Author Topic: So Has Redman Retired Or What?  (Read 638 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
So Has Redman Retired Or What?
« on: October 16, 2006, 03:07:36 PM »
We are going on what?  5 and 1/2 years since his last album?  What the hell is that?  It's not like it takes him that long to make an album he was releasing one every other year.  What the fuck is going on with him?

The Watcher

Re: So Has Redman Retired Or What?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 03:11:57 PM »
fuck def jam
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

everlast1986

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 05:22:14 PM »
Question: Why hasn't 'Red Gone Wild' been released yet?

Answer: Jay-Z's lack of giving a fuck about hip hop artists on Def Jam besides himself

What really pisses me off about him is he releases 2 Rihanna albums in 1 year not on Def Soul but DEF JAM. Then he releases Method Mans album with no promotion, no single, and no video.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 06:11:22 PM »
Jay-z is the worst president ever, he doesnt give a shit about a great rapper like Redman or Method Man, he likes to spend his time instead promoting the shitty artist's that he does.  Camel couldnt run a label right if his life depended on it, Dame was always the brains behind the operation and now without Dame we are seeing first hand how terrible Camel is at trying to run a label. 

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 07:13:28 PM »
Jay-z is the worst president ever, he doesnt give a shit about a great rapper like Redman or Method Man, he likes to spend his time instead promoting the shitty artist's that he does.  Camel couldnt run a label right if his life depended on it, Dame was always the brains behind the operation and now without Dame we are seeing first hand how terrible Camel is at trying to run a label. 

Yeah cuz Dame has released crazy albums on his new label...

But yeah it's unbelievable that Red is MIA.  I'm guessing Red doesn't suck as good a dick as Rihanna so he's not gonna get released.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 07:19:17 PM »

But yeah it's unbelievable that Red is MIA.  I'm guessing Red doesn't suck as good a dick as Rihanna so he's not gonna get released.
lol, everyone knows most of Camel's success was due to the brains of Dame, everyone knows that.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 08:03:02 PM »

lol, everyone knows most of Camel's success was due to the brains of Dame, everyone knows that.

Really?  Whats your proof?  I ain't defending Jay at all, cuz I don't know who's the better business man.  But I'm pretty sure Dame hasn't released jack shit post-ROC.  So whats your fuckin evidence that Dame was the brains behind the ROC?

Sikotic™

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »
Someone refresh me on the whole deal Dame got. How much did he get paid for selling off his part of the ROC?

I haven't seen him do anything with music lately, he's probably building up a new cmpany, but he's produced a few movies. One movie that was really good was the Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon, Eve, and a few other good actors.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »
he put out the last beenie seigel cd. and he got a deal on koch, gettin that gwop.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:37:17 PM »
Someone refresh me on the whole deal Dame got. How much did he get paid for selling off his part of the ROC?

I haven't seen him do anything with music lately, he's probably building up a new cmpany, but he's produced a few movies. One movie that was really good was the Woodsman starring Kevin Bacon, Eve, and a few other good actors.

Also Don't forget about Kareem "Biggs" Burke.  He was also a silent partner at the Roc.

Got this from AHH:

Damon Dash is severing business ties with formers partners including Jay-Z and is selling his stake in Rocawear back to partners for $22 million dollars.
Rocawear was established in 1999 and has grossed over $500 million dollars since its inception.“Rocawear was my point of view, a Harlem swagger," Dash told AllHipHop.com of the sale. "They gave me $30 million and 75% of Team Roc. I'm real happy with the deal. I got $22.5 million in cash and the rest in companies (like State Property, Team Roc, Pro-Keds and other entities)."

Rumors of Dash making an exit from the Roc brand started to circulate shortly after Dash and Jay-Z sold Roc-A-Fella Records in 2004, a venture which they established in 1995

By the late 1990’s, Roc-A-Fella Records was raking in over $50 million dollars annually, releasing hit records by Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Memphis Bleek and others.

In 1997, Island Def Jam bought a 50% stake in the label for $1.5 million. The success helped launch Rocawear and Roc-A-Fella Films in 1999, Dash Films in 2001 and Armadale Vodka in 2002.

The label was sold back to Def Jam in 2004 amid rumors of a rift between Dash and superstar rapper and co-CEO Jay-Z.

The remaining 50% stake in Roc-A-Fella Records was acquired for $10 million dollars, giving Island Def Jam, a unit of Universal, 100 % ownership of the label.

So he got $22.5MIL in cash for Rocawear, as well as ownership of a few other entities.  $22.5MIL ain't nothin to fuck with, but you'd think a company that was grossing over $500MIL would net him a bigger check, imo.

Rocafella records is 100% owned by Island / Def Jam, not Jay, Biggs, or Dame.

I wasn't aware of that movie that Dame put out.  When I spoke that Dame hadn't done shit, it was in the sense of music that his new label DDMG had done, which wasn't much of anything.

Narrator

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 08:40:48 PM »

I'm sorry to break it to ya son, but that don't make Jay-Z a "bad" president...on the contrary, it means that Hov is prioritizing artists who can SELL RECORDS, which makes him a smart businessman.  I mean, let's face it...I hate seeing Method Man not getting more promotion, but even when he put out his last album in '04, it sold terribly and it got plenty of promotion.  Dude hasn't made shit dope in years now, not since the original "Tical", IMO...it's no surprise to me he's fallen off and ain't selling like he was back when Wu Tang was at the height of their power.

But Jay has discovered a lot of new artists that have sold well - like Rihanna, Jeezy, Bobby Valentino, and Rick Ross - and he's overseen other established artists putting out successful records (like Kanye and Luda).  Plus you know he's gonna make himself go multi-Plat and chances are he'll do well with Nas and Fabolous.  Shit, even Dipset fans gotta hand it to him for helping Juelz go Platinum last year.  So is he really such a bad president?  I dunno if he's all that great, but he seems to be doing OK for himself.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:42:31 PM by Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson »

Sweet & Tender Hooligan

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 08:58:20 PM »
Camel = Dame and Biggs bitch for years  :D

Bleak = flop.
Gunnerz = flop
freeway = mia
method man = flop
ghostface = (undeserved) flop
Rhianna = 2 hit singles and still no platinum plaque.
Tiara Mari = flop
Kanye = could constantly break wind for an hour and a half and still sell records.
Bobby V = Gold, with a hit single and a guest spot with Luda, should have done better.
Jeezy and Rick Ross = Inexplicably sold records, obviosly only in the south though.
Redman = mia
Fab = mia

Defjam is dead.

The Maestro

Narrator

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 09:36:07 PM »
Bleak = flop.
Gunnerz = flop
freeway = mia
method man = flop

True.

ghostface = (undeserved) flop

On Def Jam Left, which means less promotion and lower budget; still hit Top 10 and sold decently considering the investment.

Same for The Roots, BTW.

Rhianna = 2 hit singles and still no platinum plaque.

She's been Platinum for a while now...check the RIAA site again.

Kanye = could constantly break wind for an hour and a half and still sell records.

But it was partially his association with Jay-Z that got him to that point in the first place.

Bobby V = Gold, with a hit single and a guest spot with Luda, should have done better.

Gold is never bad unless you're like Michael Jackson and spend $30 million making the album.

Jeezy and Rick Ross = Inexplicably sold records, obviosly only in the south though.

Yeah, and Jeezy sold more than Cam did when he was on the Roc, and Rick Ross went Gold.  Does it matter where they got it from?

Redman = mia
Fab = mia

We'll have to see when they come out, tho I dunno where you got that about Fab.  Is there any indication of label troubles with him?

Defjam is dead.

I'm surprised you forgot about your homeboy Juelz, who went Gold (and almost Plat) on Def Jam just one year ago.  His album sold more than the leader of his own crew, and he's now only the 2nd person in Dipset to get a plaque.  And he did with Jigga's help, which is exactly what Cam didn't have this time around with "Killa Seasoin"...coincidence?  I think not.

And anyway, Def Jam is definitely not dead.  What you don't seem to understand is that labels sign dozens of artists and put out lots of albums every year in the hope that a few of them will become successful.  Just look at how many albums Atlantic has put out this year that flopped, for example.  That's how the business works.  There is nothing unusual about Jigga's hits-to-flops ratio as Def Jam's prez.

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 09:41:06 PM »

Yeah, and Jeezy sold more than Cam did when he was on the Roc, and Rick Ross went Gold.  Does it matter where they got it from?

jeezy only went platinum and cam has a gold(purple haze) and a plat(come home with me) on the roc

Narrator

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 09:52:11 PM »
jeezy only went platinum and cam has a gold(purple haze) and a plat(come home with me) on the roc

Billboard's article today says Jeezy sold 1.7 million.  They may both have plaques, but did Cam get that high?  Remember you can sell 900K and still go Platinum if you've shipped 1 million records.