up a series of marine parks around Bird's Head Seascape.

"These Papuan reefs are literally species factories that require special attention to protect them from unsustainable fisheries and other threats so they can continue to benefit their local owners and the global community," Erdmann said.

Erdmann said only 11 percent of the area currently is protected, most of it in the Teluk Cendarawasih National Park. He said the government is studying the idea of creating additional marine parks.

The surveys took place in waters surrounding Papua from Teluk Cenderawasih in the north to Raja Ampat archipelago off the western coast and southeast to the FakFak-Kaimana coastline.

The two survey sites are a few hundred miles from another Conservation International site in the Foja Mountains. Researchers in February announced a survey of the Foja Mountains discovered 20 frog species — including a microhylid frog less than a half-inch long — four new butterfly species, and at least five new types of palms.

Researchers also encountered the Long-beaked Echidna, members of the primitive egg-laying group of mammals called the Monotremes.

___

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/underwater_discoveries;_ylt=AieB5GSjjBDUT09hkWLNg5HlWMcF;_ylu=X3oDMTA5bGVna3NhBHNlYwNzc3JlbA--

J Bananas

Re: Shark that walks on fins is discovered
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
our days at the top of the food chain are limited

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:11:12 PM »
Cool, but I swear that's nothing compared to some sick fucks living deeeeeeeeeply down down in the ocean we haven't heard of so far.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 02:48:06 PM »
sea creatures that walks the earth....the new doomsday....lol....

[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

WestCoasta

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:55:20 PM »
Cool, but I swear that's nothing compared to some sick fucks living deeeeeeeeeply down down in the ocean we haven't heard of so far.
:sign_werd:

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:04:31 PM »
Check this out

"Cymothoa exigua, a crustacean, is the only known parasite that effectively replaces a body organ. It makes its home in the mouth of a fish, where it drains blood from the tongue until it withers and dies. It attaches itself to the remaining stub and the fish is actually able to utilize it as a replacement tongue to draw in and manipulate food, which the parasite shares."

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:13:52 PM »
Check this out

"Cymothoa exigua, a crustacean, is the only known parasite that effectively replaces a body organ. It makes its home in the mouth of a fish, where it drains blood from the tongue until it withers and dies. It attaches itself to the remaining stub and the fish is actually able to utilize it as a replacement tongue to draw in and manipulate food, which the parasite shares."

holy moly..don't go to ocean no more...
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 07:23:22 PM »
The craziest shit is in the deep ocean. I don't even wanna know.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Chief

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 04:30:47 AM »
Check this out

holy shit, thats fucked up!

suckaa free

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »

for real, those mufuckas are crazy, light shottin out thier head, see through bodies and shit.  crazy shieet!

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 11:18:19 AM »
Now thats gangsta  ;D

westkoastanostra

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 12:12:14 AM »
these muthafuckin deep sea weirdos wouldnt be able to survive the shallow part ofthe ocean just like we wouldnt be able to make it down there by swimming...but i could care less...those mofos look freaky deaky....

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 09:06:10 AM »
i ain't eatting fish no more...mc filet.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 09:07:50 AM »
u guys ever seen the worms in the woman's breast? it's like that..nasty.

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 06:51:57 PM »

I wanna eat it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE