Author Topic: Prince Paul & "Ill Out Show" Celebrate The Culture  (Read 65 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Prince Paul & "Ill Out Show" Celebrate The Culture
« on: October 12, 2006, 12:52:45 AM »
At this year’s VH1 Hip-Hop Honors Hip-Hop Legend Luvbug Starski was on the red carpet setting the record straight. “It was Lovebug. Not DJ Hollywood. And you can ask him. He knows what I did. I know what I did. I created the word 'hip-hop.’” Listeners to Prince Paul’s “Ill Out Show” have heard that and many other jabs from the Luvbug already. On episode 4, Starski went on the offensive against DJ Hollywood, but also Crazy Legs, Grandmaster Theodore, Puffy, and Grandmaster Flash. Luvbug’s historical corrections include: Theodore didn’t invent the scratch, Flash never had a pair of Technics and Crazy Legs lied his way to the top.

As VH1 also honors MC Lyte this year, the Ill Out Show echoed the sentiment in Episode 6 as the show’s guest Lin Que (aka Isis) of X Clan spoke on the ladies’ long contribution to the culture.

As Paul and The Ill Out Crew wrap up the first year of the radio show and get ready to take the show live on stage, October 31st at BB King’s, the guys are happy to be doing their part to document the culture. Lately there are fewer and fewer outlets where artists like DJ Roc Raida of the X-Cutioners, RA The Rugged Man, and Masta Ace can tell their stories. And the Ill Out Show is one of them. Since earlier this year, Paul and XM’s old school Hip-Hop channel, The Rhyme 65 have been working to make sure we never forget about the contributions of some of Hip-Hop’s greatest talents.

And this is the legacy of Prince Paul’s career. To study his career path is a study in Hip-Hop itself. Paul is one of the few artists whose audience is as young as a teenager and as old as grandfather (albeit a young one). Paul started with the first Hip- Hop band, Stetsasonic in the late 80’s. After the success of hi singles like “Sally” and “Talking All That Jazz” he went on to discover 3 crazy kids from Long Island. That trio was De La Soul and their classic albums, 3 Feet High and Rising, De La Soul Is Dead, and Buhloone Mind State solidified Paul’s place as one of Hip-Hop’s most prolific producers. During that period Paul produced tracks for Slick Rick, Third Bass and many others.

In the mid 90’s Paul formed the Gravediggaz with the RZA who had just come off the explosive success of the Wu Tang Clan’s first album. After two Gravediggaz albums Paul began his solo career with the release of Psychoanalysis. This was the first of many concept albums which included Prince Among Thieves. These records are credited with being the prototype for other concept albums like Gnarls Barkley’s St. Elsewhere and Danger Doom’s The Mouse and The Mask.

Paul’s work with comedian and actor Chris Rock earned him two Grammy’s for each of Chris’s comedy albums, Bigger and Blacker and Never Scared. Paul brings his comedic sense as well as Hip-Hop pedigree to the Ill Out Show. Along with outrageous personalities Mr. Dead, Busta Bus, Nyce, Bimos and Newkirk the Ill Out Show has been called “The Hip- Hop Howard Stern Show” or “The Wendy Williams Experience for dudes.” Whether you’re a Stern fan, a Wendy fan, a De La fan, or a Handsome Boy fan the October 31st show is not to be missed.

The 5th Annual Room Service and Brooklyn Bodega CMJ Showcase is taking place on October 31st at BB King’s in Times Square, New York City. This year’s showcase features Grammy winning producer and DJ Prince Paul and the Ill Out Crew from XM Satellite Radio’s “Prince Paul and The Ill Out Show” as heard on The Rhyme 65. Paul will be joined by a range of guests spanning his long career including Breezly Brewin, Mr. Len, Dres from Black Sheep, Freddie Foxxx, members of Stestasonic, and many more. The CMJ Showcase is sponsored by Verizon Wireless. Sohh.com is the official Media Partner.

Source: www.yoraps.com
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Prince Paul & "Ill Out Show" Celebrate The Culture
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 09:06:09 AM »
When I used to subscribe to XM, I listened to that show all the time. It is definitely an entertaining show and you learn some things about the history of hip hop as well. Prince Paul is a legend, he's the one responsible for De La Soul's classic records.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels