Author Topic: The South Is Mad At Nas  (Read 9573 times)

fptz

Re: The South Is Mad At Nas
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2006, 01:08:24 PM »
I'm pretty sure we had all agreed that the meaning of Nas' album title wasn't that Hip-Hop music was dead.

Uh... These guys are taking it as Nas is talking about Hip Hop Music being dead. Seriously, what are you watching? LOL. First you're talking about the video, then you're talking about something else.

That's the problem. These rappers are mad, though they don't even understand what Nas is saying. Hardly worthy of the discussion, but it's been going for 3 pages already :D

SGV

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2006, 01:47:31 PM »
Its their interpretation. But its not like they don't have reason to think that way. With all this "On My NY Shit" going around, emcees and DJs aren't  trying to give the South their props anymore as they're  trying to bring it back to NY. Call it paranoia on the part of certain Southern rappers, but the "threat" is there.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2006, 03:07:59 AM »

It is about these groups because maybe if you actually read the thread and watched the video you'd know that it's about the Dutty Boys because they're in the god damn video.
And 4/5 people represent the whole of the south? I'm not even going to comment on anything else after that.

Jacob: That may be true for "Older" Hip Hop heads. But, the kids that are listening to Hip Hop today will still be talking about shit like "King," "Thug Motivation," "College Dropout" etc. etc. You're looking at it from an older heads perspective. Just like I'm sure cats from the early 80s thought shit from the late 80s early 90s was wack. And so on. When coming from YOUR Golden Era of Hip Hop, everything else sounds wack.

outside of the chronic and doggystyle  most of those classics were relatively unknown to me til i got deeper within hip hop

true kids will remember albums like king thug motivation . , just like old school heads remember whodini and west coast heads will remember coolio , BUT what i'm saying is what SIGNIFICANT album has come out in the last 5 years that a)has changed the game  and b)has left people outside of it's normal fan base wihout a shadow of a doubt that it's a classic ?

stankonia?
MMLP?
College drop out?
blueprint?
Stillmatic?

all are pretty tight albums and are arguably classic, but as "BIG" and as popular as rap is right now there is sure more disposable art than significant art

check it

you have bands from the 60's STILL selling albums and t-shirts from their debut albums. and it's not like it's just one band that's doing this, you've literally got damn near a hundred OLD ass bands/groups/artists who were around before some of our parents were born doing this. As of right now do you see many artists being inclined enough to do this? and i'm not just talking about rap i'm talking about all music today...for some reason music has started to become more and more stale since around 98', and it's not because i out grew music at that time, (shit i was like 13) i just notice now, looking at my ipod ....the quality of the music from 98' down, tapers.i'm not blaming the south mmaybe it's  political. with the government cutting funds for music education in public schools, this makes the children more and more ignorant to art. if people are becoming more and more musically ignorant , how do you expect them to MAKE quality music.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Ðøšïå

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2006, 09:53:52 AM »
can sum1 recommend to me some tight recent shit that has come out? the majority of the rap i dl nowadays pretty much sucks ass.

201-killer_mike-thats_life.mp3
202-killer_mike-dueces_wild.mp3

those are 2 tracks ive enjoyed listening to during the past week that are pretty cool.

Chief

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2006, 10:32:56 AM »
Nas has a point... hip-hop is dead... just because it's selling doesnt mean it's alive.... look at tupac.

8) 

da flayboyant 2

« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2006, 03:58:12 PM »
can sum1 recommend to me some tight recent shit that has come out? the majority of the rap i dl nowadays pretty much sucks ass.

201-killer_mike-thats_life.mp3
202-killer_mike-dueces_wild.mp3

those are 2 tracks ive enjoyed listening to during the past week that are pretty cool.
killer mike is that dude

kaptainslapaho

• 'G'
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2006, 06:41:44 PM »
all i know is

in 10 years people will still be talking about Illmatic, It was Written, and Stillmatic in higher regards than the music of today

and in 10 years most people won't even remember 95% of the artist's names from all the club-hit-de-joirs out there today

so again, nas has more of a right to speak on the current state of hip hop then some black forrest gumps,lol

i don't care how hot your music is NOW , imo it's how how hot your music remains

can someone name some songs average songs that were hot 10 years ago? and if they can , how well they stand up today?

ex:
"i wish" skee lo...........tight song back in the day right? put it on now what would happen

imagine having this argument 10 years ago with west coast fans and Rakim heads

'oh rakim ain't put out nothin importnat in years , everyone points to paid in full, but that stuffs OLD, what is he doing now?"

^ LOL   

whatever....all i know is the numbers speak for themselves % wise, hip hop's numbers are down in sales figures, and it's falling harder then ever. hip hop 2006 , the heir to 80's hair metal

I STILL BUMP THE I WISH SONG ONCE IN A WHILE. .
"BIRDS FLY UPSIDE DOWN OVER YOUR HEAD CAUSE YOU AINT WORTH SHITTING ON"

Efrain

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2006, 07:44:01 PM »
The bottom line is southern, but primarily "crunk" music is the lowest common denominator in appealing music; overly simplified, consistent instrumentation with lyrics devoid of anything that evokes sentiment, cognitive processing or reflection. When a person hears this type of music they react to it the same way you would the sound of the ocean or a busy city: soothing or jarring. It’s why so many Crunk artists yell and make animal noises, its because it doesn’t require any mental processing for the listener to absorb. In essence it’s easy listening hip-hop music, and while it may be popular it will never be remembered for the things it isn’t: highly musical, artistically redeeming and creatively innovative.

XaNdEr

« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2006, 01:02:09 AM »
The bottom line is southern, but primarily "crunk" music is the lowest common denominator in appealing music; overly simplified, consistent instrumentation with lyrics devoid of anything that evokes sentiment, cognitive processing or reflection. When a person hears this type of music they react to it the same way you would the sound of the ocean or a busy city: soothing or jarring. It's why so many Crunk artists yell and make animal noises, its because it doesn't require any mental processing for the listener to absorb. In essence it's easy listening hip-hop music, and while it may be popular it will never be remembered for the things it isn't: highly musical, artistically redeeming and creatively innovative.

LOL that sums it all up  8)

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2006, 01:49:15 PM »
bunch of ringtone rappers...  hip hop died few years back....

example.: lil boozie "zoom" song is wack....wtf?  We got non-intellectual rappers...rappin' about they hard...but in reality, they actin' sofa...
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Narrator

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2006, 03:23:47 PM »
The bottom line is southern, but primarily "crunk" music is the lowest common denominator in appealing music; overly simplified, consistent instrumentation with lyrics devoid of anything that evokes sentiment, cognitive processing or reflection. When a person hears this type of music they react to it the same way you would the sound of the ocean or a busy city: soothing or jarring. It’s why so many Crunk artists yell and make animal noises, its because it doesn’t require any mental processing for the listener to absorb. In essence it’s easy listening hip-hop music, and while it may be popular it will never be remembered for the things it isn’t: highly musical, artistically redeeming and creatively innovative.

If you say that about Crunk, you'd have to say it about G-Funk, too.

One of you "real hip-hop" crackers answer me this: Why does G-Funk get a free pass for being all about partying and smoking endo, but Crunk, which is about sipping sizzurp and partying, doesn't?

westkoastanostra

« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »

If you say that about Crunk, you'd have to say it about G-Funk, too.

One of you "real hip-hop" crackers answer me this: Why does G-Funk get a free pass for being all about partying and smoking endo, but Crunk, which is about sipping sizzurp and partying, doesn't?

Because this is a west coast forum

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2006, 09:52:02 AM »

STFU with that elitist bullshit. Have you heard Planet Rock? Wow that is one lyrical joint there, but it's regarded as a classic by everybody. What about Run DMC songs like Tricky? Another lyrical masterpiece, but it's regarded as a classic too, but you probably got into hip hop when Eminem came out so you don't know any better.

All crunk music is, or hyphy for that matter is party music, which has been a part of hip hop since Kool Herc. Study your history before commenting next time.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2006, 09:54:47 AM »
And one other thing, before any of yall get on that elitist tip again, do you remember what people used to say about hip hop back in the 80's? For those of you too young, they claimed that it wasn't real music, that it didn't take any talent, it was a gimmick that would play out, etc. This was back when Erick B and Rakim and Public Enemy were in their prime, guys all of us regard as legends. Think about that for a minute.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

SGV

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2006, 01:38:03 PM »

1. Snoop and Daz don't make any music that require mental processing for the listener to absorb. So, why are they not the lowest common denominator?

And, I guess these lyrics evoke sentiment, cognitive process or reflection, cuz you have Kurupt in your sig, as well.

[Kurupt]
West coast shit nigga
Overdosage - imperial pistols ferocious
Fuck a bitch; don't tease bitch, strip tease bitch
Eat a bowl of these bitch, gobble the dick
Hoes forgot to eat a dick can shut the fuck up!
Gobble and swallow a nut up, shut up and get my cash
Backhanded, pimpslapped backwards and left stranded
Just pop ya collar, pimp convention hoes for a dollar
Six-Deuce in a plush, six-deuce impala
Pimpin hoes from Texas to Guatemala
Bitch niggaz paid for hoes, just to lay wit hoes
Relax one night, and paid to stay wit hoes
Captain Save'Em all day (bitch) well save this dick
Bitch nigga, you more of a bitch than a bitch
You ain't into hittin pussy, or hittin the switch
You into hittin bitches off of the grip, you punk bitch

You guys are just haters that's all. You know nothing about Hip Hop, which is why you say the ignorant things you do.