Author Topic: *Review of tracks off Hip Hop Is Dead.... The N----XXl.com*  (Read 533 times)

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You can't spell Dilate without L.A.
*Review of tracks off Hip Hop Is Dead.... The N----XXl.com*
« on: October 05, 2006, 06:18:37 PM »
Jacked this from the allhiphop formums:

By now we all know El Presidente is coming to save hip-hop on November 21st. But the question still remains: Is his former foe turned friend Nas really following in his footsteps a few weeks after? Well YN doesn’t like questions. He likes answers. So I hollered at Antonio and the crew and took my lazy ass up to Def Jam to hear 5 new Nas songs. Now I recently got a new Blackberry that I don’t fully know how to work (plus I have wide fingers) so I didn’t really take notes while the music was playing but here’s what, to the best of my recollection, I can recall. Word to Ronald Reagan.

Track Un
The “Hip-Hop Is Dead” title track. It’s a higher-level Luda-like intro that lays out Nasir’s new blueprint. His various rhyme references will satisfy you hip-hop students as he name-drops everything from “the bigger the cap the bigger the peeling” to Dem Franchise Boyz white Tees. Only catch is it’s produced by Will I Am. Hey, don’t shoot the messenger? It knocks. Preemo, who?

Track Deux
Another one with the Black Eyed Pea behind the boards. The song played off that old standard “Unforgettable” and has never-blew singer Yvette Michelle hittin’ more high notes than Mariah. A little too musically all over the place for my taste.

Track Trois
Reggae-flavored joint that sounds a little similar to Cam’s “Bubble Music.” The Marley boys lend a hand. I ain’t mad at it.

Track Quatre
OK. Here’s the kicker boys and girls: Nas and Game together on a Dr. Dre track. I repeat: Nas and Game together on a Dr. Dre track. That’s right, rap scholars: Game can’t get a Dre beat for his album but he’s on one on Nas’ LP. Might be last time we ever hear Game on an official Dre beat. Surprisingly, Jones and Taylor are a good combination. Still I like the Doctor’s Advocate Nas/Game connection better. I also secretly heard that one and the QB soldier spits some shit on there like “Pro-black, I don’t even pick cotton out of aspirin bottles.” That’s some “Back to the Grill at the BBQ” shit.

Track Cinq
Only song I heard today with legitimate single potential. It’s called something like “Let Me In The Light.” Mr. West produced it, used some-old-school breakbeat drums and one of Nas’ homies does a good Anthony Hamilton impersonation on the hook. I might be buggin’ but the shit sounded hot to me. Maybe it was just Massa Reid’s boomin’ system.

3 Other Facts Y’all Give Way More Than 2 Shits About

1. Final album is gonna be Illmatic-like length. Maybe 12 songs.

2. Kanye has another track on there that he’s rhyming on.

3. And finally, yes, there’s a Nas/Jay collabo. Not on Kingdom Come but right chea. They knocked out 3 songs in 1 night and one is making it. Produced by Just… Large… Salaam… Timber… well of course, L.E.S. Life’s a bitch, ain’t it? Kudos, Leshan.

Still I did make a decision today. I’m really gonna give Nas his cover. No more back page tricks. Internet geeks: Rejoice!

Diabolical

Re: *Review of tracks off Hip Hop Is Dead.... The N----XXl.com*
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 06:32:13 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

everlast1986

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »
Looks great except the Kanye track sounds pretty typical for him because he uses the same drums in most of his beats.

What happened to Quan? is he still with Nas?

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 08:18:04 PM »
I'm gonna be pissed if that song doesn't make the album!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 08:33:10 PM »
I'm lovin that L.E.S. produced the Nas / Jay track.  Should be dope.  I'll admit that I'm less than excited that WillIAm produced at least 2 joints, but I won't hate until I hear them.  But if these are wack, and Primo fails to make the album, this album will be a pretty big letdown to me.

Nas & Dre again?  Never really liked that combo before.  They just haven't meshed well in the past.  Hopefully Dre submitted some really dope dark ass beat.  Just because of these two guys talent I'm def interested to see what they can come with.  I think the determining factor will be if Nas and Dre actually worked together or if Dre emailed Nas a beat.  If Nas just purchased a random beat from Dre I doubt it will come off that well.  If they're actually in the studio it would make a huge difference.

Nas & Kanye?  I loved Papa was a Playa, but at the same time, Kanye is on everybody elses album which gets boring.

Nas & Damien Marley (i'm guessing?) - Road to Zion was real dope, looking forward to this one.

So all in all, if it's really 12 cuts deep and we know about 7 songs, we've still got 5 more out there.  So who does that leave production wise?  Scott Storch (if there's a God he won't be on here)?  Salaam Remi?  Large Pro (crosses fingers)?  Primo?  Alchemist?  Neptunes?

kingwell

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 10:54:31 PM »
Did Just Blaze do a track for the album?

eazye

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • shorty_tha_pimp a.k.a. extra.P
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:34:45 PM »
Hmmm, looks alright, and like Jrome siad we all know it would be better if Nas and Dre were in the studio
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iQYKq2uupz8</a>

Bones01

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 01:22:32 AM »
propz can't wait for this shit

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 03:24:58 AM »
Looks good  8)

About that Dre track Ill believe it when I hear it. We all know what kind of stunt that UK Dj pulled.

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 03:35:09 AM »
I'm lovin that L.E.S. produced the Nas / Jay track.  Should be dope.  I'll admit that I'm less than excited that WillIAm produced at least 2 joints, but I won't hate until I hear them.  But if these are wack, and Primo fails to make the album, this album will be a pretty big letdown to me.

Nas & Dre again?  Never really liked that combo before.  They just haven't meshed well in the past.  Hopefully Dre submitted some really dope dark ass beat.  Just because of these two guys talent I'm def interested to see what they can come with.  I think the determining factor will be if Nas and Dre actually worked together or if Dre emailed Nas a beat.  If Nas just purchased a random beat from Dre I doubt it will come off that well.  If they're actually in the studio it would make a huge difference.

Nas & Kanye?  I loved Papa was a Playa, but at the same time, Kanye is on everybody elses album which gets boring.

Nas & Damien Marley (i'm guessing?) - Road to Zion was real dope, looking forward to this one.

So all in all, if it's really 12 cuts deep and we know about 7 songs, we've still got 5 more out there.  So who does that leave production wise?  Scott Storch (if there's a God he won't be on here)?  Salaam Remi?  Large Pro (crosses fingers)?  Primo?  Alchemist?  Neptunes?

Damn i thought Alchemist produced Papa was a playa... now I checked the Vault and it says

11. Poppa Was A Playa
Produced by Deric Angelettie
Contains excerpts from the composition " The Newness Is Gone " (Eddie Kendricks

Diabolical

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 04:13:50 AM »
Looks good  8)

About that Dre track Ill believe it when I hear it. We all know what kind of stunt that UK Dj pulled.

Apparently not, explain plz.

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 04:23:36 AM »
Looks good  8)

Apparently not, explain plz.

He said that Game has a track with Snoop and Dre, produced by Dre, on his album  :D ::)

Diabolical

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 04:29:28 AM »
Was it Westwood?

--Vance--

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 04:34:52 AM »
Was it Westwood?

No, DJ Semtex was it... But strange is that the other tracks he heard really exsicts, an example is this track called Compton with Will.I.Am....

Maybe I'm a fool, but there's still a chance to see that track with dre and snoop...   8)

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 04:45:59 AM »
Was it Westwood?

No, DJ Semtex was it... But strange is that the other tracks he heard really exsicts, an example is this track called Compton with Will.I.Am....

Maybe I'm a fool, but there's still a chance to see that track with dre and snoop...   8)

Maybe Dre's saved it for Detox? ;)
No seriously, that could be why Game couldn't give a straight answer on whether Dre was on his album; he didn't know if Dre was gonna let him have that track.

Maybe it'll turn up on Snoop's album?

Maybe it was all bullshit to hype the fans up?