Author Topic: The South Is Mad At Nas  (Read 9689 times)

BuddenzNasir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The South Is Mad At Nas
« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2006, 09:01:58 AM »
SGV...i don't care about the SOUTH AS A WHOLE, and I do not care about the Origins of crunk or get buck music itself. I really don't give a fuck. I was simply stating, thats whatever Efrain was reffering to as his preference of music, is what i can agree with him on. No doubt that the south as a whole, is something your explaining. But i also don't care. For some reason though this makes us uneducated? You're smart, but pretty ignorant. Some people dont give a fuck about the whole south and the arguments of the origins of crunk, like me =].

everlast1986

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2006, 09:22:03 AM »
wow this argument looks like a waste of time lol

SGV

« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2006, 09:25:09 AM »
Dude... Why are you even in this? LOL. I don't want to have to get into another 7 pages schooling someone else... Plain and simple. If you have a problem with Lil Jon and Ying Yang Twins... Cool. But, don't stereotype the entire South because of that. THAT makes you uneducated.

Narrator

« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2006, 09:31:49 AM »
My God...

Efrain just does not know when to quit, does he?  From using Wikipedia to try and prove his points (which winds up just proving his ignorance instead) to misquoting people...ugh.  This fool needs to learn when to put a sock in it.

The thing that's most retarded to me is that he continues to argue about the complexity of G-Funk compared to Crunk.  Hey, Efrain, since you're into using Wikipedia to prove your points, have you seen what it says about G-Funk?

This genre was characterized by a generally hedonistic subject matter including violence, sex, and drug use, and a slurred “lazy drawl” that sacrificed lyrical complexity for clarity and rhythmic cadence.

Prior to the success of The Chronic, prominent groups of the golden age of hip hop such as Public Enemy and Native Tongues Posse, embraced more socially aware issues such as drug abuse, poverty, racism, and African American empowerment. Whereas rappers utilizing the G-funk sound essentially rapped about the gangsta subject matter that Dre's former group, N.W.A, had helped bring to the mainstream in the late 1980s. This led to some criticism from hip hop purists, who accused these rappers of "dumbing down" rap. In 1994, Chicago rapper Common released the song "I Used to Love H.E.R." on his album Resurrection; the track essentially summed up the sentiments of hip-hop purists, and received notable attention in the underground. It was this disillusionment with mainstream hip hop that led certain hip hop critics to enthusiastically embrace East Coast albums such as Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, The Wu-Tang Clan's Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (see 1993 in music), and Nas's and The Notorious B.I.G.'s respective debuts: Illmatic and Ready to Die (see 1994 in music). These successive releases were hailed as the beginning of an East Coast hip hop renaissance, that later included albums such as Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, The Infamous, Doe Or Die, and Reasonable Doubt. Ready to Die, in particular, established Bad Boy Records as a significant competitor against the West Coast hip hop scene led by Death Row Records.

BuddenzNasir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2006, 10:00:24 AM »
Dude... Why are you even in this? LOL. I don't want to have to get into another 7 pages schooling someone else... Plain and simple. If you have a problem with Lil Jon and Ying Yang Twins... Cool. But, don't stereotype the entire South because of that. THAT makes you uneducated.

Im still not talking bout the south as a whole....rofl?

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2006, 10:46:49 AM »
My God...

Efrain just does not know when to quit, does he?  From using Wikipedia to try and prove his points (which winds up just proving his ignorance instead) to misquoting people...ugh.  This fool needs to learn when to put a sock in it.

The thing that's most retarded to me is that he continues to argue about the complexity of G-Funk compared to Crunk.  Hey, Efrain, since you're into using Wikipedia to prove your points, have you seen what it says about G-Funk?

This genre was characterized by a generally hedonistic subject matter including violence, sex, and drug use, and a slurred “lazy drawl” that sacrificed lyrical complexity for clarity and rhythmic cadence.

Prior to the success of The Chronic, prominent groups of the golden age of hip hop such as Public Enemy and Native Tongues Posse, embraced more socially aware issues such as drug abuse, poverty, racism, and African American empowerment. Whereas rappers utilizing the G-funk sound essentially rapped about the gangsta subject matter that Dre's former group, N.W.A, had helped bring to the mainstream in the late 1980s. This led to some criticism from hip hop purists, who accused these rappers of "dumbing down" rap. In 1994, Chicago rapper Common released the song "I Used to Love H.E.R." on his album Resurrection; the track essentially summed up the sentiments of hip-hop purists, and received notable attention in the underground. It was this disillusionment with mainstream hip hop that led certain hip hop critics to enthusiastically embrace East Coast albums such as Black Moon's Enta Da Stage, The Wu-Tang Clan's Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (see 1993 in music), and Nas's and The Notorious B.I.G.'s respective debuts: Illmatic and Ready to Die (see 1994 in music). These successive releases were hailed as the beginning of an East Coast hip hop renaissance, that later included albums such as Only Built 4 Cuban Linx, The Infamous, Doe Or Die, and Reasonable Doubt. Ready to Die, in particular, established Bad Boy Records as a significant competitor against the West Coast hip hop scene led by Death Row Records.

So according to wikipedia, g funk artists destroyed hiphop...

Narrator

« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2006, 10:47:44 AM »
My God...

So according to wikipedia, g funk artists destroyed hiphop...

Yeah, basically.  Yet this is the same site that Efrain uses to defend his position that Crunk = bad, but G-Funk = good.

Efrain

« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2006, 11:27:57 AM »
SGV...i don't care about the SOUTH AS A WHOLE, and I do not care about the Origins of crunk or get buck music itself. I really don't give a fuck. I was simply stating, thats whatever Efrain was reffering to as his preference of music, is what i can agree with him on. No doubt that the south as a whole, is something your explaining. But i also don't care. For some reason though this makes us uneducated? You're smart, but pretty ignorant. Some people dont give a fuck about the whole south and the arguments of the origins of crunk, like me =].

Thank you, that’s all I’m trying to say here. Crunk isn’t all of southern rap, it isn’t all of the dirty south, it is its own unique exclusive brand.. that’s all.

Clearly this is an uphill battle and most of the people checking in with this thread have their minds made up on the subject so I suppose that really leaves me talking to the wall here (or casting pearls before swine) so I’ll take the hint the argument isn’t being heard and move on.

SGV, you’ve show me quotes from Three Six saying they pioneered the sound and have made some Crunk “type” records. So answer me this then, honestly. How do those two statements contradict the pervious ones where they said they are fine with “Lil Jon being the king of Crunk” and their overall style of music was never called Crunk?

In the quotes you showed me Three Six Mafia never said they were Crunk and they never said Lil Jon inst the king so how does that disprove the aforementioned statements?   

I’m not even trying to be argumentative or even coy at this point I’m just wondering how you came to reconcile those.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:04:41 PM by Efrain »

SGV

« Reply #173 on: November 05, 2006, 08:21:39 PM »

Im still not talking bout the south as a whole....rofl?

That's called a generality idiot. It was aimed at anyone who tries to stereotype the South by using a handfull of artists. You're impossible.

Thank you, that’s all I’m trying to say here. Crunk isn’t all of southern rap, it isn’t all of the dirty south, it is its own unique exclusive brand.. that’s all.

Nobody is saying Crunk is South Rap. LOL. Where are you getting that from? Are you seriously dumb?

Clearly this is an uphill battle and most of the people checking in with this thread have their minds made up on the subject so I suppose that really leaves me talking to the wall here (or casting pearls before swine) so I’ll take the hint the argument isn’t being heard and move on.

SGV, you’ve show me quotes from Three Six saying they pioneered the sound and have made some Crunk “type” records. So answer me this then, honestly. How do those two statements contradict the pervious ones where they said they are fine with “Lil Jon being the king of Crunk” and their overall style of music was never called Crunk?

In the quotes you showed me Three Six Mafia never said they were Crunk and they never said Lil Jon inst the king so how does that disprove the aforementioned statements?   

I’m not even trying to be argumentative or even coy at this point I’m just wondering how you came to reconcile those.

Efrain, what you don't get is this: You're the only one trying to fight this battle. You've been beat. Everyone's agreed. But you continue. It's like beating a dead horse with you.

What does Lil Jon being the King of Crunk have to do with anything? You keep bringing that up like it's proving something. Yeah, so Paul has no problem with Lil Jon being called the King of Crunk. He's humble enough to not care. But, he obviously wants the credit for Pioneering Crunk music. Yes, we ALL know Memphis Rap was called Buck music. But, as Juicy J stated, it changed from being called Buck to Crunk. Hence, the origin of Crunk is still Buck, which Three Six originated.

The fact that they called Lil Jon the King of Crunk has nothing to do with anything. The fact that they state they originated Crunk means the most, as it destroys everything you tried to say here. That means that they consider themselves Crunk and that they made Crunk before Lil Jon (which means there's another side to Crunk that you have no clue of).

Is English not your first language? Why can't you grasp anything here?

BuddenzNasir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2006, 10:09:46 PM »

generality? you were calling efrain and me uneducated. i think thats pretty specific on who you're talking to, but whatever

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2006, 10:12:26 PM »
southern rap is not crunk, crunk is not southern rap. they are different. a lot of crunk comes from the south, but not all of it. that hyphy shit is crunk. chamillionarie isnt crunk, lil wayne isnt either. hey are both from the osuth.

SGV

« Reply #176 on: November 06, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
Buddenz.. You're such an idiot! This is the last time I'll explain this to you:

You, nor Efrain apparently, have the knowledge of Crunk Music, or even the bigger picture, Southern Hip Hop, to know what's really going on. You guys don't know the history. But, you guys are trying to converse about it. That makes YOU (meaning, anyone who does this action) uneducated.

Noname

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #177 on: November 06, 2006, 02:49:35 PM »
I would like to know SGV, whats real rap/hiphop according to you?

Efrain

« Reply #178 on: November 06, 2006, 04:12:58 PM »
What does Lil Jon being the King of Crunk have to do with anything?

Lil Jon being the king of Crunk has everything to do with everything.

If Lil Jon is the undisputed “King of Crunk” by his peers in Southern rap and by the fans that support the music then he; at the very least, represents the majority of the Crunk music hip-hop sub-genre. And if Lil Jon (being the representative of the majority of Crunk) says the music is for the clubs, only for the clubs and that he could really care less about lyrics, complexity or anything else that doesn’t get the club excited then it is a fair statement that the majority of Crunk music is devoid of those musical and artistic elements the artists themselves admit aren’t there.

You have argued with me tooth and nail about that. For what?, it is a true statement. Now is ALL of “Crunk” music like that? Maybe not (I’ve never heard otherwise but I’ll take your word for it) and is all of southern rap lacking the musical elements that Crunk admits to lacking? Abso-fucking-lutely not. That’s my entire point.

Now when we talk about g-funk being (or not being) comparable to Crunk all I’m saying is g-funk contained more musical elements and is more dynamic in versatility than Crunk. That’s it. Is g-funk better? No! No one can answer that it’s a musical preference. Could g-funk be played in a wider variety of listening venues? Well, I would argue that point is debatable. That’s all.

It would seem to me that you are reasonably bright and have a fair working knowledge of hip-hop and rap. So why reduce yourself to arguing for the artistic merits of a musical sub-genre its own artists admit it lacks?

I’ll concede your point that more than likely not every single artist making “Crunk” records is as homogenized as the majority, that’s fine I can see that. But the reality is that the majority of Crunk as a whole is in fact designed for the clubs and limited in that regard. Lil Jon said it, he is the undeniable "King of Crunk" and the representative for the majority and that’s just how it is.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 04:48:37 PM by Efrain »

BuddenzNasir

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2006, 06:19:38 PM »
Buddenz.. You're such an idiot! This is the last time I'll explain this to you:

You, nor Efrain apparently, have the knowledge of Crunk Music, or even the bigger picture, Southern Hip Hop, to know what's really going on. You guys don't know the history. But, you guys are trying to converse about it. That makes YOU (meaning, anyone who does this action) uneducated.

ROFL? i did not even debate you, nor do i need to. So sad how your now attacking me after i question you. Someone is a little sensitive. Mr smart guy just cant take a simple comment here n there? How was i trying to converse anything? you wanna defend a topic beyond anything i mentioned. Eh, but sure you are right, im a huge idiot. lmao