Author Topic: 'Wii-beating' motion-sensing tech revealed  (Read 342 times)

Digital Pimpin'

'Wii-beating' motion-sensing tech revealed
« on: October 20, 2006, 05:47:51 AM »
If this takes off, it could change the shape of the next-gen battle.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=147911

Friday 20-Oct-2006 10:41 AM Exclusive videos of multiplatform motion-sensing tech heading for next-gen software

CVG made an interesting visit this week to check out the unique wireless motion sensor system 'codename fusion', a multiplatform device from In2Games that allows true motion sensor tracking in a 3D space.

The device works using sound waves and other technical wizardry, and is able to track the precise absolute position and orientation of various wireless accessories, such as golf clubs, tennis racquets, baseball bats and bowling balls.

Comparisons to the Nintendo Wii are inevitable, but after going hands-on with fusion we found that it offers a much more advanced means of control than Nintendo's forthcoming console. Unlike Wii, fusion is able to accurately track movements even when the controller is not pointed directly at the screen, so the precise swing of a club is recreated perfectly.

Advertisement:We were also shown a prototype PS2-style controller that broke in half, allowing you to use the separate pieces to make motion gestures and execute moves on screen. You can see this demonstrated fully in the videos below.

"It's great that the world is waking up to motion sensor gaming," says Elliott Myers, Managing Director, In2Games. "Since we launched the world's first 3D motion-sensing games back in 2004, we've been developing this system for the next generation. Our goal is to allow everyone to enjoy this wholly immersive way of playing games, regardless of which gaming platform they own.

"We've got the best technology, with incredible functionality allowing developers to produce exciting new games specifically for the system - taking advantage of its unique features - or to allow titles which use motion sensing to be published on any platform. It's an exceptional proposition - for the industry and for consumers. We can't wait to begin showing it off."

Fusion connects to consoles using USB, so potentially it could be incorporated in any number of platforms, although for the sports software In2Games says it's currently targeting next-gen consoles. Launch is planned for Q3 2007 and pricing will apparently be "sub-£30".

Check out our exclusive videos below to see this truly intriguing tech for yourself. Fortunately, we managed to edit out the moment when we accidentally hurled the tennis racquet at the screen.

Trauma-san

Re: 'Wii-beating' motion-sensing tech revealed
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 05:59:13 AM »
Motion-sensing has been around for a while now.  Remember, Nintendo invented it for home consoles with the power glove in 1986. 

Also, again, the technology is not the problem.  the Wii's controller isn't technologically incredibly sophisticated, it is the creativity and the disruptive marketing that O was talking about that makes the Wii special.  In other words, yes you can copy it, but you're falling into the trap.

O, don't you think it's funny that this is going down exactly how the guy was predicting it would with the disruptive marketing? 

Don Seer

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 05:59:21 AM »
^ yeah its funny :)

yeah i saw this.. i've noticed some flaws with their stuff..  incredibly short sighted.. they're trying to steal some wii thunder.. thats all..

each of their controllers is specific.. e.g. they have a full size tennis racket, a full size golf club etc..

what would you rather wave around in your house? something that fits n your hand, or something that only handles the virtualisation of the object through movement (and is more versatile).. thats the revolution with wii.. and they're missing the point.

see.. with the wii with golf.. i can stand just in front of my bed and play wii golf because there is no club shaft.. with this thing when i swing back it'd be hitting my bed..

same with wii tennis.. i can wave my arm around in my room sure.. but with a racket? it'd be hitting where my PC monitor is..

fact is.. this kinda of stuff already existed before wii as standalone products AND lots of wii type stuff has already been made for practically every console going back in time.. the difference now is.. wii has this movement tech out of the box.. so developers+publishers can guarantee there isn't a limited user base who have these devices.

the other thing is.. the wii doesn't have to be wave around like a maniac.. wii tennis can be played just by turning your wrist a bit.. to turn that huge racket for a backhand you've gotta do a full movment of the racket around...

btw trauma.. sorry but the power glove wasn't made by nintendo.. it was made by a 3rd party.. which was mattel.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 06:07:13 AM by Seer - San »

Trauma-san

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 06:02:01 AM »
... and as for "wii beating".... not on your life.  A good example of this is Nintendo's dominance of the handheld market for the past 15 years.  Several of those years, Nintendo was actually beating Sega, SNK, etc. with a handheld black and white screen! The gamegear was a much nicer system than the gameboy, but yet everybody wanted the gameboy.  Lots of reasons why; the games were more fun, the games were cheaper, the battery life was better, etc. 

It doesn't take a 'better' motion sensing device to beat the wii's controller.  That's a fallacy, because that's not why it's going to sell.  They're not going to sell tons of these systems because it has the most accurate motion sensing controller.  These people are missing the point. 

Don Seer

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 06:04:16 AM »
Back in thee day I got a gameboy over a game gear for 2 reasons. 1 battery life, 2 size.

and mario golf was the shit

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 06:05:04 AM »
Lol, I knew this article wouldn't last five minutes in here!

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:12 AM »
Bbvack in thee day Ii got a gameboy over a game gear for 2 reasons. 1 battery life, 2 size.

I think I was the only mofo with an Atari Lynx within a 10-mile radius. Wish I got a fucking gameboy.

Trauma-san

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 06:07:52 AM »
^ yeah its funny :)

yeah i saw this.. i've noticed some flaws with their stuff..  incredibly short sighted.. they're trying to steal some wii thunder.. thats all..

each of their controllers is specific.. e.g. they have a full size tennis racket, a full size golf club etc..

what would you rather wave around in your house? something that fits n your hand, or something that only handles the virtualisation of the object through movement (and is more versatile).. thats the revolution with wii.. and they're missing the point.

see.. with the wii with golf.. i can stand just in front of my bed and play wii golf because there is no club shaft.. with this thing when i swing back it'd be hitting my bed..

same with wii tennis.. i can wave my arm around in my room sure.. but with a racket? it'd be hitting where my PC monitor is..

fact is.. this kinda of stuff already existed before wii as standalone products AND lots of wii type stuff has already been made for practically every console going back in time.. the difference now is.. wii has this movment tech out of the box.. so developers+publishers can guarantee there isn't a limited user base who have these devices.

the other thing is.. the wii doesn't have to be wave around like a maniac.. wii tennis can be played just by turning your wrist a bit.. to turn that huge rackey for a backhand you've gotta do a full movment of the racket around...

btw trauma.. sorry but the power glove wasn't made by nintendo.. it was made by a 3rd party.. which was mattel.

My point was it was for the nintendo way back in the mid 80's.  Of course Nintendo didn't personally, Miyamoto-invent every nice thing ever released for the system.  Like a lot of Nintendo's ideas and hardware, it was invented by some brilliant people out of New York who met with Nintendo.  Nintendo signed a licensing agreement with the company, and then had Mattel (who was actually on the lo-lo distributing *ALL* of Nintendo's america stuff) distribute the glove after working on it a bit.  Ultimately, the glove idea went through Nintendo TO Mattel.  When I say Nintendo invented the vibe function, they likely just bought somebody else's idea.

The point of the whole thing is, Nintendo had the vision to realize it as a great gameplay device back in the mid 80's.  They've pretty consistantly released things at the right time and pioneered a lot of shit with their systems.