Author Topic: INTERVIEW: John Legend - Back Once Again  (Read 50 times)

Damien J.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
INTERVIEW: John Legend - Back Once Again
« on: October 30, 2006, 05:09:43 AM »
by Yo! Raps - www.yoraps.com

In 2004, John Legend (then known primarily as an in-demand all-star studio session man) stepped into the solo spotlight as a premier singer-songwriter-pianist-performer in his own right with his debut album Get Lifted. Driven in part by the hit singles "Ordinary People" and "Used To Love U," Get Lifted was a critical and commercial triumph, earning John an astounding eight Grammy nominations and selling more than three million copies worldwide.

Once Again, John's new album, is many things, chief among them, it's a pop/soul album fueled by intelligence, intuition, sensuality, spirit and a creativity made possible when  you're in tune with yourself.  Helping John expand his horizons is an eclectic team which includes Raphael Saadiq, Kanye West, Craig Street and will.i.am, who brought the lead single, "Save Room," to John.

Is Once Again much different to Get Lifted?

It’s a very soulful and organic album. It’s a real musical accomplishment to me. Musically, it’s very strong, even more so than Get Lifted. I took a few different directions with it and explored new avenues.

What kind of life experiences shaped Once Again as an album?

I’ve grown as a person and have been in the business for ten years, I’ve travelled the world, and I’ve been in many relationships. I’ve learned more about myself and about life. That in itself has helped me make this album.

You recorded quite a few tracks for the album, was it hard to choose the tracks for the final cut?

It wasn’t too hard but there were some things that I thought were borderline or didn’t know whether they would fit or not. One crazy thing was that I really loved every single track.

If you could keep only one song from this album and have the others deleted, which would it be?

The most important track to me is Show Me, which is Track 4. It’s the best song I’ve done artistically on this album it’s the most beautiful one. Even if nobody got to hear any of the others I’d want them to hear this.

You’ve known Kanye for many years, how has he supported you?

First of all, even before I got a deal, he was the first major person I knew in music and was able to make some headway for me in his position as a producer. Once his solo career came, he took me on tour with him and that was very helpful. He set me up well to make my own record as well.

I’m sure you get asked to duet with different artists all the time. Who would be your dream duet be?

That would have to be Beyonce. I didn’t have a chance to work with her on this album but hopefully at some point in the future we’ll be able to work together.

Who do you look up to musically?

I listen to all kinds of things. Having a diverse taste in music is important to me because it expands your mind and gives you ideas on how to arrange songs. I listen to Marvin [Gaye] and Stevie [Wonder] or someone like Fiona Apple. I listen to hip hop like Jay-Z, Biggie, OutKast and Kanye or even class Rock and Pop like the Beatles and the Beach Boys. I think all of this gives you ideas and helps you innovate and do interesting things on a record.

It’s easy to forget about the important things while you’re on the road, how do you stay in shape when you’re touring?

When it comes to fitness I have a trainer with me and I try to eat right and we do weightlifting. I think it’s important to stay healthy. If your body’s weak you can’t handle being on tour.

As such a successful artist you’ve travelled all over the world. Which has been your favourite country to visit?

I love Paris, Rome and London. I also enjoyed Cape Town and Johannesburg, definitely Italy as well. I’d like to visit somewhere tropical like Brazil as well but haven’t had the chance yet.

Have you ever thought of buying a place abroad?

I like visiting London and Paris but I’d love to live in Italy. It would be a great place to retire. Right now I love the city life and New York is the place to be. I’m out of town so much and I end up missing it.

You’re a calm guy but have you met any crazy fans while on tour?

Most of my fans are very enthusiastic but they’re never crazy. I don’t get fans waiting underneath the tour bus for me or anything.

What don’t you like about being a famous person?

I don’t really have many complaints and have a great time in life. My life right now is better than it’s ever been. I think it would be easier to be rich without being famous. When you’re famous people know you have money and ask for it a lot. Distant relatives call me and ask for things. I just tell them no. I haven’t bought anything that extravagant apart from my apartment which is very expensive; I also bought some art and furniture. I haven’t really bought any jewellery or cars; I’m not really into that.

- By Rashmi Shastri
Yo! Raps - The Game Belongs To Us | www.yoraps.com