Author Topic: Hitler Helped Invent Volkswagon  (Read 191 times)

ecrazy

Hitler Helped Invent Volkswagon
« on: October 15, 2006, 02:39:27 AM »
http://ask.yahoo.com/20050308.html

Did Hitler really invent the Volkswagen?
David
San Francisco, California
Dear David:
Well, not exactly invent, but Adolf Hitler was indeed the driving force behind the car. In the 1930s, cars cost more than most people earned in a year. When Hitler became the chancellor of Germany in 1933, he promoted the idea of a car affordable enough for the average working person. The Volkswagen, which means "people's car" in German, was essentially a political promise to win the public's goodwill.

Hitler met with automotive designer Ferdinand Porsche in 1933 and charged Porsche with creating the new car. The chancellor required that the Volkswagen carry two adults and three children, go up to 60 miles per hour, get at least 33 miles per gallon, and cost only 1,000 reichsmarks. Hitler may also have named the car the Beetle.

In 1938, Hitler had the KdF Wagen factory built to produce the cars designed by Porsche. But by the time the factory was complete, Hitler had invaded Czechoslovakia and Poland. The factory was dedicated to building military vehicles, and the people's car fell by the wayside during World War II.

After the war, the factory ended up in the British section of occupied Germany. The British military re-opened the factory, named it Volkswagen, and finally gave control of the company to the German government.

After 1948, Volkswagen introduced new models across Europe. By 1955, over 1 million cars had been built. The VW beetle started selling in the U.S., and in 1972 the people's car overtook the Ford Model T to become the most popular car ever made.

Sikotic™

Re: Hitler Helped Invent Volkswagon
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 03:01:34 AM »
I drive a Audi and that's part of VW ao I wanna thank Adolf.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

dexter

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 08:30:51 AM »
I drive a Audi and that's part of VW ao I wanna thank Adolf.
DAMN

Canuck

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 04:36:48 PM »
i thought everyone knew this

Raspass

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 10:34:18 PM »