Author Topic: do you consider yourself as a hiphop guy?  (Read 550 times)

grasshiphopper

• 'G'
Re: do you consider yourself as a hiphop guy?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 12:24:20 AM »
but what really makes a person hiphop?

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 03:33:53 AM »
to all the people saying "i dress hiphop".. how do you dress hiphop??.. you dont need special clothes to be hiphop

ecrazy

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 03:42:12 AM »
I thought Hip Hop Was a culture?!?! (Mc'ing, Bboying, Djing, Graffitti) ......Ive Dj'ed and hung out with local writing crews, i cant B boy but i respect the culture and Mcing was something ive dabbled in as well ...... So yeah, Hip Hop is in my blood and its been passed on by older siblings too..

'EclipZe

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 03:44:20 AM »
i love the hiphop culture. I Play basketball. 99% of the music that i listen 2 is hiphop related. am i considerd a hiphop guy?

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 03:57:43 AM »
I've been listening to rap music since the age of 12 and I have almost finished my memoir/thesis on The Evolution of Hip-Hop Culture - and for this I have studied the entire culture: rap music, breakdancing, turntablism, graffiti and beatboxing. I've read several books and watched several documentaries on hip-hop culture.
To me, hip-hop stands for "being true to yourself". So in that respect, I guesss you could call me a hip-hop guy. But when you use the term 'hip-hop' nowadays, the majority of the people immediately think of jewellery and fance cars. And I'd rather not be associated with that image....

Hip-Hop's not the only genre I listen to though. I find myself more and more listening to more calm music: soul, old school R&B, singer/songwriters, jazz, etc...

ABN

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 04:09:13 AM »
iīve done graffiti,made beats and i listen to hip hop all day. but i donīt wear baggy clothes and whatnot coz i donīt think itīs comfortable. but i donīt know if iīm a hip hop guy or not, i like everything about the culture but these days itīs so watered down and corny so i donīt really wanna be associated with what most people consider hip hop.

wcsoldier

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 04:09:50 AM »
^^What's studies do u do ? U wanna be a teacher if I'm right.. that thesis sounds interesting.. As for the question, I listen to hip hop for 9 years but I don't try to act hard, dress like a wigger or anything.. that's the sadest thing about it, lots of people are surprised that I'm a lot into hip hop music coz they think you have to wear a certain type of clothes, speak Xplicit language, ect...

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 04:29:54 AM »
I thought Hip Hop Was a culture?!?! (Mc'ing, Bboying, Djing, Graffitti) ......Ive Dj'ed and hung out with local writing crews, i cant B boy but i respect the culture and Mcing was something ive dabbled in as well ...... So yeah, Hip Hop is in my blood and its been passed on by older siblings too..
props...
i love the hiphop culture. I Play basketball. 99% of the music that i listen 2 is hiphop related. am i considerd a hiphop guy?
i think it's up to yourself if you are.. personally i don't think you HAVE to do one of the four elements..
I've been listening to rap music since the age of 12 and I have almost finished my memoir/thesis on The Evolution of Hip-Hop Culture - and for this I have studied the entire culture: rap music, breakdancing, turntablism, graffiti and beatboxing. I've read several books and watched several documentaries on hip-hop culture.
To me, hip-hop stands for "being true to yourself". So in that respect, I guesss you could call me a hip-hop guy. But when you use the term 'hip-hop' nowadays, the majority of the people immediately think of jewellery and fance cars. And I'd rather not be associated with that image....

Hip-Hop's not the only genre I listen to though. I find myself more and more listening to more calm music: soul, old school R&B, singer/songwriters, jazz, etc...
right now i'm talking about the "real" hiphop.. like it started..

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 05:02:13 AM »
^^What's studies do u do ? U wanna be a teacher if I'm right.. that thesis sounds interesting..

Yeah, I'm in my last year at college to become a teacher of French, English and History. I just need to write my introduction for my thesis, and then it's all done. About 60 pages of plain text. So add the fact that I still have to take care of the lay-out of my thesis (titles, pics, etc...) and that will lead up to about 80 pages. Most of the other students in my class still have to get started with their thesis, which is crazy. The new schoolyear has just started and we've already gotten numerous tasks for the past few months. I'm glad I don't have to worry about my thesis anymore...

Machiavelli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 06:13:07 AM »
I love old westcoast rap music, I hate almost all other hip hop tho, excluding some artists.  I hate hip hop gear.  I think speding thousands or millions of dollars on bling is completely stupid.  I can't stand hip hop stations on the radio.  I do like the slang.  I do love smoking weed.  I don't really like ghetto people.  I'd consider myself a rap fan, but not a hip hop person.

acgrundy

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 09:27:40 AM »
Smoking weed is not hip hop.

yes it is.  Every single rapper I listen to raps about smoking weed.

smoking weed is smoking weed its not hip hop lol. I dont smoke weed and im hip hop.

smoking weed is part of the hip hop culture.  Just like its part of the reggae culture.  Like I said every single rapper I listen to talks about smoking weed, in fact I can't name one westcoast rapper that doesn't have a song soley dedicated to getting high.  Just because you don't smoke weed doesn't mean that you cant be hip hop.  Smoking weed is just one part of it.  These guys are getting bombed n the studio, I'm sure it has helped with their creativity.  Don't be stupid guys, smoking weed is most definately part of the hip hop culture.

To the idiot that said hip hop made smoking weed popular, umm I didnt' say that, but you can say that if you want to.  Hundreds of thousands of people smoke weed and hate rap music.  Smoking weed was popular before rap music was even invented.  seriously, how do people like you get to be so dumb?

E-L-P

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 21 & Over
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 09:35:36 AM »
I'm Mexican, I Dress White, and I Listen To Rap. I Consider Myself Hip Hop. I Don't Think Kam Has Ever Mentioned Smoking Weed.
My Future Wife:

Diabolical

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 11:50:56 AM »
When I hear the word Hip-Hop I think of real music (ATCQ, Gang Starr, Rakim ect), when it's Rap I think of that wack shit.

I think there is a massive difference between Hip-Hop culture & Rap culture.

Oklin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »
When I hear the word Hip-Hop I think of real music (ATCQ, Gang Starr, Rakim ect), when it's Rap I think of that wack shit.

I think there is a massive difference between Hip-Hop culture & Rap culture.
but rap is a part of hiphop.... or well i guess you can rap without being HipHop.. but then i dont consider the rapper as a MC

Throwback

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2006, 01:17:24 PM »
ik ben quasi hip, nederlands en sneakergeil. jeweetZELF.