Author Topic: YouTube Deletes 30,000 Files After a Copyright Complaint  (Read 158 times)

Bomb-A®

YouTube Deletes 30,000 Files After a Copyright Complaint
« on: October 24, 2006, 11:13:53 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/technology/21youtube.html

TOKYO, Oct. 20 (AP) — The popular video-sharing site YouTube deleted nearly 30,000 files after a Japanese entertainment group complained of copyright infringement.

An official with the group — the Japan Society for Rights of Authors, Composers and Publishers — said Friday that the organization had found 29,549 video clips like television shows, music videos and movies posted on YouTube’s site without permission.

The official, Fumiyuki Asakura, said YouTube quickly complied with the request to remove the copyright materials, made on behalf of 23 Japanese TV stations and entertainment companies.

Most videos posted on YouTube are homemade, but the site also features copyright material posted by individuals. YouTube’s policy is to remove such clips after it receives complaints, though some have suggested that the start-up could eventually be sued, especially with Google about to buy it for $1.65 billion in stock.

Mr. Asakura said the entertainment industry group might ask YouTube to introduce a preliminary screening process to prevent copyright clips from being posted.

YouTube has been negotiating with leading copyright holders and has reached agreement with several letting the Web site post copyright music videos and other content in exchange for sharing ad revenue.

The company agreed to deploy an audio-signature technology that can spot a low-quality copy of a licensed clip. YouTube would have to substitute an approved version or remove the material.

YouTube has licensing deals with the CBS Corporation and three major recording companies — the Warner Music Group, Vivendi’s Universal Music Group and Sony BMG Music Entertainment, which is a joint venture between Sony and Bertelsmann.

Since YouTube started in February 2005, the company has blossomed, now showing more than 100 million video clips a day. Its worldwide audience was 72.1 million by August, up 2.8 million from a year earlier, according to comScore Media Metrix.

how come shit like this never happened before google bought it >:( >:(

peace

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: YouTube Deletes 30,000 Files After a Copyright Complaint
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 11:40:28 AM »
I heard WWE did the same , its only a mater of time before you tube is just a couple of dumbasses sending video's of themselves.

herpes

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:01:10 PM »
I heard WWE did the same , its only a mater of time before you tube is just a couple of dumbasses sending video's of themselves.
they have been deleting wwe stuff for months now.  And out of majority of the 30,000 videos were anime so who really cares.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »
As long as stupid bitches post up videos of themselves in bikinis while dncing to crappy ass songs, I don't care.

That is what YouTube is all about.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

mrtonguetwista

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 07:26:37 PM »
damn!!  I need to get hi speed