Author Topic: PlayStation 3 Launch Review -- An IGN Editorial  (Read 134 times)

Bomb-A®

PlayStation 3 Launch Review -- An IGN Editorial
« on: November 23, 2006, 09:50:04 AM »
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/747/747413p1.html

The Bottom Line
System launches don't always tell the future. There were mixed reactions to the Xbox 360 last year and now it's thriving. The GameCube and Dreamcast had successful debuts, yet they didn't end up with a market share as big as originally predicted. What does history like this say for the PlayStation 3? The honest answer is that nobody really knows -- they can only speculate. Personally, I think that Sony's brand name and developer support will keep it in a close race for the top, but that's not based on my view of its launch performance... it's just a hunch.

I'll close with this: given the momentum of the Xbox 360 right now and the strong reactions to the Wii's launch last weekend, the PS3 didn't come out swinging hard enough to cement its heralded position as king of the next generation this year. It's a long battle, of course, and Sony is well equipped to deal with it for the long run (as its PS One and PS2 victories have proven). But as the old saying goes, you only get one chance at a first impression -- and for this chance, the PlayStation 3 didn't dominate, it just showed up.

The Bottom Line: 6 out of 10

peace