Author Topic: Canadian soldiers dying in Afghanistan 6 times as fast as U.S. soldiers in Iraq  (Read 209 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
OTTAWA -- Canadian soldiers in southern Afghanistan are six times more likely to be killed than U.S. soldiers serving in Iraq, according to a think-tank report released yesterday.

In a statistical analysis of casualties since Canada took on its current, more dangerous assignment in Kandahar province last February, the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives found that a Canadian soldier is 4 1/2 times more likely to be killed than an American in Afghanistan, and three times more likely than a British soldier.

MORE U.K. TROOPS

More British troops have died than Canadians in Afghanistan, but the centre's figures take into account the fact that there are more than twice the number of British troops there.

"Afghanistan is looking more like Iraq every day," said Steven Staples, the study's co-author.

In an interview with CTV Newsnet yesterday, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said there is no surprise that the Afghanistan mission has become more dangerous.

"We are taking casualties because we are moving (the Taliban) from their very last bastions of strength and support," Harper said.

Not including the U.S.'s 269 deaths, the report found that Canada's soldiers account for almost one in four (23%) of the coalition's 139 casualties.

Based on current casualty rates, the think-tank estimates that 108 more Canadians will die before the country's current mission commitment expires in 2009.

The study didn't consider the four most recent deaths.

Staples called on the government to disclose any casualty estimates it has for the Canadian troops looking forward to 2009 so Canadians have a true picture of the assignment's cost.

24 SINCE FEBRUARY

Including yesterday's four deaths, 24 of Canada's 36 military casualties in Afghanistan have occurred since February.

Former Liberal defence minister Bill Graham said their government warned that casualties would rise once troops moved to the south, but no one predicted how high.

"It's a much more challenging mission than originally thought, no question about it," he said.

Until yesterday's suicide bomb, the most common killer of Canadians had been so-called improvised explosive devices, or roadside bombs (seven deaths), the report said

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2006/09/19/1862049-sun.html

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

westkoastanostra

soldiers dying over nothing....some sad shit

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Sorry to say this but this is what happens when you occupy a country for no reason other than to secure and protect the oil pipeline. We know there is no justifiable reason because the FBI have never indicted Osama Bin Laden for September 11 and yet this was their justification for dropping thousands of tonnes of depleted uranium on this country, that bin laden was the man behind all of this and that Afghanistan must be attacked because it is their government who are harbouring him. Now we witness the consequences its sad that these soldiers are dying in yet another act of deceit by the western governments but people on the whole can not face this truth and would rather look at the Taliban as being this evil terrorist organisation who is killing "the troops". It's also yet another example of how quickly the average person's history of the events disappears down the memory hole when even in 2001 before the date of september 11, the taliban referred to america as their friend and ally.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Canadians and Canada like to think of themselves as being such peaceful people, but they are nothing more than another lap dog in the United States Empire.  Killing innocent people just to kiss Bush's ass.  They don't give a damn about Afganistan.  They just want to impress their masters.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^ I think they are under pressure tho
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Lincoln

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The best in the game today....Black Jack Johnson
^^ Yeah, we haven't been living up to our NATO commitments.

Most hip-hop is now keyboard driven, because the majority of hip-hop workstations have loops and patches that enable somebody with marginal skills to put tracks together,...

Unfortunately, most hip-hop artists gravitated towards the path of least resistance by relying on these pre-set patches. As a result, electric guitar and real musicians became devalued, and a lot of hip-hop now sounds the same.

Paris

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
^ I think they are under pressure tho

we're under pressure but its more our govt wanting to suck dick. like really passionate about sucking dick.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Say what you want about Iraq, but if you question the legitimacy of the Afghanistan war then you are a fucking idiot.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
hush little baby

- Lewis Carroll

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
Canadians and Canada like to think of themselves as being such peaceful people, but they are nothing more than another lap dog in the United States Empire.  Killing innocent people just to kiss Bush's ass.  They don't give a damn about Afganistan.  They just want to impress their masters.

innocent people? did you know that afghanistan is responsible for at least 90% of the worldwide production of opium? did you know that woman would get kill over there for wearing jeans, watching television or listenning to some music? did you know afghanistan been the train field of al quaida and still is? i mean, those people living there deserve to enter the 21st century, why they gotta still be living like it's 200 before christ? We owe them freedom, and 108 aint nothing, we 36 millions in canada, 7 billion worldwide, i'm down for a lil sacrefice

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Canadian soldiers dying in Afghanistan 6 times as fast as U.S. soldiers in I
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 04:27:20 PM »

Sorry to say this but this is what happens when you occupy a country for no reason other than to secure and protect the oil pipeline. We know there is no justifiable reason because the FBI have never indicted Osama Bin Laden for September 11 and yet this was their justification for dropping thousands of tonnes of depleted uranium on this country, that bin laden was the man behind all of this and that Afghanistan must be attacked because it is their government who are harbouring him. Now we witness the consequences its sad that these soldiers are dying in yet another act of deceit by the western governments but people on the whole can not face this truth and would rather look at the Taliban as being this evil terrorist organisation who is killing "the troops". It's also yet another example of how quickly the average person's history of the events disappears down the memory hole when even in 2001 before the date of september 11, the taliban referred to america as their friend and ally.
osama bin ladin is nothing but a movie character..so they say in the video.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Canadian soldiers dying in Afghanistan 6 times as fast as U.S. soldiers in I
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 04:56:53 PM »

I know what you are saying by raising the issue of opium production, however even by conservative estimates, even the figures banded around the congress opium production has increased by 1000% since the invasion of Afghanistan. What's more they knew this would happen as soon as the Taliban were dethroned, prior to that opium production was beginning to fall but the Northern Alliance never had qualms about building a mass empire of opium production cultivated from the land. What's laughable is one that the public were sold on this idea that the Northern Alliance and fellow war lords would somehow provide a better quality of life for people when during their last stay as "administrators" they butchered and set people alight in their thousands, also that the government talks of this feed to fight the drug war there but you see this wasnt such a horrendous problem until the invasion and the regime change, its a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's very much like that muppet Bush who justifies the Iraq war on the grounds that we are fighting terrorists, when the fact is these people are a direct consequence of invading Iraq there were not there prior to this. I bet you real american is such an idiot he probably still believes in his heart that al queda and saddam hussein were best buddies. So again a self fulfilling prophecy. I will leave this open to your own thoughts but its publicly documented that the CIA recruited pilots to go out to Vietnam and smuggle opium back to fund the war in vietnam. Is it beyond the realms of possibility therefore that with sky rocketing production levels of opium that history is repeating itself?