Author Topic: The South Is Mad At Nas  (Read 9725 times)

Diabolical

Re: The South Is Mad At Nas
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2006, 06:34:10 PM »

Atleast the West was putting out decent music, D4L and that will not be looked back on in 10 years and be enjoyed or called innovative and this is coming from someone who ha basically stopped listening to most west coast hip-hop.

According to you though. Sure you would say the West was putting out good music, you were a fan then. But for everyone person who thinks that the West was putting out hot shit, there's about 10 East Coast dudes that thought it was garbage. I'm sure most of us thought MC Eiht was dope. I'm sure almost all East Coast cats laughed at this dude. They probably all said the same exact thing you just said "10 years from now, he won't be enjoyed or called innovative."

See, you dudes keep naming the same people: D4L and Mike Jones. That's not the South. That's 2 artists out of 1,000's.

I'm not calling MC Eiht innovative either, there was atleast some dope stuff from the west coast just like there is some dope stuff from the south so it's not like I'm hating on all of the region like the people you're reffering too. This thread was about shitty groups like D4L and the Dutty Boys that's why they're mentioned. I love Hip-Hop from the South and I bet Nas does too.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2006, 07:43:02 PM »
This is what is retarded to me.  Ignorant ass people saying "The south ain't hip hop, The west ain't hip hop, New York ain't hip hop any more".  The south has some of the worst so called "hip hop" out.  But they've also had some of the dopest hip hop out as well - Outkast, Cee-lo, UGK, Geto Boys, etc.  New York has put out some HORRIBLE shit excuse for hip hop in the last few years, and it has also managed to put out some really dope shit recently as well.

Anybody that tries to pigeonhole a sound just because it comes from a particular region is a fuckin idiot.  Don't hold an entire part of the country responsible because of Laffy Taffy.  Hold the motherfuckers that buy that shit and bump it responsible.  Don't say the south is wack or isn't hip hop because they have some wack shit that is getting some exposure.  Fuck D4L but not the south. 

I'd say the south is THE most hated on region in hip hop right now, but it's also because the perception is that anything from the south gets exposure.  And the funny part is that while other regions may hate on it, they directly bite that shit to try tap into that fanbase.  It's ridiculous.  Let whoever is reppin the south do their own style.  Respect it and move on.  Don't bite it, understand and do your own style of hip hop.  Thats what is wack to me - when peeps from their own respective areas dump their own livestyle and try to jump on what they think is a southern style acceptable music and try to pimp that cuz thats whats hot at the moment.  What kind of frontin ass shit is that?  But that would mean there would have to be some originality, and fuck, originality is hip hop's worst nightmare today.

Hip Hop limits itself so much because it is on some retarded ass turf war on a national scale.  If they could embrace each other and say "Yes, the south is doing their thing, East does theirs, West does theirs"  it would be gravy.  Let the south be themselves.  Instead of bitching about it, come with your own unique style and PROVE that your style is superior or should at least be respected on the same level.  Don't bite their style to try to pimp some record sales.  shit is wack.

Oh yeah and whoever this 'DJ' (and I use the term loosely) that caught feelings over Nas' comments needs to check himself.  I don't think Nas said anyone in particular, so if he's gettin defensive than Nas must have struck a chord with him.  Sounds like he's got a guilty conscience. 

WestCoasta

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2006, 08:06:04 PM »
what is wack to me - when peeps from their own respective areas dump their own livestyle and try to jump on what they think is a southern style acceptable music and try to pimp that cuz thats whats hot at the moment.

*cough* Too Short and E-40 *cough*

SGV

« Reply #63 on: October 22, 2006, 12:26:35 AM »

I'm not calling MC Eiht innovative either, there was atleast some dope stuff from the west coast just like there is some dope stuff from the south so it's not like I'm hating on all of the region like the people you're reffering too. This thread was about shitty groups like D4L and the Dutty Boys that's why they're mentioned. I love Hip-Hop from the South and I bet Nas does too.

This thread isn't about D4L or any of these groups. It's about "the South being mad at Nas." But, it swayed to a topic that found people using the stereotypical defenses to oppose the South: "So and so isn't Hip Hop." As if they're authorities and what is an isn't Hip Hop.

Like dude said earlier, all you dudes is doing is exactly what you WHINED ABOUT (and sometimes still do) when the East did it to the West Coast. Instead of looking at a region as a whole, you single out only the "popular" artists. Why not single out Chamillionaire? Why not single out T.I.?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2006, 01:48:00 AM »
what is wack to me - when peeps from their own respective areas dump their own livestyle and try to jump on what they think is a southern style acceptable music and try to pimp that cuz thats whats hot at the moment.

*cough* Too Short and E-40 *cough*

Have you ever even listened to either of them before? They been fuckin with the South for hela moons before the South was "the thing." In fact they played a big part in putting the South on. We fuck with the South and they fuck with us. Its always been like that.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2006, 04:02:38 AM »
all i know is

in 10 years people will still be talking about Illmatic, It was Written, and Stillmatic in higher regards than the music of today

and in 10 years most people won't even remember 95% of the artist's names from all the club-hit-de-joirs out there today

so again, nas has more of a right to speak on the current state of hip hop then some black forrest gumps,lol

i don't care how hot your music is NOW , imo it's how how hot your music remains

can someone name some songs average songs that were hot 10 years ago? and if they can , how well they stand up today?

ex:
"i wish" skee lo...........tight song back in the day right? put it on now what would happen

imagine having this argument 10 years ago with west coast fans and Rakim heads

'oh rakim ain't put out nothin importnat in years , everyone points to paid in full, but that stuffs OLD, what is he doing now?"

^ LOL   

whatever....all i know is the numbers speak for themselves % wise, hip hop's numbers are down in sales figures, and it's falling harder then ever. hip hop 2006 , the heir to 80's hair metal
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 04:13:08 AM by Don Jacob »

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Diabolical

« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2006, 07:36:00 AM »
This thread isn't about D4L or any of these groups. It's about "the South being mad at Nas." But, it swayed to a topic that found people using the stereotypical defenses to oppose the South: "So and so isn't Hip Hop." As if they're authorities and what is an isn't Hip Hop.

Like dude said earlier, all you dudes is doing is exactly what you WHINED ABOUT (and sometimes still do) when the East did it to the West Coast. Instead of looking at a region as a whole, you single out only the "popular" artists. Why not single out Chamillionaire? Why not single out T.I.?

It is about these groups because maybe if you actually read the thread and watched the video you'd know that it's about the Dutty Boys because they're in the god damn video.
And 4/5 people represent the whole of the south? I'm not even going to comment on anything else after that.

ABN

« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2006, 09:07:23 AM »
south cant match the east or west when it comes to quality artists.
LMAO
Grace,Z-Ro,Trae,Dougie D,Fat Pat,Hawk,K-Rino,Gangsta Nip,T.I.,Andre 3000,Big Boi,Killer Mike,The D.O.C.,MAC,ESG,Scarface,Gipp,Trick Daddy,Lil Wayne etc etc aren´t good enough? i could name another 30 dope rappers from the south and the west coast definently can´t match that. especially since all of these WC artists are from the south originally(Daz,Snoop,Nate etc).

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2006, 10:16:12 AM »
all i know is

in 10 years people will still be talking about Illmatic, It was Written, and Stillmatic in higher regards than the music of today

and in 10 years most people won't even remember 95% of the artist's names from all the club-hit-de-joirs out there today

so again, nas has more of a right to speak on the current state of hip hop then some black forrest gumps,lol

i don't care how hot your music is NOW , imo it's how how hot your music remains

can someone name some songs average songs that were hot 10 years ago? and if they can , how well they stand up today?

ex:
"i wish" skee lo...........tight song back in the day right? put it on now what would happen

'oh rakim ain't put out nothin importnat in years , everyone points to paid in full, but that stuffs OLD, what is he doing now?"

^ LOL   

whatever....all i know is the numbers speak for themselves % wise, hip hop's numbers are down in sales figures, and it's falling harder then ever. hip hop 2006 , the heir to 80's hair metal

All valid points.  I was watching that VH1 Hip Hop Honors the other night.  They're celebrating artists that made numerous memorable contributions to hip hop, and I'm sitting there thinking "From artists that have broke in say the last 5 years, who could I see being honored in this fashion?" 

Honestly, very few have much if any chance in my opinion.  Most mainstream artists don't have a whole lot of potential to grow - their ceiling isn't very high, they're pretty disposable.  They might make a couple of hot songs, but they're not really bringing anything new to the table. 

And they can dis Nas all they want, but his music will still be bumped and regarded as some of the best hip hop ever - long after their fad club shit is played the fuck out.

Narrator

« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
all i know is

ex:

^ LOL   

All valid points.  I was watching that VH1 Hip Hop Honors the other night.  They're celebrating artists that made numerous memorable contributions to hip hop, and I'm sitting there thinking "From artists that have broke in say the last 5 years, who could I see being honored in this fashion?" 

Honestly, very few have much if any chance in my opinion.  Most mainstream artists don't have a whole lot of potential to grow - their ceiling isn't very high, they're pretty disposable.  They might make a couple of hot songs, but they're not really bringing anything new to the table. 

And they can dis Nas all they want, but his music will still be bumped and regarded as some of the best hip hop ever - long after their fad club shit is played the fuck out.

The thing is, it's not as if there wasn't a lot of club music with limited depth back then, either.  I mean...whenever anyone talks about the 90s, it's always the same group of albums - "The Chronic", "Doggystyle", "Illmatic", "36 Chambers", "Ready To Die", "E 1999 Eternal", "All Eyez On Me", etc.  Yeah, they're all classics that are still bumped and still talked about today.  But they do not represent the quality of the majority of what came out in the 90s.  Look at The Luniz - "I Got 5 On It" was pretty much THE hottest club joint of '95-'96, but does anyone except West Coast heads remember them now?  Anyone remember when you couldn't go anywhere without hearing "Gangsta Lean" by D.R.S.?  Volume-10 with "Pistol Grip Pump"?  Those cats ain't remembered at all today.  Shit, the G-Funk era as a whole was pretty much disposable - look at all the LBC groups like The Twinz and the Dove Shack and Foesum that came out in the mid-90s, had minor hits on the radio, and have since been forgotten.  Who in the West that was at the top of the charts in the early- to mid-90s is remembered today except for Dre, Cube, Eazy, Snoop, and Pac? (and remember, this ain't West Coast fans I'm talking bout)

The one thing I will say is that classic albums are becoming harder and harder to find.  Like Phonte has said many times, this generation hasn't had an "Illmatic" yet.  But there are still plenty of memorable artists from the last 5 years who WILL be remembered.  50 Cent will be remembered, whether y'all like it or not (the rest of G-Unit and Game, on the other hand...).  So will Kanye, Luda, Eminem (a lil more than 5 years, but still close), and even cats most of us hate like Nelly and BEP.  The underground has produced plenty of dope, memorable artists as well, like Mos Def and Talib and now Little Brother.  And then of course, there have been plenty of artists that were hot in the 90s and have remained hot (or in some cases gotten BETTER) today, like Jigga, Snoop, Outkast, Common, The Roots, etc.

So don't worry, the Hip-Hop Honors will have people to call on stage in another 10 years.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 11:24:01 AM by Ellsworth "Bumpy" Johnson »

SGV

« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2006, 11:27:15 AM »

It is about these groups because maybe if you actually read the thread and watched the video you'd know that it's about the Dutty Boys because they're in the god damn video.
And 4/5 people represent the whole of the south? I'm not even going to comment on anything else after that.

The video isn't only about the "Dutty" (supposed to be Durtty) Boys. It's not only about D4L. If YOU watched the video, smarty, you would know they mention D4L, Dem Franchise Boys, Jeezy, T.I., Outkast... So, like I said, you dudes are singling out just a select few. Step your game up.

Jacob: That may be true for "Older" Hip Hop heads. But, the kids that are listening to Hip Hop today will still be talking about shit like "King," "Thug Motivation," "College Dropout" etc. etc. You're looking at it from an older heads perspective. Just like I'm sure cats from the early 80s thought shit from the late 80s early 90s was wack. And so on. When coming from YOUR Golden Era of Hip Hop, everything else sounds wack.

Diabolical

« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2006, 12:08:37 PM »
Just because they get name checked doesn't mean they agree with what's being said.

SGV

« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »
Do you even know what's being said? How could they disagree with the truth?

In a nut shell, the video is about Nas saying Hip Hop Is Dead, while Atlanta artists are all on top. Which is true... T.I., Jeezy, Luda, D4L, DFB, JD, Youngbloodz, Lil Jon, etc. are all controlling the mainstream for the past year or so. How could T.I., Jeezy or even Outkast disagree with whats right in front of them? Is Atlanta NOT at the top of the game, Mainstream wise? Name another city with more hits at the CURRENT moment.

Seriously, are YOU even paying attention to what this threads about? You're trying to dictate to me what it's about, but I don't think you've watched this video close enough, nor do you know anything about Southern Hip Hop to even begin to scratch the surface of this topic.

Diabolical

« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2006, 12:27:56 PM »
I'm pretty sure we had all agreed that the meaning of Nas' album title wasn't that Hip-Hop music was dead.

SGV

« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2006, 12:46:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure we had all agreed that the meaning of Nas' album title wasn't that Hip-Hop music was dead.

Uh... These guys are taking it as Nas is talking about Hip Hop Music being dead. Seriously, what are you watching? LOL. First you're talking about the video, then you're talking about something else.