Author Topic: INTERVIEW: Shareefa – Got Reefa?  (Read 53 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
INTERVIEW: Shareefa – Got Reefa?
« on: October 30, 2006, 05:09:09 AM »
by Yo! Raps - www.yoraps.com

Shareefa, the first woman R&B artist to bless the Disturbing Tha Peace label is receiving generous airplay with her single "Need A Boss" produced by Rodney Jerkins which is taken from her forthcoming album “Point Of No Return.”

The Newark, NJ. native has been on the DTP label for two years perfecting her style. Shareefa, who wrote 95% of her album has Teddy Riley to thank for providing his guidence and teaching her the craft of songwriting in her teenage years.

Shareefa's debut album "Point Of No Return" is the fruit of all the hardwork and dedication that was put into the album. Tracks include issues relating to love, hate and indifference.

In an age when everything from fashion to furniture reeks of prefabrication, it is rare to find a realness even in soul music. As the one genre of music that should send shivers through ones body while still managing to touch your heart, much of today's R&B labels as though more thought has gone into the choreography than the songs. And then, there is Shareefa...

How are you this afternoon?

I'm doing good how about you?

I'm great, thanks for asking. You are the first lady of R&B on the Disturbing Tha Peace label. Your single "Need A Boss" is burning up the airwaves right now. What is the next single you plan on releasing and how do you go about making that selection?

The next single is "Cry No More" which is by Rodney Jerkins. It's kinda hard (making the selection) but it was a no brainer almost like it was for "Need A Boss" Another hot joint, another one for the ladies. But it was very hard, it's not easy especially when you have other songs that's hot.

Tell me the story behind the track Phoney…

It’s about phoney friends or girls that I done had in my life that weren’t treating me right. Everything in the dark comes to light, that’s what my mother told me. I’ve spoken to a couple of them briefly since my deal and they were congratulating me on my music. I don’t really have hard feelings I just cut them out of my life and keep it moving.

What kind of message are you trying to put out through I’ll Be Around?

I’m just saying that I’m gonna be around for a long time, I’m here and not going anywhere.

On your upcoming album "Point Of No Return" you wrote all but two songs. How long have you been writing?

Since I was about seventeen. I just learned that was a way to let go of every emotion that I had. Whether I was happy, sad, mad, angry, you know whatever I could write about because it was hot and it was real.

Have you written any songs for other artists or do you have an interest in doing so?

Later on, but around this time it was about "Point Of No Return". I didn't want to lose my focus, I needed to stay focused on what I was doing.

As a child, was being a singer your dream career?

Yes it was. Let me tell you, for Halloween my friends and I would dress up like music groups. One time we were TLC, don't nobody look like TLC in the group. Then another time we were Escape because one of my friends was fat so she was the fat one, and it was so ridiculous because we didn't look like any of them. But anything that had to do with music I was like all in.

When did you realize you had a talent for singing and songwriting?

At the age of 6 or 7 I used to always watch videos. I didn’t come from a musical background, I was the only one who was dancing and making up my own act. I never took singing lessons either, everything is raw. I learned to sing on my own and used to like being in front of the camera.

In your teenage years you were introduced to Teddy Riley. Describe how his influence impacted your life.

He showed me that there is more to singing then opening up your mouth and letting it out. You have to use your voice as an instrument, you have to learn how to play it just like you'd learn how to play the guitar or piano. I learned a lot from Teddy far as voice lessons and things of that nature.

With so many female artists making their mark on the industry, what steps have you taken so that your light shines different from the rest.

Just being myself and telling my story. All stories are similar but none are the same, and no one can tell my story the way I tell my story. So that's how I feel like I'm different.

What do you think of people who say you’ve only made it because of your contacts and not your talent?

They can’t say that to me because I ain’t got contacts! I just got lucky, someone had my CD in their hand and we left it to them. We don’t even know who it was so I definitely didn’t get in through contacts, it’s clearly talent. When they signed me they didn’t have a picture or bio about me, they only knew I could sing and that’s it.

Who are the people in your life that keep you grounded?

God, my mother.

Elaborate on a time in your life when your faith was truly tested.

When I got locked up at age sixteen.

So how did you handle that?

I had to stop acting out and get serious about music and that's actually around the time I met Teddy Riley. I was trying out for a girl group.

What was the name of the group?

"Honey" was the name.

At the end of the day when you have went above and beyond what you planned on accomplishing in the industry, What avenues do you plan on directing your attention to?

I want to look into scripts and all that. Even If I have to write something, that will open doors to a window of opportunities.

What is the one thing you want your fans to know about you that has previously been sheltered?

The fact that I'm a homebody. I like to be home watching movies. A good day would be chilling at home with my sisters relaxing, cooking steaks on the grill and stuff like that.

- By Mya J. & Rashmi Shastri
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com