Author Topic: "torture may now be more widespread than it was under Saddam's regime"  (Read 173 times)

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060921/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq_060919194343

The U.N. Assistance Mission in Iraq's Human Rights office warned that the number of Iraqi civilians killed in July and August hit 6,599, a record high number that is far greater than initial estimates had suggested and points to the grave sectarian crisis gripping the country.

It offered a grim assessment across a range of indicators, reporting worrying evidence of torture, unlawful detentions, the growth of sectarian militias and death squads, and a rise in "honor killings" of women.

The United Nations' chief anti-torture expert warned Thursday that torture may now be more widespread than it was under Saddam's regime, with militias, terrorist groups and government forces disregarding rules on the humane treatment of prisoners.

"What most people tell you is that the situation as far as torture is concerned now in Iraq is totally out of hand," Manfred Nowak said in Geneva.

"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: "torture may now be more widespread than it was under Saddam's regime"
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 04:25:14 PM »
It is really sad. I guess Iraq proves that Arabs are incapable of living in a modern, free, democratic state.

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:39:03 PM »
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=101235.0

as part of my contract with dubcc, faggots arent allowed in threads i create

true story ask overseer
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
It is really sad. I guess Iraq proves that Arabs are incapable of living in a modern, free, democratic state.
Well, nobody wants to be forced into something they don't necessarily want.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 05:04:01 PM »

Shut up you fool Bush is on tv looking to convince the nation that torture is good, alberto gonzalez tells congress that torture is acceptable if the intention was not to kill the person, right now they are renaming torture but its still torture! and you have the stupidity to talk about iraqis rejecting a free and fair society. Go and do something useful like checking those charts so you can let us all know when the rapture is upon us. You are full of nothing more than buzz words which the puppet president gives out to you, you havent considered what they truly mean or you would realise that torture is not compatible with free. Or are you going to continue demonstrating how brainwashed you are by denying that they are allowing torture techniques? like drowning and some other forms of torture which are just so sick, i dont even want to mention them, but im sure the more aware people know.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 05:07:50 PM by virtuoso »

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 06:21:37 PM »
American "torture" involves blasting loud ass rap music, taking nudie photographs, etc.

Not quite the kind of torture they do in the Middle East.

Sikotic™

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 06:28:51 PM »
American "torture" involves blasting loud ass rap music, taking nudie photographs, etc.

Not quite the kind of torture they do in the Middle East.

WWJD  >:(
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 06:39:40 AM »
Do you seriously not know?, allowable methods include the ones mentioned below

But NEWSWEEK has learned that Yoo's August 2002 memo was prompted by CIA questions about what to do with a top Qaeda captive, Abu Zubaydah, who had turned uncooperative. And it was drafted after White House meetings convened by George W. Bush's chief counsel, Alberto Gonzales, along with Defense Department general counsel William Haynes and David Addington, Vice President Dick Cheney's counsel, who discussed specific interrogation techniques, says a source familiar with the discussions. Among the methods they found acceptable: "water-boarding," or dripping water into a wet cloth over a suspect's face, which can feel like drowning; and threatening to bring in more-brutal interrogators from other nations.

There was a spike in a lot of intel that we were picking up in terms of more attacks" on America, said Gen. James Hill, chief of the U.S. Southern Command. "We weren't getting anything out of him" using standard techniques outlined in Army Field Manual 34-52. So CIA and military-intel interrogators came up with new tactics based on the sorts of methods that U.S. Special Forces are specifically trained to resist, a Defense source says. The Special Forces' Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape course culminates in interrogations that include some physical roughing up; sensory, food and sleep deprivation, and a "water pit" in which detainees have to stand on tip-toe to keep from drowning.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5197853/site/newsweek#storyContinued

The CIA sources described a list of six "Enhanced Interrogation Techniques" instituted in mid-March 2002 and used, they said, on a dozen top al Qaeda targets incarcerated in isolation at secret locations on military bases in regions from Asia to Eastern Europe. According to the sources, only a handful of CIA interrogators are trained and authorized to use the techniques:

1. The Attention Grab: The interrogator forcefully grabs the shirt front of the prisoner and shakes him.

2. Attention Slap: An open-handed slap aimed at causing pain and triggering fear.

3. The Belly Slap: A hard open-handed slap to the stomach. The aim is to cause pain, but not internal injury. Doctors consulted advised against using a punch, which could cause lasting internal damage.

4. Long Time Standing: This technique is described as among the most effective. Prisoners are forced to stand, handcuffed and with their feet shackled to an eye bolt in the floor for more than 40 hours. Exhaustion and sleep deprivation are effective in yielding confessions.

5. The Cold Cell: The prisoner is left to stand naked in a cell kept near 50 degrees. Throughout the time in the cell the prisoner is doused with cold water.

6. Water Boarding: The prisoner is bound to an inclined board, feet raised and head slightly below the feet. Cellophane is wrapped over the prisoner's face and water is poured over him. Unavoidably, the gag reflex kicks in and a terrifying fear of drowning leads to almost instant pleas to bring the treatment to a halt.

This is classified under interrogation techniques, it's redefining what torture is, bullshit newspeak which describes torture as physical or physical "pressure"

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/Investigation/story?id=1322866&page=1

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 06:47:49 AM by virtuoso »